Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times

Advertisements

^^ Great post. Drones aren't allowed in any National Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 3,209 times
We were there for Christmas / New Year's 2 years ago, and we enjoyed it very much! We prepared for the cold with layers of wool and wind-breakers, with good boots, gloves and hats, and got some great pictures!

First post, so it looks like I can't upload any images... but we had a great visit. I hope the OP made the trip.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:06 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I live there about 5 days a week now but I'm working so I haven't explored everywhere but I'll toss in a few comments-

* It hasn't snowed yet (actually it kinda did very briefly at night two weeks ago, but it is cold).

* The North Rim is definitely closed. I can't speak to the Indian land.

* The South Rim areas are open all year, Thanksgiving was a mad house, I expect Christmas to be as well, but right now the park is pretty mellow with not a lot of crowds.

* From what I hear you need to make reservations for if you are planning a trip you need to do that like ASAP before you get to far along. Mule rides to Phantom Ranch as an example I think are booked to like 14 months out, and it is not cheap. Assuming other things similar.

* The weather conditions you see on like weather underground and intellicast are WRONG for Grand Canyon Village. Most sites use the Tusayan airport reporting station, or Flagstaff, and call that Grand Canyon Village. It is actually a lot colder then those sites report in the Winter. It was 17 degrees when I got up a few mornings ago. Also the base of the Canyon is a lot HOTTER in the summer than reported by those sites, the best comparison is Phoenix, so if you are hiking check Phoenix weather (at least in the summer) for conditions in the Canyon as opposed to the RIM.

* The cold when the sun is out isn't too bad. I went out for a walk the other day through the forested areas and it was 23 out without a jacket. I was cold but the sun was warm so it wasn't too bad. So the cold in the day isn't too bad, in the evening the winds kick up and the when the sun starts to set it can get pretty cold pretty fast.

* The food at the Grand Canyon kinda sucks. The Pizza places are ok, the rest of it even at the Tovar (the fancy place in the village) is meh, and very over priced. But that isn't why you are coming to the Canyon right? Just so you know though. Tusayan restaurants might be better, only tried one steak place and it was ok...Williams, about an hour away where the I40 and 64 intersect, has some decent restaurants though.

* You can drive out to Hermit's rest right now as the buses have stopped, but I would NOT do that when it is snowing or icy out. Beautiful drive but there are some spots where you are like 15 feet or less from the edge of the canyon with nothing but a few trees and sun shine to keep you from sliding off. I'm kind of a coward though but take it under advisement.

* As far as the train, it is pretty cool but two things to keep in mind. One is the scenery to the Canyon is pretty much scrub grassland. Not really that beautiful until right before you get near Grand Canyon village where the pines and oak trees start. And the train operators feel they must entertain you while you are on the train. This includes musicians playing next to you and telling jokes the whole way...if you are in the mood for it it is pretty fun, if you were expecting a quiet chill ride you won't get it. That being said if you are a kid on the way back from the Canyon you get "robbed" by train robbers, which I think most kids love. And during the peak days at the park parking is a real pain, so coming up on the train, and then using the shuttle buses, saves you the parking hassle. Doing everything in one day is kind of a rush though, I'd come up for at least two days if not three.

* To get the full appreciation of the Grand Canyon you need to look at it during different times of day and in different weather conditions and from different vistas. You kind of go through a cycle...wow, this is awesome...meh, I've seen it, ready to go...to wow the colors are all different at this time of day...from this angle in this light it really makes those edges come out...so if you can stay longer do it.

* Right now is actually a great time to hike the Canyon but generally it has already snowed by now. I guess they recommend different paths during the Winter as some are less icy. Research what trails you might want to take down. Each one has it's unique attributes. Also the hike is a LOT harder then people think it is.

* Animals are EVERYWHERE. The elk are huge and they generally don't care if you are near or not. As a rule, don't mess with them, they won't mess with you. BUT people don't listen...and bad stuff happens. At night, especially right now, slow down...deer will sometimes bolt right out in front of you, my wife saw a car hit one the other day. Elk just sometimes stand in the middle of the road or just off it and tourist park in bad ways to see the elk. If you hit an Elk a poor Ranger has to come out and shoot it and you have to "buy" / pay the park for the Elk. If you hit a tourist well worse happens. Also when you are out doors at night even near the lodges it is pretty dark and elk and deer can be right next to you and if you aren't careful you will walk into them. Kinda keep your eyes open at night. Example I cam down the steps one night with one of my dogs and just about walked into two elk the size or horses. Luckily they just kinda looked at me and I was able to wrestle my dog up the stairs before he completely freaked out at them. Also don't feed stuff. Especially near the rim. That cute little squirrel could bite you and while you flip around in pain before you know it you could be over the edge.

* Oh yeah, NO DOGS below the rim. You can't take dogs or other animals down into the Canyon, I don't think even service dogs. The trails are too narrow and bad things could happen so they don't allow it.

* No drones either. The logic being is that while you are flying a drone you aren't paying attention or others in precarious spots might not be paying as much attention. If the drone crashes it might kick lose some rocks that could potentially hit people below or start a fire. This is what I was told, seems like the real small drones should be exempt but they are not.

All in all a cool place to visit.
I have to agree about the lousy food. You would think that the food at the lodge would be decent quality but we have been there many times in the past and it's not.
The last time we were there the family decided to eat at a restaurant on the south rim and everyone thought the food was very poor quality.
I in the past, at least 2-3 years ago, the independent places were OK, but not anymore I guess.

Living so close to the south rim (125 miles) we visit often. I have been there in the heat and when snow is piled up and the ice is hanging. I would like to go there during a summer thunderstorm and get some pix of

Old 12-29-2017, 07:59 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,975,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I have to agree about the lousy food. You would think that the food at the lodge would be decent quality but we have been there many times in the past and it's not.
The last time we were there the family decided to eat at a restaurant on the south rim and everyone thought the food was very poor quality.
I in the past, at least 2-3 years ago, the independent places were OK, but not anymore I guess.

Living so close to the south rim (125 miles) we visit often. I have been there in the heat and when snow is piled up and the ice is hanging. I would like to go there during a summer thunderstorm and get some pix of
The place in Tusayan called "We Make Pizza and Pasta" or something like that isn't bad if you eat it right then...for some reason it doesn't seem to keep as well as leftovers though. Say hi when you come up next, I remember you from the Prescott forum.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:42 PM

I found how to upload pictures!

Old 12-31-2017, 10:25 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times

This looks like a cool, old building at the Grand Canyon. Anyone know it's history in 20 words or less? Don't go over 20 words or you'll turn in to a Smashing Pumpkin.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

This looks like a cool, old building at the Grand Canyon. Anyone know it's history in 20 words or less? Don't go over 20 words or you'll turn in to a Smashing Pumpkin.
It's a tourist store designed to look like a super-sized ruin of a Pueblo watch tower.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:42 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
It's one of many ancient sites where extra-terrestrial body snatchers were unloaded.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:52 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
It's a tourist store designed to look like a super-sized ruin of a Pueblo watch tower.

I believe RichLionHeart much more than Colt AZ. Although Colt AZ might have some really great reasons he wrote what he did.
I aim ta get back to the Grand Canyon one day. It's super-outrageous.

And although Billy Corgan wouldn't mind interviewing new Pumpkin band members, neither one of you went over 20 words in your description. I'll tip my Foghat to the both of you this January 1, 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona