Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:11 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,646,760 times

Advertisements

According to ADOT, the I-17 fix is too costly, of $125 million.

ADOT: I-17 traffic fix too costly to be feasible | The Daily Courier | Prescott, AZ

That's a load of BS in my opinion. Take a look at the interstate west of Denver called I-70. They managed to widen it to 3 lanes both directions up to Empire. West of the Eisenhower tunnel, it's 3 lanes both directions and the inclines and passes are MUCH more steep than anything on I-17.

If it was done in Colorado on I-70, it can be accomplished on I-17. Time to widen it, no excuses.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6670...2!8i6656?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
CO has all that pot money though! Maybe we will too soon enough.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
CO has all that pot money though! Maybe we will too soon enough.
Marijuana money isn't going to transportation funds, only schools.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:00 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,972,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Marijuana money isn't going to transportation funds, only schools.
With their well funded schools, the newly well-educated employees at CDOT are able to accomplish more with less.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:19 PM

551 posts, read 694,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
With their well funded schools, the newly well-educated employees at CDOT are able to accomplish more with less.
They clearly teach all of the engineering, computer skills required for lane expansion, and job management in K-12.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,924,636 times
Quote:

ADOT: I-17 traffic fix too costly to be feasible | The Daily Courier | Prescott, AZ

That's a load of BS in my opinion. Take a look at the interstate west of Denver called I-70. They managed to widen it to 3 lanes both directions up to Empire. West of the Eisenhower tunnel, it's 3 lanes both directions and the inclines and passes are MUCH more steep than anything on I-17.

If it was done in Colorado on I-70, it can be accomplished on I-17. Time to widen it, no excuses.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6670...2!8i6656?hl=en
That's just stupid there, ADOT. The 17's a major highway with NO surface street option next to it.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,641,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That's just stupid there, ADOT. The 17's a major highway with NO surface street option next to it.
There is an alternate way between Phoenix and Flag, 87 to Clints Well, then Coconino National Forest Rd 3/Lake Mary Rd, paved the whole way and goes right into Flagstaff

Old 10-27-2016, 03:02 AM

Here's an idea, if that section of I-17 is always having problems with traffic and blind spots, ADOT should consider a cheaper alternative. Add frontage roads from Black Canyon city to Sunset Point on the east side of I-17, it's flat and plenty of land.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:14 AM

576 posts, read 833,621 times
There were some really great comments at the bottom of that article. I had to laugh about the comments about affording roundabouts - soooo true! Some of the comments had great ideas for alternatives. I particularly agree with those regarding the root cause of the backups - speeders and subsequent gawkers.

I too, would love to see this stretch widened, but if nothing is done to decrease the number of accidents, all that will result is a wider parking lot because the gawkers will still slow down to see what is going on. Plus, having another lane will increase the opportunities for speeders - which could actually lead to more accidents. People just need to be patient through that stretch and slow down. I know, I know.... THAT'S not going to happen!

Old 10-27-2016, 12:23 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:

I'm glad you're not buying all the "lack of revenue" excuses which ADOT is notorious for. You're a new resident, and you probably aren't aware of all the excuses, the lies, and the revenue squandering this agency has been involved in for many years. Every time something happens on a freeway or highway which needs attention, ADOT is always quick with their "lack of money" answer. There are a few posters here who echo the same lame excuses, but they're very misinformed.

I17 north of Phoenix becomes a parking lot the very minute an accident occurs. Pretty much anywhere on I17 north of Anthem has no exits that serve as alternate routes (87 and Lake Mary Road do not count as alternates). I realize a lot of this is the result of idiotic drivers, but there should still be a wider interstate which doesn't need to be completely closed even when a serious accident occurs. Shutting down an entire freeway for one accident is mainly the fault of DPS, but that's another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
There were some really great comments at the bottom of that article. I had to laugh about the comments about affording roundabouts - soooo true! Some of the comments had great ideas for alternatives. I particularly agree with those regarding the root cause of the backups - speeders and subsequent gawkers.

I too, would love to see this stretch widened, but if nothing is done to decrease the number of accidents, all that will result is a wider parking lot because the gawkers will still slow down to see what is going on. Plus, having another lane will increase the opportunities for speeders - which could actually lead to more accidents. People just need to be patient through that stretch and slow down. I know, I know.... THAT'S not going to happen!
Good points, but speed isn't the cause of backups ... slowpokes are mainly to blame for that! It's a matter of knowing WHEN to slow down & proceed with caution. I definitely agree about the rubberneckers/gawkers. There again, they cause the backups because they SLOW DOWN unnecessarily and cause others behind them to hit the brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona