Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 07:56 AM

15,254 posts, read 13,051,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
We need to help the poor and get them the skills they need to make a successful middle class life, not demean or belittle them due to financial restraints.
You first.

Let us know how it's working out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 07:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I have been to Phoenix several times and this was my perception was the disparity, but I did not realize it ranked as the 3rd poorest large metro. Anyways I was looking for personal insight as I do research on poverty in U.S Metros/Geographic areas and I am not physically in AZ to understand a first hand account. Thanks. I was not looking to compare to PA. That is silly.
If you do research on poverty then surely you know about COL factors impacting these types of statistics, the idea that one income level can be used to reflect quality of living across every US city is beyond silly. Take a look at what supplemental poverty rates are, when poverty is adjusted for local COL suddenly the rosy picture painted in high cost cities start to look wilted.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ates/18104313/

Old 12-22-2017, 08:23 AM

3,411 posts, read 4,671,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You first.

Let us know how it's working out for you.
Private charities such as Phx Rescue Mission is an example.

https://phoenixrescuemission.org/mission/

Old 12-22-2017, 09:05 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,028,963 times
Quote:
I have been to Phoenix several times and this was my perception was the disparity, but I did not realize it ranked as the 3rd poorest large metro. Anyways I was looking for personal insight as I do research on poverty in U.S Metros/Geographic areas and I am not physically in AZ to understand a first hand account. Thanks. I was not looking to compare to PA. That is silly.
You come to Phoenix and "disparity" is your lasting impression. How much of your city have you actually seen?

Old 12-22-2017, 09:18 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,337,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
You come to Phoenix and "disparity" is your lasting impression. How much of your city have you actually seen?
It is funny how many people keep taking offense to such silly things, like I am personally mocking them? Seriously people????

I did not post this thread to compare cities. Apparently there is a problem with talking about real world issues with certain people. The City of Philadelphia certainly has poverty. It is dispersed very differently. The poverty rate in the suburbs is EXTREMELY low, actually one of the lowest rates in the nation.

And yes in the city (which mind you the City of Philadelphia is small geographically compared to Phoenix) there is a big disparity in income based on location.

BUT my observation with Phoenix that there was a great deal in alot of suburban pockets. (Not just the inner city areas).

Again I am not making this city to city. I read this factual information last night doing research on a topic and was surprised how high the poverty rate was in AZ. That is all. And was inquiring from residents. But apparently the majority could care less to acknowledge or are trying to make this a city v city discussion which I did not start. Period.

Clearly I am not getting anywhere with this because everyone is taking offense because I factually state AZ has a high rate of poverty.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:21 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,967,466 times
More recent number have poverty dropping a lot in Phoenix. Between a large increase in minimum wage and a decrease in the amount of undocumented immigrants poverty is expected to decrease 30%.

Additionally a retired couple living in a million dollar home, with a million or two in the bank and collecting about $20k in social security income would be still considered "living in poverty" because the household income. We don't have any of those here though

Old 12-22-2017, 09:25 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,570,426 times
I'm not surprised.

A lot of people in Scottsdale pretend to have money when they actually don't.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:27 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,967,466 times
Quote:
The poverty rate in the suburbs is EXTREMELY low. And yes even in the city is separated geographically. BUT my observation with Phoenix that there was a great deal in alot of suburban pockets. (Not just the inner city areas).
Nationwide (according to wallethub) Phoenix has 4 in the top 10 of most affluent cities in the country. The criteria is median income (COL adjusted) and poverty rate.

1. Gilbert
4. Chandler
7. Scottsdale
9. Peoria

Old 12-22-2017, 09:30 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I'm not surprised.

A lot of people in Scottsdale pretend to have money when they actually don't.
Since pretend money buys half-million+ houses and $80k+ cars...

Old 12-22-2017, 09:32 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,570,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Since pretend money buys half-million+ houses and $80k+ cars...
Two words: New Money.

Boastful Trash that usually end up filing for bankruptcy sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona