Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:44 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,738,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Springerville, AZ -> Pie Town, NM -> down a lonely dirt road (W Bar Rd -> Pie Town Rd, etc) to NM 12 west of Datil -> Reserve -> over another rough dirt road (Pueblo Park Rd. - high clearance vehicle and not for the faint of heart) to Blue, AZ.

Just after Christmas I went down old US 666.

Eager -> Alpine -> Clifton -> Safford

Two awesome drives.
Pie Town? Cool, I was there last summer, passing through on my way to TX:

Hurricane UT --> Colorado City AZ --> Fredonia AZ --> Jacob Lake AZ --> Cliff Dwellers Lodge AZ --> Marble Canyon AZ -->
..Lees Ferry AZ --> Page AZ --> Kayenta AZ --> Monument Valley AZ & UT --> Mexican Hat UT -->
....Four Corners --> Shiprock NM --> Gallup NM --> Quemado NM -->
......Pie Town NM (we stooped for pie, of course!) --> VLA Socorro NM --> Carrizozo NM -->
........White Sands NM --> and then down to Big Bend NP, then east to Austin & Houston TX

The southwest is fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 06:50 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,094 times
For anyone who visits Tombstone, they should take Hwy. 82 west towards Patagonia. There's some beautiful scenery between the Whetstones and Patagonia Mountains.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:12 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Pie Town? Cool, I was there last summer, passing through on my way to TX:

Hurricane UT --> Colorado City AZ --> Fredonia AZ --> Jacob Lake AZ --> Cliff Dwellers Lodge AZ --> Marble Canyon AZ -->
..Lees Ferry AZ --> Page AZ --> Kayenta AZ --> Monument Valley AZ & UT --> Mexican Hat UT -->
....Four Corners --> Shiprock NM --> Gallup NM --> Quemado NM -->
......Pie Town NM (we stooped for pie, of course!) --> VLA Socorro NM --> Carrizozo NM -->
........White Sands NM --> and then down to Big Bend NP, then east to Austin & Houston TX

The southwest is fantastic!
Now I REALLY stand corrected! That's one heck of a scenic drive. You do need to do more AZ though. The SE corner has some nice and desolate stuff. Tons of ghost town sites if you're into that.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:20 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
Fort Bowie is cool and so is the Chiricahua National Monument.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:20 PM

700 posts, read 918,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post

- Saguaro National Park, Tucson, Arizona
- Sierrita Mountains, Arizona

- Green Valley, Arizona
- Sonoran Desert, Arizona
- Mount Lemmon, Arizona
- Rincon Mountains, Arizona
- Santa Rita Mountains, Tucson, Arizona
These locations are all Tucson metro area. You would probably also like the scenery in "The Wraith" -- also a ridiculous movie, but dynamite scenery all in the Tucson metro area. The female lead character's house is located in Sam Hughes neighborhood near our old house.

You can read here where The Economist magazine has included Mount Lemmon in the Santa Catalina Mountains above Tucson as one of the "Seven Best Rides in the World" for cyclists.

https://www.1843magazine.com/travel/...s-in-the-world

The University of Arizona has created a Mt Lemmon tour app, which is very interesting, and that visittucson.org has included in their site:

https://www.visittucson.org/mtlemmonsciencetour

KUAT produced this video about Mount Lemmon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEGJ...Kd_SM&index=99

Check out the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum ("a 98-acre zoo, aquarium, botanical garden, natural history museum, publisher, and art gallery"), the #1 attraction in the Tucson area at Tripadvisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...n_Arizona.html

Feel free to PM me.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Wilma - thanks!

Old 01-16-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Now I REALLY stand corrected! That's one heck of a scenic drive. You do need to do more AZ though. The SE corner has some nice and desolate stuff. Tons of ghost town sites if you're into that.
SE AZ, yes, will have to do that. Back in 2009 I drove 10 across AZ east to Lordsburg NM, then stayed off the interstates going up to Silver City NM, then through NM and into TX, again avoiding the interstates. Ivedriven across 10 a few times, but I'll have to hit SE AZ.

SO MANY ROADS, SO LITTLE TIME!

Last edited by echo7tango; 01-16-2017 at 10:06 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 12:13 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,466,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
That's one of our favorite national monuments/parks here. And beautiful scenery of course, nice and quite, and desolate. When we were there last, we basically had the whole place to ourselves in the fall on a weekday during a hike.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
That's one of our favorite national monuments/parks here. And beautiful scenery of course, nice and quite, and desolate. When we were there last, we basically had the whole place to ourselves in the fall on a weekday during a hike.
That looks like another gem in SE AZ, from this image search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chir...w=1024&bih=672

Looks fantastic. Do these images correspond with your experiences, elko and Steve?

Old 01-17-2017, 04:27 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
Chiricahua National Monument

echo7tango - that is what I saw there. Gorgeous scenery - quiet, a hawk or 5 will gently fly around rock spires down below you while you look out over the beauty from one of the upper outposts. I need ta get back there again sometime - hopefully soon. You will all love this place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona