Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:58 PM

2,927 posts, read 3,130,259 times

Advertisements

Ok, this thread really needs this very important public service announcement/information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI

I think the lady has a good point. It does look like deer hunters would have the best luck in WV and then SD.

Seriously though, I did hit a (moo) cow up here on the mountain about 13 years ago. Odds are better that you will hit an elk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 05:31 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,258,063 times
The first time I saw that video, I laughed until I had tears in my eyes. I shared that link with my kids when they were here to visit.

About 30 years ago, I visited Grand Canyon with my family. We were heading back from the canyon and it was dusk. I started breaking and my cousin (who was in the passenger seat) asked me why I was breaking. A minute later, he spotted the deer, and it was a big one. I'm glad I slowed down when I did. I had to turn my headlights off before the deer left the road!

Old 10-07-2016, 01:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,993,388 times
There are some herds of deer that roam about Diamond Valley for a good chunk of the year. During some months I encounter them 3 out of 4 evenings while out walking my dogs. I've almost hit a few with my car coming around a blind curve but so far I have been lucky. Someone killed a huge buck with like an 8 point antler with a car earlier this year...his body was gone in about 20 minutes.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:11 PM

7,649 posts, read 10,008,178 times
I used to do mountain jogging. I was jogging along a trail one day and apparently a deer was bedded down in some bushes by the trail. I must have woken it up as it jumped out of the bushes and hit me! We both went head over teakettle in a tangle of arms, legs, and deer hoofs.

I'm not sure which of us was more suprised. It untangled itself and ran off. I sat there kind of, "What just happened." LOL

I'm very lucky I didn't get seriously kicked or injured.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:13 PM

7,649 posts, read 10,008,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Someone killed a huge buck with like an 8 point antler with a car earlier this year...his body was gone in about 20 minutes.
Roadkill delight!

Old 10-08-2016, 12:08 AM

16,415 posts, read 30,457,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I noticed that but wonder why New Mexico had such high numbers compared to us.

In 2014, when I was driving out to Tucson, my wife and I took some time and drove through Ruidoso, NM.
That day, we drove through some of the communities in that area and we saw in excess of 200 deer. Later, when we were walking, we saw six deer laying down in a yard. I would have expected that the deer would pop up and take off. Not one moved.

I think that New Mexico has more deer.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:26 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,576,321 times
Ruidoso has deer come in and hang out in the town. I imagine some homeowners report deer eating their flowers and plants...from time-to-time.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:31 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,095,074 times
I hit a huge elk in Flag about 15 years ago. The 1/4 ton pickup I was in looked like it was rolled.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:57 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,576,321 times
I hit a huge elk in Flag about 15 years ago. The 1/4 ton pickup I was in looked like it was rolled.

No doubt - an elk is a large animal. Glad you survived it!

Old 10-11-2016, 07:59 PM

368 posts, read 399,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
The first time I saw that video, I laughed until I had tears in my eyes. I shared that link with my kids when they were here to visit.

About 30 years ago, I visited Grand Canyon with my family. We were heading back from the canyon and it was dusk. I started breaking and my cousin (who was in the passenger seat) asked me why I was breaking. A minute later, he spotted the deer, and it was a big one. I'm glad I slowed down when I did. I had to turn my headlights off before the deer left the road!
I was at the Grand Canyon today, having just left Desert View and was driving back to my hotel. Right around Grandview Point, a few cars are stopped ahead of me and a bunch of cars from both directions have pulled off to the side. A decently sized elk casually crosses the road being pursued by a couple dozen people trying to snatch some photos. Very dangerous situation as they seemed completely oblivious to the fact that some of us were actually trying to get by. This was at about 2:00. I'd heard lots of warnings to stay off the roads at night, but this was a bit of a surprise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona