Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 PM

720 posts, read 735,847 times

Advertisements

Tortoises are cute but different - I brought 2 baby tortoises from a friend who had 45 hatch in a cluster... long story short - they were too small to be in the yard alone - birds were ready to ponder on them, and my dog was ready to pick one up - so had to keep them in a pen together indoors with a light on them for warmth
#1 they are very solitary - I brought 2 together thinking they can keep each other company but they couldn't care less.
#2 they are cold to the touch and they don't want to play like a cat or dog - and all they do is eat and poop all day long so if you have kiddos don't think they'll consider them a pet and you will be the one caring for them
#3 if you don't name them you won't bond with them -

I'm assuming because they are in the sanctuary they are already neutered but as you saw my 1st sentence 45+ eggs can be hatched at a time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,975,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I wish it worked that way with dogs as well, so many terrible owners out there.
Absolutely. And Im not making excuses for bad ownership, but dogs are a dime a dozen. Desert tortoises on the other hand? Not so much. Caretaking of such animals should best be left to the well-qualified and/or professionals only, IMO.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:26 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,996,977 times
We have one that came with the house and we agreed to keep him. Almost 5 years now. He's awesome. He's just starting to be active again after his hibernation period. If he's not out already when we are in the yard, he comes out of his burrow when he hears us and follows us around the yard. If we leave the door open he'll walk right into the house. The prior owners had a dog, so he's accustomed to them and we have no problems there, although I have read that can be a bad combination, usually for the tortoise. Our guy chases our two dogs, and our kids dogs if they visit, around 'his' yard. You'd be surprised how fast a tortoise can move when it wants to. None of the dogs do anything more than sniff him. Well, they will also eat his poop if we don't stop them, but hey, they are dogs.

My understanding is that at all times they remain the property of the state and adopted tortoises are really only being fostered. The prior folks told us he came from The Phoenix Herpatological Society. He eats grass, so I don't allow any chemicals on our lawn, and also flower petals from our orchid tree and rose petals. We supplement with various veggies from the approved list, and he gets an occasional slice of tomato as a treat, which he will take from your fingers. I put in a clay water dish for soaking in the summer, but he seems to prefer drinking when it rains or when the sprinklers run. Sometimes I can tell when a monsoon is heading our way, because he seems to be able to sense them and he'll come out and wait for the rain ( during monsoon season when it's hot he usually spends the hotter parts of the day either in his burrow or under a bush). All in all, he's a pretty cool dude.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:27 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
We have one that came with the house and we agreed to keep him. Almost 5 years now. He's awesome. He's just starting to be active again after his hibernation period. If he's not out already when we are in the yard, he comes out of his burrow when he hears us and follows us around the yard. If we leave the door open he'll walk right into the house. The prior owners had a dog, so he's accustomed to them and we have no problems there, although I have read that can be a bad combination, usually for the tortoise. Our guy chases our two dogs, and our kids dogs if they visit, around 'his' yard. You'd be surprised how fast a tortoise can move when it wants to. None of the dogs do anything more than sniff him. Well, they will also eat his poop if we don't stop them, but hey, they are dogs.

My understanding is that at all times they remain the property of the state and adopted tortoises are really only being fostered. The prior folks told us he came from The Phoenix Herpatological Society. He eats grass, so I don't allow any chemicals on our lawn, and also flower petals from our orchid tree and rose petals. We supplement with various veggies from the approved list, and he gets an occasional slice of tomato as a treat, which he will take from your fingers. I put in a clay water dish for soaking in the summer, but he seems to prefer drinking when it rains or when the sprinklers run. Sometimes I can tell when a monsoon is heading our way, because he seems to be able to sense them and he'll come out and wait for the rain ( during monsoon season when it's hot he usually spends the hotter parts of the day either in his burrow or under a bush). All in all, he's a pretty cool dude.
Awesome post, that's so cool. Good for you for taking care of a great and friendly desert creature. I have friends with desert tortoises but I had no idea they could be so friendly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona