Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:32 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,096,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
I guess these people feel they know what's best for the citizens of Arizona. This bill would silence the voters. I'll bet this has everything to do with the legalization of marijuana and their opposition of it.

The Arizona Senate will decide whether to ask voters next year to repeal or revise a 1998 constitutional amendment that prevents lawmakers from changing or getting rid of voter-approved laws.

Senate to weigh asking voters to toss initiative protections - KVOA | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The 1998 law was the best thing that happened regarding state ballot propositions. Before then, whenever voters approved measures, they would often be altered or eliminated by the Legislature or judges. The final say should always rest with the voters ... not overbearing government bureaucrats!
If this does hit the ballot, I for one will certainly be voting against it. I have already (finally) fled the state that had the scenario that Valley Native posted above. Washington state. Every time the voters passed a initiative that the legislature didn't like, they tied it up in the courts until the two years passed for them to overturn it. I had a picture of Tim Eyman (who authored a boat load of tax reforms that passed) giving then Gov Gregoire the 'bird' as she was smiling while signing a bill overturning one of his voter approved bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Is that not the norm in Arizona? I voted in the last election only to find this state (or maybe just the county, to be fair) conveniently voided my ballot when I voted against Trump, thus my vote never counted (though they've been mailing me ballots ever since I moved here and registered within days of arriving). I know they voided it because I actually called in to verify it when my online records said they had no record of me voting, though I did, and the woman who answered when I called to complain told me there wasn't really much she would do. Whatever I guess... Arizona mantra to justify why people had to move here... liberty, freedom and all that nonsense.
Hmm, funny. I voted for Trump, yet I didn't see my ballot counted either, since I changed my party affiliation to 'none'. this may be a good post to again affirm that:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...not-think.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 09:51 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,375,164 times
is there a list of names of those pushing this?

People who can be voted out...

Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 PM

375 posts, read 609,940 times
I haven't read the proposal. I am no fan of government but I think it's a great idea in general. Initiatives are almost always started and funded by big (usually out of state) entities with an agenda and huge financial or social benefits for them and a tax increase for the tax payers.

None
of them are started by grass roots people. Even the California famous "PROP 13" was supported by corporations that owned huge properties because those properties are seldom, if ever, sold. A holding company leases the building back to the parent company and avoids a reappraisal. However residential property is sold on average in 7 years.

50% of the voters are ignorant and clueless anyway if you believe the HRC voters. They think it's just "Deplorable" that Trump was elected. (Please no reference to the popular vote)Big government will always find a way to subvert the initiative if there is something in it for their supporters.
GO TRUMP!

Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,966,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post
I haven't read the proposal. I am no fan of government but I think it's a great idea in general. Initiatives are almost always started and funded by big (usually out of state) entities with an agenda and huge financial or social benefits for them and a tax increase for the tax payers.

None
of them are started by grass roots people. Even the California famous "PROP 13" was supported by corporations that owned huge properties because those properties are seldom, if ever, sold. A holding company leases the building back to the parent company and avoids a reappraisal. However residential property is sold on average in 7 years.

50% of the voters are ignorant and clueless anyway if you believe the HRC voters. They think it's just "Deplorable" that Trump was elected. (Please no reference to the popular vote)Big government will always find a way to subvert the initiative if there is something in it for their supporters.
GO TRUMP!
So what? Therefore we should let our seemingly not corporate funded legislators to do what they want to do?

Old 03-16-2017, 12:57 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post

None
You're correct about some of the initiatives ... however, many others have resulted in getting the government off our backs, such as the 1998 proposition which mandated that the Legislature keep its hands off any voter backed initiative. What it comes down to is the voters need to educate themselves and decide what initiatives need to pass and which ones need to be defeated. If something passes which later turns out to be a mistake, an initiative can be placed on an upcoming ballot to overturn it. I'd much rather have issues decided by the voters than overbearing elite government bureaucrats who think they know what's best for the rest of us!

Old 03-17-2017, 05:48 AM

923 posts, read 1,430,963 times
An Arizona Senate panel dominated by Republicans rejected concerns from voting rights activists and advanced legislation that opponents say will make it harder to get citizen initiatives on the ballot.

Senate panel OKs bill targeting voter initiatives - KVOA | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,627,183 times
Quote:
An Arizona Senate panel dominated by Republicans rejected concerns from voting rights activists and advanced legislation that opponents say will make it harder to get citizen initiatives on the ballot.

Senate panel OKs bill targeting voter initiatives - KVOA | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona
Disaster

Old 03-28-2017, 05:15 AM

923 posts, read 1,430,963 times
Not content to make gathering signatures more difficult, Republican lawmakers are now moving to impose new procedural requirements on voters who want to propose their own laws.

GOP lawmakers want further restrictions on voter initiatives | Local news | tucson.com

Old 03-28-2017, 12:34 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,770 times
Quote:

This is the only one I somewhat agree with. Pay-per-signature doesn't help get citizen initiatives on the ballot. A lot of the signatures are grass roots campaigns. You shouldn't be able to get something on the ballot just because you have more money.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:41 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
This is the only one I somewhat agree with. Pay-per-signature doesn't help get citizen initiatives on the ballot. A lot of the signatures are grass roots campaigns. You shouldn't be able to get something on the ballot just because you have more money.
Even so, the whole idea of a legislative body having so much control over what we can vote on really bothers me. Admittedly, there have been some bad initiatives approved by the voters (most recently, the minimum wage increase) ... however, the final say should always rest with the majority of the voting populace, not overbearing government bureaucrats. It's just another example of how the GOP majority is trying to stifle the will of the people, while claiming to be all about freedom and less government. I switched my party affiliation from Republican to Libertarian many years ago for reasons like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: