Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 03:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
What if you're within a Rural/Metro service area?

What about private utilities? Should they be allowed to pick and choose who they service water/electricity to?

Those are regulated entities and are public services. A baker or photographer are not the same thing.

So if you ran a business, say as a photographer, you feel that you should be forced by the government to take photos of every fetish out there, even if you are repulsed by it, just because it is someone else right to enjoy that fetish?

Why does the left feel they have the right to express themselves and their beliefs but a business owner doesn't have the right to express themselves as they believe? Mind boggling.

No one is talking about hate crimes, violence, embarrassment, harassment or anything else. Just simply refusing to do business with someone because they believe differently. No shoes, no shirt, no service.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:35 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Those are regulated entities and are public services. A baker or photographer are not the same thing.

So if you ran a business, say as a photographer, you feel that you should be forced by the government to take photos of every fetish out there, even if you are repulsed by it, just because it is someone else right to enjoy that fetish?

Why does the left feel they have the right to express themselves and their beliefs but a business owner doesn't have the right to express themselves as they believe? Mind boggling.

No one is talking about hate crimes, violence, embarrassment, harassment or anything else. Just simply refusing to do business with someone because they believe differently. No shoes, no shirt, no service.
Rural/Metro Fire Department is a private company providing high-quality, cost-effective fire service. Rural/Metro Fire Department is not funded by tax dollars. We are a subscription based fire department supported through annual fees by a yearly membership.

https://www.ruralmetrofire.com/main-subscriptions.html

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm trying to figure out the distinction you're making. It's okay so long as its not for a service that might or might not kill you?

Old 11-04-2016, 03:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:

What you're saying is that you're opposed to all anti-discrimination laws for private businesses. Once you're using a walker and crapping yourself, your tune would probably change if businesses were able to discriminate against the elderly, as one example. It's easy to say go somewhere else, until you're being told that you can't get served.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:15 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,636 times
Quote:
Typical of the left, throw out some analogy that is in no way relevant.

A police officer or firefighter are public servants paid for by taxpayers. They must perform their duties regardless of their feelings about anything.

A private business owner should be allowed to run his/her business however they see fit. If you don't like it, don't support them. If enough people quit supporting that business they will change their policy or go out of business.
It is relevant, especially when your kind backs Kim Davis, a public servant who refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses. I don't see you people agreeing that she needs to pay the consequences for refusing to do her public job.

If you want to take this to the private sector, then let's say it's okay to deny services because of religious convictions. That now means an Orthodox Jewish man can ask women if they're on their period, a Muslim cab driver can refuse to pick up someone from a bar, and an atheist can collect a paycheck while denying service to anyone who believes in any religion, and it can be perfectly legal if "religious liberty" is to become a thing. I apologize, because conservative brains seem to not work in a way that allows them to see the big picture, thus I'm sure you just had difficulty grasping that, so let me try to bring up an existing law offering similar protections: FMLAs. These are protections ON THE BOOKS NOW that make it very difficult to get rid of dead weight in the office. I've known people who blatantly abused this protection, either to get out of doing actual work or to just take a day off whenever they want. Because it's protected, the company can't do much about it except for maybe a technicality. You start allowing people to deny services based on religious convictions and you'll open up this can of worms.

Quote:
Rural/Metro Fire Department is a private company providing high-quality, cost-effective fire service. Rural/Metro Fire Department is not funded by tax dollars. We are a subscription based fire department supported through annual fees by a yearly membership.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm trying to figure out the distinction you're making. It's okay so long as its not for a service that might or might not kill you?
And thank you, for showing something he clearly didn't think of. I would also throw in security guards and many doctors, nurses and paramedics.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
It is relevant, especially when your kind backs Kim Davis, a public servant who refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses. I don't see you people agreeing that she needs to pay the consequences for refusing to do her public job.

If you want to take this to the private sector, then let's say it's okay to deny services because of religious convictions. That now means an Orthodox Jewish man can ask women if they're on their period, a Muslim cab driver can refuse to pick up someone from a bar, and an atheist can collect a paycheck while denying service to anyone who believes in any religion, and it can be perfectly legal if "religious liberty" is to become a thing. I apologize, because conservative brains seem to not work in a way that allows them to see the big picture, thus I'm sure you just had difficulty grasping that, so let me try to bring up an existing law offering similar protections: FMLAs. These are protections ON THE BOOKS NOW that make it very difficult to get rid of dead weight in the office. I've known people who blatantly abused this protection, either to get out of doing actual work or to just take a day off whenever they want. Because it's protected, the company can't do much about it except for maybe a technicality. You start allowing people to deny services based on religious convictions and you'll open up this can of worms.

And thank you, for showing something he clearly didn't think of. I would also throw in security guards and many doctors, nurses and paramedics.
My kind? You have no idea what "my kind" is. I'm very socially liberal. I'm of the mind of live and let live.

I did not support Kim Davis, she was a public servant and should have been fired the first time she refused to issue a legal document to someone who qualified for that document. Kim Davis isn't the "owner", she is an employee of a government agency. Employees of any business or government agency should have NO SAY, the owner (or voters in the case of government agencies) should decide these things and the employee must abide or find employment elsewhere.

And again you're confusing the argument, you're throwing employment law into a discussion that isn't about employment law. I don't know what your example of the Family and Medical Leave Act has to do with a discussion about business owners having the ability to chose who they do business with?

I'm going to end this discussion with you because you can't seem to stay on track.

Last edited by LBTRS; 11-04-2016 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
What you're saying is that you're opposed to all anti-discrimination laws for private businesses. Once you're using a walker and crapping yourself, your tune would probably change if businesses were able to discriminate against the elderly, as one example. It's easy to say go somewhere else, until you're being told that you can't get served.
When it comes to private business? I most certainly am opposed to it.

If I, as a straight white male, walk into a gay bar the owner should be able to ask me to leave. If I walk into a black club, the owner should be able to ask me to leave. If I walk into a women's gym, the owner should be able to ask me to leave. If I walk into a restaurant and the owner doesn't like the socks I'm wearing he/she should be able to ask me to leave.

Government should protect us from government. I'm all about anit-discrimination laws for government agencies, regulated agencies, public services and large businesses where a monopoly exists (cable companies, phone companies, etc.).

I have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms, however, you're fine with a private business being able to "discriminate" against me and say I'm not welcome if I'm exercising my right. How come this is okay with you? An FYI...I'm also fine with it as private business should be able to discriminate against anyone they want when it comes to who they do business with. If I don't like it I can take my business/dollars elsewhere and not support that business.

Last edited by LBTRS; 11-04-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 07:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, and not to derail this thread but I had to correct your assessment of R/M. It is the exact opposite of what you describe <bold>. In my and many of my neighbors opinions they are a complete joke and should be run out of AZ. This is in no way meant to be a hit against their actual Fire Fighters as they just work there, just the business itself and how it operates (or often doesn't).

Oh wait, I see you work for them...

Old 11-04-2016, 08:25 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm sorry, and not to derail this thread but I had to correct your assessment of R/M. It is the exact opposite of what you describe <bold>. In my and many of my neighbors opinions they are a complete joke and should be run out of AZ. This is in no way meant to be a hit against their actual Fire Fighters as they just work there, just the business itself and how it operates (or often doesn't).

Oh wait, I see you work for them...
I provided a link where I cut and pasted the info.

I just don't even know what to say sometimes.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:29 PM

394 posts, read 343,037 times
Terms like "you people" and "your kind" being thrown about...

This has become one of the most separatist threads I've seen here... I won't bother to say which "side" is perpetuating it (it's a shame that society has become "sides").

I will say - there is a ton of hypocritical stuff being thrown about. Such righteous nonsense.

If you have to ask for clarification about any of the above, you either didn't read any of it or you are trying to perpetuate further.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Terms like "you people" and "your kind" being thrown about...

This has become one of the most separatist threads I've seen here... I won't bother to say which "side" is perpetuating it (it's a shame that society has become "sides").

I will say - there is a ton of hypocritical stuff being thrown about. Such righteous nonsense.

If you have to ask for clarification about any of the above, you either didn't read any of it or you are trying to perpetuate further.
Thanks for sharing your opinion of this threwad. Super informative as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona