Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 09:11 PM

23,270 posts, read 29,133,463 times

Advertisements

I was thinking more of a retirement community attracted to medical tourism. When my last Orthopedist told me they're not prescribing pain meds anymore, that I needed to go to a pain management clinic, that was one reason to come to Tucson, proximity to Mexico. And I googled Orthopedists, there's 6 of them in Nogales, Mexico! And I've already seen Ortho's in Tijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 09:32 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,894,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Hello, and update for this thread.

The house we found in January didn't work out timing-wise. Had to sell a home up here in WA State and took a little longer to get on the market.

We did just return from another Rio Rico trip, made an offer, and should be closing in the next 30 days.

It's a beautiful home in a developing neighborhood and easy to access from the the freeway.

The weather was...interesting but not bad, had some lightening and showers but nothing to scare us away. I've visited all 4 seasons now and happy with the decision to move.
Another update!
It's been a lot of work but renting a 26 ft U-Haul and heading down Oct 27th. Plan on a 3 day trip, Seattle-Boise, Boise Las Vegas, LV to Rio Rico.
I decided to put my house on Market, had it cleared out and up for sale last week, hopefully offers coming in this weekend. Mothers house is almost cleared and should go on the market very soon, it was a much bigger project getting her cleared out and packed up. She's arranging commercial movers for the furniture, I'm taking everything else in the U-Haul.

Almost home.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:13 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,253,722 times
Have a safe trip!

Old 10-14-2018, 02:28 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,983,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Another update!
It's been a lot of work but renting a 26 ft U-Haul and heading down Oct 27th. Plan on a 3 day trip, Seattle-Boise, Boise Las Vegas, LV to Rio Rico.
I decided to put my house on Market, had it cleared out and up for sale last week, hopefully offers coming in this weekend. Mothers house is almost cleared and should go on the market very soon, it was a much bigger project getting her cleared out and packed up. She's arranging commercial movers for the furniture, I'm taking everything else in the U-Haul.

Almost home.
I was up off of Paseo Mexico..sold in late 2005. Great scenery.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Have a safe trip!
Thank you.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:13 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,805,103 times
I know this is an older thread, but anyway...

I've been in and out of Nogales MX twice over the past month, for dental appointments (before the gov't "shutdown"). The lines for non-Sentri card holders (these are the cards which permit you to bypass long lines, and go right on through basically. They take around three months to get once you apply) were horrendous, both times! At least an hour wait, probably more.

If you, or anyone for that matter, has plans to go into Mexico from the Nogales AZ side of the border, you really NEED to apply for a Sentri card.

You have been warned!

Rich

Old 12-31-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post

I've been in and out of Nogales MX twice over the past month, for dental appointments (before the gov't "shutdown"). The lines for non-Sentri card holders (these are the cards which permit you to bypass long lines, and go right on through basically. They take around three months to get once you apply) were horrendous, both times! At least an hour wait, probably more.

If you, or anyone for that matter, has plans to go into Mexico from the Nogales AZ side of the border, you really NEED to apply for a Sentri card.

You have been warned!

Rich
Thanks for the heads-up Rich, I actually went to the web page to look at enrolling and unfortunately process is delayed during the Fed shut-down. I'll be following up with it when we're up and running again.

Ma and I went through when I was down in October, the line was long, maybe an hour to get through. Currently I'm scheduled to fly down 19th of this month, sister, niece and baby grand-niece too!

Old 12-31-2018, 04:35 PM

5,776 posts, read 11,419,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post

You have been warned!

Rich
Rich, you are not exaggerating. I had the same experience going to a dental appointment in early November. I went on a mid-weekday, in the middle of the day. At 1 pm, which should be a pretty quiet time of the day to cross back to AZ, it took over 1 hour. I have tried both of the pedestrian gates in Nogales this year, and both of them had a one hour wait in the line. I think it's time to look at the Sentri card application.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:35 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,983,627 times
the gate east of the RR tracks is almost always easier..but on a bad day, it can still take an hour. I read the Feds bought Ed's parking lot for 1.26 million and are using it to store shipping containers used to close lanes. lots of lost money, when the border crunch happens....The banks by the border closed down because of ridiculous compliance costs with Dodd-Frank. Ueta is hard to beat.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
the gate east of the RR tracks is almost always easier..but on a bad day, it can still take an hour. I read the Feds bought Ed's parking lot for 1.26 million and are using it to store shipping containers used to close lanes. lots of lost money, when the border crunch happens....The banks by the border closed down because of ridiculous compliance costs with Dodd-Frank. Ueta is hard to beat.
Hi Hal,

Yep, that convenient parking lot is not longer an option but I did find a spot last Saturday at the nearby Burger King.

The border crossing went OK for me, about 30 minutes, the unfortunate part was I purchased a few bulky (but awesome!) items that the vendor could only help as far as the gate. My items were a Shamen, Javelina, and a beautiful Sun sculpterRio Rico- Nogales area-shamen.jpg, all made of sharp edged metal/copper meant for our yard. My goal and challenge was to re-enter the US without putting out and eye or drawing blood. I've shared a picture of the Shamen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona