Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:00 AM

15 posts, read 17,297 times

Advertisements

Okay thank you I have been googling more about crimes, schools and jobs, etc and it's really not helping but thank you everyone for your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 02:44 PM

7,647 posts, read 9,999,455 times
I'm not trying to sound racist, but you might feel more comfortable and have a better chance in a state like Texas where blacks are more integrated. Not sure how many conservative white republican men in AZ will seek out a black barber. They aren't overtly being racist, just there are plenty of service options and I suspect they gravitate to where they feel comfortable. Probably not an issue in an urban area though.

The AZ black population is about 2% outside of Phoenix if that. We have about five in our town (of 40,000) one is my painter, one came from Somalia and is very nice. I don't know the others. Southern AZ is about 30% hispanic, I heard 42% somewhere but that seems high. Phoenix and Tuscon have the highest numbers I think.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:57 PM

26,173 posts, read 22,351,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Let's see your husband is a barber and you're in the healthcare field.

Arizona has military bases in West Valley PHX, Tucson, Sierra Vista, and Yuma. Great places for barbers. Healthcare? AZ has a ton of old farts that need healthcare for half the year or more.

I think you'll do fine. I worked at the hospital in Yuma, and there was a black lady in the health records department that loved Yuma and didn't want to leave, thought I was crazy because I didn't like it. She was from South Carolina and said Yuma was the only place she had ever lived where she was never called any names or treated respectfully. Just a note of caution though, Yuma is the hottest city in the U.S.
This ^^^. Look around the military bases, I would look at the Sierra Vista area around Fort Huachucha. We lived in north of Tucson for 6 years and there were a few blacks in that area and it wasn't considered a big deal. Generally, what I have found is that in the more "rich" areas, you find more prejudice.

I am wondering OP, why you want to move to AZ. That might make it easier to help you see whether it is a good choice and/or what part of the state would be the best fit. We moved there from Kansas and learned it was quite expensive and the summers very long and very hot. I am originally from Michigan.

I do not think you would see outright racism. I would think the kids being black wouldn't make a difference. I am from Michigan and white, but I have zero tolerance for racists!

Old 10-29-2016, 08:08 PM

We feel we want to move there because it look something to start all over and a great place with family. we want to come visit before we make up our mind. I don't want to move somewhere it's expensive and have winter lol but my husband really don't like heat but he will take it if he have to.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 PM

83 posts, read 80,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I'm not trying to sound racist, but you might feel more comfortable and have a better chance in a state like Texas where blacks are more integrated. Not sure how many conservative white republican men in AZ will seek out a black barber. They aren't overtly being racist, just there are plenty of service options and I suspect they gravitate to where they feel comfortable. Probably not an issue in an urban area though.

The AZ black population is about 2% outside of Phoenix if that. We have about five in our town (of 40,000) one is my painter, one came from Somalia and is very nice. I don't know the others. Southern AZ is about 30% hispanic, I heard 42% somewhere but that seems high. Phoenix and Tuscon have the highest numbers I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Jukesgrrl;[/b]45516580]Your race is nowhere near as big an issue as your financial situation. It's very unlikely that a barber with no customer following built up is going to make enough money to afford to support a family in a house in an area with a good school. This is a state filled with fiscal conservatives who don't want to part with a dime unless they absolutely have to — not to mention millions of retirees. So don't expect income from generous tips. They are going to be few and far between.

The biggest racists are the liberals that have relocated to our great state creating typical liberal paranoia with no facts to back it up. I don't know how Jukes got $500 from City Data with this kind of attitude.

Arizona has always leaned liberatarian-conservative rather than religious right conservative of the bible belt. Most black people that have moved here are either middle class or well off. I have found from living in other cities that the group that is the most denigrated, is the group that commits the most crimes which tends to be within the poor class. Is that fair? No, but most of the poor get tarnished because of the few in gangs which commit the most heinous crimes.

Take a look at Mesa, Glendale, Surprise and Anthem as they are reasonably priced and nice areas to live. The heat will be much more of a factor than racism for you and it will take some getting used to.

Last edited by wizdum; 10-29-2016 at 09:41 PM..

Old 11-05-2016, 10:15 AM

Thank you so much

Old 11-05-2016, 10:20 AM

Okay what about laveen, phoenix and scottdale

Old 11-05-2016, 10:52 AM

9,185 posts, read 16,722,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanisha26 View Post
Very odd grouping of cities. Laveen is way West and not appealing at all unless it's all you can afford. Phoenix is a huge, diverse city and Scottsdale is a large, mostly affluent suburb of sorts.

You'll want to ask more specific questions.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:46 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,760,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanisha26 View Post
Laveen-
Probably the most affordable area, but I have serious reservations about safety there. We had a house built in Laveen when they started developing it back in 2005 and immediately regretted it after we moved in! Out of state landlords rented to any and everyone and before you knew it we had home invasions and shootings happening on a regular basis. I remember one time around midnight we heard gunfire that sounded like it was in our back yard. I went outside and drove around the corner and saw one of my neighbors standing in his driveway holding a gun and bleeding from being shot in the leg! He said he had interrupted a group of men who tried to carjack his son in front of their house. Shortly thereafter there was another shooting at the local gas station. Needless to say we got out of there as quick as we could! It may be more settled now. We have good friends who live there and they seem to like it.

Phoenix, AZ one poster said, is huge city so you will have to be more specific . Scottsdale is very nice but a little more expensive to live in.
You definitely need to visit to see if Arizona is for you.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:36 AM

Wow that is crazy and scary I have two little kids and I don't want them to be around that but yes me and my husband and my kids are planning to come visit I think in January. SO hopefully we will like it. I don't really know anything about Phoenix except you said it's a big city so I would like to see what you guys are talking about. Now the cities where we want to move to is a big questions because again we don't know anything about arizona or no family oriented city to raise a family of four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona