Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:59 PM

576 posts, read 834,177 times

Advertisements

Thanks for coming back, Ira123. It's frustrating sometimes when we respond in good faith to a post only to have it never be seen by the OP. So appreciate you checking back.

In your original message, you said you were not interested in Phoenix, so I (and probably a lot of the other posters) assumed that meant the Phoenix metro... of which Tempe is a part. Personally, I think Tempe is an awesome place for young people. Definitely a college vibe (especially close to the ASU campus). But it is smack dab in the middle of the Phoenix metro.... lots of traffic, fair amount of crime, (relatively) high cost of living, etc. All the big city issues.

Tucson is a college town also (Univ. of AZ). Although, I wouldn't recommend living too close to the campus (not a great area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 05:26 PM

700 posts, read 921,655 times
I went to college and worked on campus and lived in Sam Hughes neighborhood on the east side of the UA campus in Tucson. It's a good neighborhood and the neighborhood elementary school is good. Apartments are doable but houses are expensive.

Another good campus neighborhood is Blenman-Elm, where the Arizona Inn is located; Blenman-Elm is just east of the medical school. There's a good parochial school in that neighborhood if one has kids.

I think people say Catalina Vista neighborhood just northeast of campus is a good neighborhood, and it looks good to me; but I have not lived there, although a friend lived in the neighborhood across the street just north of the medical school and liked it. There is handy shopping on Campbell Avenue and a lot of restaurants. Also the eastside light-rail terminus is nearby that runs from there through campus and downtown to the west side.

Explore 5 Districts! And More! | Sun Link - The Tucson Streetcar

Old 06-02-2017, 01:31 PM

234 posts, read 499,773 times
Hi again Ira, yes Tempe would be a good place to check out too. Again, Tucson and anything in Phoenix are close enough that you can live in one and visit the other and see what is the best fit long term. If you discover after a year that Tucson isn't your thing and you prefer Tempe than it would be easy to make the move. I hope when you make your choice you'll let us know.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 PM

861 posts, read 2,193,762 times
Don't know if smaller cities would work for you....Sierra Vista is a great place, Prescott is beautiful, Cottonwood/Clarkdale ...great place, my home town of Safford is a great small city,

Flagstaff is gorgeous but cold.

I love Safford but it is a tad isolated....2 hours from the city.

All of these places have great scenery, reasonably good climates, and economies that are fairly healthy....although not as good as larger cities.

Honestly I have never seen outright racism anywhere in Az.....there are bigots everywhere but most folks really do judge by the content of character.

That is what I have seen.

Of course I am speaking from a white mans perspective and probably don't notice things because I am not being subjected to them.

But still folks I know couldn't care less about race....they like getting along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona