Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,740 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I am think about relocating from Wisconsin to Arizona here soon. I am trying to decide between Tucson or Phoenix. I have been to both cities before, and they are both really nice, just cant decide between the 2. Which is why its hard for me to decide. So, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 11:57 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Go to Phoenix and if you find it too big, then move to Tucson.

Or go to Tucson and if you find it too small and boring, then go to Phoenix.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:30 AM

No, not really…

Old 08-19-2016, 06:19 AM

404 posts, read 480,313 times
Ivory makes a point that you missed. You need to decide which type of city you prefer. We've always liked the 'little sister' city. When we lived in Dallas/Ft. Worth, we chose Ft. Worth. When we lived in the Twin Cities, we chose St. Paul. To us, Phoenix is too big and we love Tucson. But like the places I mentioned as well as La Crosse, if we want something big city, they are close enough.

Next week we're taking our 2nd trip to Tucson this year. We want to see what the weather is like during the summer. If we still feel the same way after this trip, the next step for us is moving there and renting for a year. After that, if we decide that is where we want to be, we'll buy a house.

You'll get some help from this board in terms of information, ideas and opinions, but to find out what's best for you, go there, spend some time and really get a feel for the places.

Last edited by dirtydan57; 08-19-2016 at 06:28 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 09:47 AM

483 posts, read 665,174 times
If you're interested in Wisconsin-related stuff, the Brewers have Spring Training in Maryvale (Phoenix), there are a couple of Packer bars in Phoenix, and there are a number of Culver's in Phoenix.

Otherwise, the main difference is size (Phoenix...or the metro area, known as The Valley) is huge compared to Tucson. You'll find more restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc. in Phoenix. You'll also find more traffic. They say Tucson may be a few degrees cooler, but once you get over 100, I don't think the difference is noticeable...

We live midway between Phoenix and Tucson so we are able to visit both places with relative ease. Although, we go to Phoenix and the eastern suburbs (Gilbert, Chandler, Tempe) far more than we go to Tucson.

We arrived exactly one year ago yesterday and it's the best decision we ever made.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:41 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
There's no reason to live in Tuscon over Phoenix unless you are not a city guy who is into outdoor activities and you want more of a Southwestern vibe. Granted, there are loads of things to do in Phoenix outdoors (lakes, rivers, hiking) Tuscon just provides prettier outdoor attractions in my opinion.

How old are you? What are you looking for? If you are looking for big city amenities such as restaurants, nightlife, 4 pro sports teams, shopping, museums, cultural/walkable areas like downtown Scottsdale/tempe, ect. then definitly go to Phoenix.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:48 PM

I am leaning towards Phoenix being that the area seems to have a strong republican base and Tucson seems to a little bit more liberal. But the thing I like about Tucson is that its slightly cooler than Phoenix. And yes, I did notice that Phoenix had Culvers, quite shocked to see it when I was down there!

Maybe Phoenix is right for me after all!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:24 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGuy1999 View Post
And yes, I did notice that Phoenix had Culvers, quite shocked to see it when I was down there!

Maybe Phoenix is right for me after all!
Culver's are pretty much found over a good portion of the state, 16 in the Phoenix metroplex, 4 in the Tucson metroplex, 1 in Casa Grande, 1 in Sierra Vista, 1 in Prescott Valley, and 1 coming to Payson.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:54 PM

152 posts, read 298,590 times
You've been to both and still on the fence??? The first time I got to visit Tucson I was excited because I thought it would be nice like phx is... Damn I was disappointed! Really the only reason to relocate to Tucson would be for college... Other than that phx is the way to go, and the east valley phx would be optimal.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:55 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
You'll find most Phoenicians have an abnormal amount of hatred for Tucson. I am an ex-Phoenician (well I live in Phoenix still for three months of the year or so) who actually prefers Tucson. However we do need a lot more details on preferences, employment, etc. before we can make an accurate recommendation.

Tucson Pros:
- Cheaper than Phoenix in housing and one of the cheapest cities in the nation (housing 25% less than average for the nation)
- Lots of family businesses and less chains, so a good chance to support local
- Scenery is better than Phoenix by leagues
- Mount Lemmon is a great summer heat escape and is awesome in general, so are the other Sky Islands that are nearby
- SE Arizona is very interesting geologically with lots of caves and historic mining towns that are worth visiting
- Better hiking opportunities such as Sabino Canyon (has waterfalls and everything, I highly recommend if you're back down here), Tucson Mountains, etc.
- Fourth Avenue is a cheaper Mill Avenue, filled with more dive bars and has a good mix of people.
- Tucsonans are much more down-to-Earth and humble than Phoenicians.
- Tucson has a lot more history

Tucson Cons:
- Lots of homeless people
- Tucson looks rundown, and is, in a lot of areas. Particularly by the freeway which is why people on here are calling it a dump, the nice parts of town cannot be seen from the eye on the freeway
- Pima County taxes are um, higher than Maricopa's
- Tucson's economy is down in the dumps.
- Tucson's traffic is delegated towards three main East-West arteries (Grant, Speedway, Broadway) and if you can do a commute without using any of these three roads, you have a breeze otherwise you are in for some hell. Whatever time you expect to take you from A to B in Phoenix, double your time down here in Tucson if you are relying on surface streets.

Phoenix Pros:
- Airport is actually somewhat decent
- **More city things to do as a whole**
- Better economy
- Better tax structure
- All major sports
- Lots of neighborhoods with different vibes and lifestyles
- Phoenix has multiple lakes that many people like to get drunk at and go boating on
- Phoenix has a way better infrastructure system in place and thus can handle traffic much easier. I do say that rush hours in Phoenix are worse than Tucson despite this, but it's the reverse in the sense that surface streets aren't too bad while freeways are while in Tucson the freeway is a "breezeway" and the surface streets are terrible. Phoenix has amazing quality roads and freeway infrastructure which makes for some of the easiest commuting times in the country.
- Phoenix's rich and poor areas are a bit more integrated, if you move to Tucson you will see those in the Basin almost never venture to the Foothills, and vice versa. Scottsdale is one of the least diverse cities in the nation but you will find people from all of Phoenix's suburbs going into Scottsdale for whatever. There are also a lot of rich neighborhoods next to lower middle class ones (Arrowhead for an example, East Mesa, etc.) which is almost unheard of in Tucson.

Phoenix Cons:
- Phoenix is very hot with no quick summer escape like Tucson does.
- Phoenix's young culture revives around drinking and going to the bars, Tucson is quite a bit different in this aspect for what types of young people they attract. This matters to me as a Millennial.
- Phoenicians have attitudes that they learned from transplants that are highly negative. Native Arizonans tend to have better social behaviors IMO and are less rude than the transplants though again that is a "sometimes" and not always. Tucson being less of a target for transplants carry different social behaviors because of this and as someone who has lived in both this was one of the most noticeable differences for me. I never thought of Phoenix being rude as a whole either until I moved out of there. I have met quite a few transplants from various parts of the nation who have social manners I would qualify as "rude" and they tend to live in Scottsdale or the new Master Planned Communities out in the burbs especially Chandler and Gilbert. Since you are a transplant yourself you will have an easier time with these different mannerisms than I do as a native here, but I thought it was important to note that the two cities do behave differently.
- Phoenix and Tucson have similar pay structures I have noticed for jobs. This is important to note because of the noticeable COL difference in rent/housing and differences in taxes.

I hope this helps but again we need more details from you before anyone can make a solid recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona