Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:59 PM

1,013 posts, read 979,347 times

Advertisements

Narcissists.com down oh no!

Old 11-25-2016, 07:39 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,997,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Facebook has been out for almost 2 days now for many Arizonans. The outage affected many states, as well as Europe. Anyone else having problems getting in ?
Has it really? This is the first I've heard of it, no one has mentioned it and there's no sources claiming a global Facebook panic.

Switch to YouFace and ditch your cable provider for KableTown (yes, with a "K").

Old 11-25-2016, 08:48 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I would count this as a blessing. Maybe people can start to get a life . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Could not agree more! What a waste of bandwidth Facebook is. I call it the "Look at me everybody, look at me" website.
You old farts realize you can make your Facebook experience what you want and can unfriend and unlike things that come up on your page? For many of us who have lived around the country and met many people, it's an amazing way to stay in touch with people and have access to information about social events.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:00 AM

576 posts, read 833,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
You old farts realize you can make your Facebook experience what you want and can unfriend and unlike things that come up on your page? For many of us who have lived around the country and met many people, it's an amazing way to stay in touch with people and have access to information about social events.
Us old farts use an invention called the telephone to keep in touch with distant friends and relatives. A tad bit more personal.

About a year ago, a friend of mine found out her sister was getting married by reading it on her facebook page! She called her parents and they didn't know about it either! I don't know, seems a bit impersonal to me.

Just because times are changing, doesn't mean I have to!

Old 11-26-2016, 07:01 AM

576 posts, read 833,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Narcissists.com down oh no!
Perfect!

Old 11-28-2016, 06:17 AM

1,013 posts, read 979,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Us old farts also realize that anything posted is public record forever, and that Facebooks edits your posts and sells your personal information.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:36 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Us old farts also realize that anything posted is public record forever, and that Facebooks edits your posts and sells your personal information.
You don't have to post things to use facebook.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:41 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,712,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Some people have business dealings on Facebook, and can reach several hundred customers in one post. There are groups for people who would not be able to relate the locals in a town full of ignorant phobic bigots, and the groups provide a positive outlet in the way of intelligent banter, practical advice, and friendship. Foreigners can join a group in order to learn more about old cars, food, and customs in the states. There are pages for people who have lost loved ones, dog breeds, any number of subjects. Yahoo groups are dull by comparison. I love seeing old photographs on Facebook, and finding out what happened to my high school chums. I don't make my FB page all about ME.
I couldn't agree more. I admit to getting distracted by facebook and wasting some time.
but that is my problem, not facebook.

I find so many people on facebook that I can talk to about my interests, and learn from, and share with, and connect to. Climate change, anthropology, my musical tastes, health, on and on....

I live in a small town, and sure there are some people in real life who I communicate with, and yes I value real life contact above any social media contact, but the fact is I can expand my circle of friends and acquaintances exponentially via facebook, including internationally.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:33 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,510,449 times
I couldn't agree more. I admit to getting distracted by facebook and wasting some time.
but that is my problem, not facebook.

I find so many people on facebook that I can talk to about my interests, and learn from, and share with, and connect to. Climate change, anthropology, my musical tastes, health, on and on....

I live in a small town, and sure there are some people in real life who I communicate with, and yes I value real life contact above any social media contact, but the fact is I can expand my circle of friends and acquaintances exponentially via facebook, including internationally.

I agree with ellenrr- most of the stuff I learn is kind of the "oh, wow, I didn't know that about Fred" kind of stuff. It isn't all good or all bad news, it's real life information. Some friends probably inflate their worth on Facebook, but that's true of them if they were talking to you on the phone, too. So, overall, yes, Facebook can be a time-waster, but, duh, then don't waste time on it! Like most all things in life, it's what we put in to it, or don't put in to it that determines it's worth to us. Right? Don't some of you have some things that you like that others scoff at? I'll bet you do! Facebook may or may not fall in to that kind of category, then, for you.

I say that no one has a right to tell you that Facebook is a bunch of hooey for you or I. Period.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:57 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,086,203 times
People, the AZ forum is for threads pertinent to AZ. This thread has turned into arguments for and against social media. Consequently, it's now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona