Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 855 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Chicago(Illinois) and looking to head to somewhere warmer like Arizona. The place I'm in now is overpriced and the local area taxes makes shopping for food that's not filled with chemicals difficult. I am on disability and receive less than $800 a month which goes towards rent, transportation, and bills. Anything left over is usually put towards food because the $60 worth of Food Stamps I receive can be gone after just one small trip to a store here. When I budget with the FS Card I can get maybe $30 of food that lasts a week, and the other $30 saved until the end of the month, the in-between days I'll stretch meals or use the money from the disability check to avoid starving. I don't buy new clothes or shoes or any luxuries because I know if I spend like $5 on something it'll only bite back at me at a later time when it's needed.

Getting a job has been very difficult and I have spent years applying for work from anyone that would hire me, and in the end I'm rejected due to not being qualified or the opening was recently closed. I want to work and I hate sitting around with nothing to do, meanwhile I see people on Facebook complaining about having to go to their jobs. I wish I could take their place! lol.

Anyway, long story short...
Is moving to Arizona the better choice based on my circumstances? I understand realistically speaking I need a higher income to move anywhere, though living in Chicago feels like I'm filling a bucket with water but the bucket has a hole in the bottom of it. I'm mentally and physically drained from it, and this place doesn't make me happy anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 11:39 PM

83 posts, read 79,823 times
A little background: I was born in Chicago, raised in AZ but went back to Chicago for college. My question to you would be do you drive and would you have a car here? The main cities here are all spread out so to go to work, you either need to be on a bus or train line. It's doable but will take some planning.

Also, what field of work are you in? If it is customer service (phone centers), medical or sales, you shouldn't have a problem. If I were you, look at the jobs listings and pay then look at the rentals and see what you can realistically afford.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:55 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,253,318 times
If you're serious about moving to Arizona, then I suggest using the Social Serve website. Combine this information with the city/town information available on CD (not here on the forum) which will provide you with demographics, crime and temperature information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona