Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:19 PM

10 posts, read 43,205 times

Advertisements

My wife and I want to move to AZ, S AZ preferred. Thinking of Tucson to Benson - gotta have High Speed Internet. Can be Mobile Home or house. But we are limited in finances and in body. She has allergies, I have a bad back and we both have bad legs from someone running into us while we were on a motorcycle.

We are looking to find a place to live that doesn't have snow (or very very little), with very mild winters, We are also looking for a place to live that does not have a high cost of living. We would sell our small home here in PA and move. We have to find the right place for us. I have worked with Deaf since 1994 as a pastor and ministry leader with the Deaf, myself being Hard of Hearing (Latened) but sign ASL. We want to continue contact with the Deaf - perhaps in a church setting, but not exclusively with the Deaf. I need less stress from full time ministry. We would like to go to a decently large size church with good worship and teaching - it is time for receiving in our lives. We have been thinking of out side Tucson - some have said not South Tucson nor west Tucson.. We are clueless...

We definitely want to stay involved in SASS (Single Action Shooters Society) of which there are 6 in the Tucson area.

Ok, does anyone have any suggestions? I heard there is a Deaf School in Tucson, so I am kinda looking in that direction. We would also like to be about to travel to Mexico a bit - so seems Tucson area fits...but costs??? I dunno. We would appreciate any advice, input, feedback we can get. Our hearts long for AZ. We love the cowboy scene, too.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

(I have posted this at some other place - But thought should start new thread to keep it related to my question. Sorry if it causes confusion.)

Last edited by DeafRanger; 11-28-2006 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Add Info/Change Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 04:17 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times
You might check out the south east valley, Queen Creek area. Globe is cheap but there is not much of a town to it. Pinal county and Maricopa have some great priced homes there and new shopping is popping up all around. My daughter just bought a new Shea home for $189,000 and it is 1,600 square feet. You did not indicate how much you could spend on a home or if you were going to rent. Do talk to a realtor before making a big move.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:29 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Tucson is home to the Arizona Schools for the Deaf and Blind. There are satellite campuses in many locations around the state. They have a web site you can google. I was just looking at it. They have a lot of job vacancies if you're qualified. There is also a volunteer coordinator who could probably point you to faith-based organizations that help out.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info...I checked Google Earth and found the places...Most are more north than we want to be. Kinda had in mind looking toward Tucson and Southeast but not too far...Looked at Benson but seems a bit far to drive for church and involvement in Deaf things. Seems their churches are rather small, too..Would like to find a place btwn Bensonish and Tucsonish. I appreciated the towns you suggested. Any knowledge like you shared is what we are looking for...This will help our searches. Thanks so much. We are currently looking for a range of $60K-225K We would like some land too (if possible - though it is looking doubtful) for riding an ATV/horse, etc. Thought maybe buy land in the north AZ and live in the south. Here in PA we have 130 acres but doesn't compare price per acre as AZ. So that is a bit more info. We are not looking for a big home (taxes will be influencical). Rural is not a problem but South. Looking to frequent trips into Mexico so want to be south and relatively near freeway access and quick access to Mexico and Tucson (Benson is seeming the best up till now but want closer to Tucson for daily living/events.) We are checking online newspapers/realtors etc. I am not trying to ramble - just expressing thoughts as they come up and trying to bring clarity to our situation to enable people to give us the best input. Ok, enough for now, I guess...

Old 12-03-2006, 04:15 PM

Thanks for your input. I was not aware of the satellite campuses. I will check their web page. I am unable to work much due to back problems and limitations to sitting or standing. With sufficient medication I can endure to a certain amount. I am looking for a less formal involvement. I have pretty much put off my hearing culture and become more Deaf culture and enjoy the relationships. I am hoping for opportunities to become the little Dutch Boy and stick my finger in the **** and help out in situations, without lots of stress - smile.

Additionally, I have thought I may like to join the Arizona Rangers. I understand it is a good organization for doing public service. May be too much for me but I am interested...I have read about it and checked their web site still sounds interesting. OK, will check on the ASDB web page - thanks.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:25 AM

218 posts, read 1,487,288 times
Casas Adobes Baptist Church, in the northwest Tucson area around Oro Valley, might be a good home church for you. They are a large church, and there is a need for deaf ministry with at least one teenager there.

Here's their website: http://www.casaschurch.org/

Welcome to Southern Arizona. Some northwest communities to consider living in: Catalina, Oro Valley, Marana, Casas Adobes & Tortollita (no city taxes in these last two - I think?)

Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,360 times
Default Looking for a Church with a Deaf ministry in Tucson

Dear DeafRanger:

Hello! I have been involved in Deaf ministries in Arizona for more than 25 years. I just happened to see your posting about Tucson, and there are some great needs there still. But there are two newer Deaf ministries (less than 2 yrs old) on the north side of Tucson that are pretty good. Both of them are on Orange Grove Rd. One is an excellent interpreted ministry at Faith Community Church that really involves the Deaf people in all the church activities and has about 12 Deaf persons now attending. The other is an indigenous Baptist Deaf church (Desert Springs Baptist Church?) that is meeting at a funeral home chapel with about 15 or so Deaf persons every week. I hear very good things about both of these.

Other church ministries that I am aware of:
--Casa Adobes Baptist Church had a Deaf ministry many years ago, but have not really had anything active to my knowledge for a long time.
--Victory Assembly of God on the northside has an interpreter for Sunday morning worship.
--Calvary Chapel in south Tucson has an interpreter.
--"The Door" Christian Fellowship in south Tucson has an interpreter.
--New Testament Baptist Church (Independent Baptist) has a Deaf group with Deaf Pastor Kit Carson.
--Palo Verde Church of Christ has an interpreted ministry.
--Sacred Heart Catholic Church has an interpreted ministry.
--Fountain of Life Lutheran Church has an interpreted ministry.

There may be a lot more information I could give you depending on your specific needs - you are welcome to contact me personally at dstiles@earthlink.net

Blessings,

Rev. Debbie Stiles
Pastor/interpreter in the Phoenix area

Old 12-31-2006, 09:16 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to you for your reply and help. While I am disabled, I can do some volunteer work. So your input is really good for me. Thank you very much.
Ron

Old 12-31-2006, 09:22 PM

Hello, I appreciate your input and I will be trying to make contact with these ministries in the near future. Our goal is to be able to live "Tucson-ish" and be involved in ministry with the Deaf in some dimension. Hopefully in the "finger in the ****" manner. We are currently praying for the open doors and closed doors as well. We are trusting God's leading and timing. Please keep us in your prayers. Pray for our sensitivity to the Lord's leadings and directions.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:46 PM

8 posts, read 84,145 times
Default Tucson / Real Estate/ ASDB/ Deaf Ministry Opps

Hi, I just happened to find your post while googling something else. Perhaps I can be of some help. I moved to Tucson in 1986 for my first teaching job at ASDB. Still here after all these years because I fell in love with Tucson! There are a variety of opportunities to work with the Deaf here in town. The satellite locations someone else mentioned are through ASDB's regional programs for the Deaf as well as with our cooperative programs. If you end up moving this way, there is also COPD (The Community Outreach Program for the Deaf). Many churches here with needs for Deaf ministry. If you are looking for an honest, christian Tucson realtor, then please contact Cindy Harrison with ReMax Premier here in town. She has helped many folks at ASDB buy and sell their homes for the last 20 years and knows the area very well. She is honest and upfront when it comes to helping you purchase a home...she won't let you buy in a "bad" area. I have used Cindy twice and she is wonderful and signs too! She can be reached at: (520) 544-7402
or...Cindy.Harrison@GoTucsonHomes.com

Tucson is a great place to live but land is hard to come by...you might look at Catalina or Oracle. Talk to Cindy and she'll help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona