Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,797 times

Advertisements

I'm considering on moving to Arizona and have some questions that I'm hoping you can help me with. I am 50 with an 18 year old son. I work in the health care sector- clinical, research etc and have also worked in aerospace as well. Where are the best parts of Arizona to move to? I enjoy the sun, being outside and bike riding. I want a good place that will provide me a good job, my son can continue with schooling at a local college and/or trade school. What parts of Arizona would be a good place to live that have good healthcare jobs, cheap enough cost of living and a new place to start over. Any advice is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 10:58 PM

110 posts, read 119,807 times
Whoa, those are some big questions, I'll try to help the best I can.

First of all I would advise you stick with the "East Valley" of the Phoenix metro area (Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek) This part of the valley is really the best place in Phoenix to start out and it has traditionally appreciated better in terms of value. It also has much less crime that the "West Valley".

Let's start with Scottsdale. Scottsdale, is a favorite tourist city in the valley, it features the Waste Management Open and the Barrett Jackson Auto show every year. It has great neighborhoods and the McCormick Ranch area has miles of running/bike paths. It is also home to numerous golf courses. Northern Scottsdale has the McDowell Mnt. Range. There is lots of hiking you can do there. As far as job opportunities go, there seems to be a lot of jobs in the health care sector, I think across the valley there is quite a bit available. I couldn't really say for sure though, I am not familiar with this sector of our economy. So don't take my word for it. The nice thing about Scottsdale is that you are close to Phoenix and, like I said, it is overall pretty nice. The disadvantage is that housing tends to get pretty pricey.

Tempe is home to the ASU campus and the northern part definitely feels like it. The southern part of Tempe is nicer and doesn't feel like that so much. Overall not bad, there is a very large paddle boat park over there, but not as much outdoor stuff as Scottsdale.

Mesa is okay, much of the western portion you don't want to be in. The eastern portion is a bit newer and nicer. The communities of Red Mountain Ranch and Las Sendas are nice, but can be pricey because they are more in the mountains and there is some nice views. The Userey Mountains are also over in those communities. I have heard there is good hiking/trail running over there. The rest of Mesa is really not that great for going out and being outdoors. There is the Boeing Factory over there though, that might be worth looking into.

Chandler probably will have a bit more of outdoor things to do than Mesa, it to can get pricey, but I think it would be easier to find a home there and the above cities I mentioned. Overall it is newer, but does have it's older skummier parts. There is the Intel Factory and it is one of the leading cities in the valley for tech companies. It also has been big on building up it's office sector.

Gilbert on the other hand is nice because it is all good neighborhoods and housing is pretty reasonably priced. A lot of people like it over there. There is not as many job opportunities largely due to the fact that is more of a "bedroom community". The downer about that is that since it is further from Phoenix you have a bigger drive to get to work. However if you got a job in Mesa or Chandler it really shouldn't be that bad.

Now college. Just about everywhere in the valley has good community colleges. I think you will be fine in that regard. There is also ASU, and that is pretty much in the middle of the valley. There are some areas where community colleges will be a bit far from, just something to keep in mind.

I hope that helps, if you can you should come to the valley and drive around here a bit. It will help you decide what you like and what you don't. Maybe you want to rent in an area you are interested in for a few weeks? Just a thought. Anyhow, if you have any more questions I would be glad to help!

Old 02-11-2018, 11:10 AM

I think your questions are pretty big, that is probably why I am the only one to give any sort of reply. They take to much time to answer. Sorry.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:20 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,719,795 times
You might want to take a look at the average temperatures in the Valley before you move.
Phoenix can get very warm but the winters are mild.

Phoenix, AZ

MonthHigh / Low(°F)Rain

January68° / 45°3 days

February72° / 48°3 days

March77° / 52°3 days

April86° / 59°1 day

May94° / 67°0 days

June104° / 76°0 days

July106° / 81°2 days

January68° / 45°3 days

February72° / 48°3 days

March77° / 52°3 days

April86° / 59°1 day

May94° / 67°0 days

June104° / 76°0 days

July106° / 81°2 days

August104° / 81°2 days

September100° / 75°1 day

October89° / 64°1 day

November76° / 51°1 day

December68° / 44°2 days

Tucson on average is about 10° cooler. Sierra Vista is about another 10° cooler than Tucson.
Where we lived is higher in the Prescott area and the summertime highs are 10-15° cooler than the Phoenix area.
Many people that have moved to the valley move to higher elevations in AZ to avoid summer heat.

Jobs in the Prescott area are few but they do quite a bit of hiring in this area in the medical field via Yavapai Regional Health Center (hospital). You might check there for jobs as you have experience there.
I think the more rural areas of AZ might suit you better for bike riding and such.
Note that Prescott does get a little snow once in awhile as do most higher elevations but for the most part it's gone pretty quick.
Many that started out in the Phoenix metro area left with age and heat to higher elevations.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:28 PM

2,927 posts, read 3,113,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
I think your questions are pretty big, that is probably why I am the only one to give any sort of reply. They take to much time to answer. Sorry.
I am curious on who's behalf are you apologizing? Oh, and it is 'too' not 'to'. But it's OK, you're still new here. You do have plenty of information to offer in the Phoenix section here as I have read.

Here in the general Arizona section, we do tend to be a bit slower in our responses. 'Sorry', lol.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:40 PM

2,927 posts, read 3,113,779 times
Bikergal, I see you are thinking of leaving Seattle and have also perused the Jacksonville, FL section here. Your desire to move to a place with more sunshine can certainly be met anywhere here in Arizona. I know. I moved back here from the 'wet' side of WA about a year and a half ago.

As others answered in your thread in the Seattle section, why wait? The COL is going to be lower in any area that you have on your sights. Andrew seems to have provided some very good info if you choose to live in the valley, and he also points out the largess of your question. I know that you would be able to continue your career in the medical field just about anywhere in Arizona, the hard part is where will your 18 year old want to fit in? He will have to be willing to sever some ties. I know a woman your age who left MD for Tucson with her 17 year old and although she liked it, he was not quick so assimilate and made her miserable.

So, I guess open up with some more of your requirements. Do you want big city? Or not. At least that's a start. If you want big city, then maybe focus upon the Phoenix section here.

good luck

Old 02-11-2018, 03:21 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,025,630 times
Re: Phoenix metro area

If Phoenix would be your destination of choice do not discount the West Valley. Some will feed you hyperbole that it's crime ridden and akin to Mad Max. It is an immense area too large to be stereotyped. It tends to have rates more favorable for lower and middle-class households.

One major factor if thinking about Phoenix is where you will seek employment and may want to target an area based upon employer location. Phoenix and the surrounding metro area covers a lot of ground. A cross Valley commute is something many hope to avoid.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:33 PM

[quote=Bondurant;50994527]Re: Phoenix metro area

If Phoenix would be your destination of choice do not discount the West Valley. Some will feed you hyperbole that it's crime ridden and akin to Mad Max. It is an immense area too large to be stereotyped. It tends to have rates more favorable for lower and middle-class households [quote]

Peoria isn't that bad, neither is Surprise. Sure the West Valley is not all terible. But like you said, it tends to be more favorable for lower and middle-class households. That typically is nice way of saying that just about everyone that lives there is broke (at least the people I know that live over there are) and unfortunately that tends to always equal more crime. The east valley favors middle class families and folks much better than the west. Just watch the news, most crime happens in the west. I don't mean to sound snobby, it is just that the east valley is better.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:19 PM

700 posts, read 924,295 times
Hi, Bikergal; if you really enjoy the outdoors and cycling, you should repost in the Tucson forum. Tucson has literally some of the best cycling in the world; and the outdoors is next door. Five mountain ranges ring the city; and while it's a desert and hot in the summer, the tops of the mountains are cool. Winter is heavenly in the desert.

Take a look at this feature from the Economist; Mount Lemmon highway is one of their choices for the Seven Best Rides in the World. Ask about The Loop.

https://www.1843magazine.com/travel/...s-in-the-world

During the daylight you can see Mount Lemmon in the Santa Catalina Mountains from this campus web cam and what the weather is doing. It was sunny and 74 when I looked. The Catalina Highway goes all the way to the top, 9,159 feet (2,792 m).

https://www2.cs.arizona.edu/camera/

Best of luck in finding your ideal location!

Old 02-12-2018, 02:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,939,353 times
[quote=Andrew Wilson;50995230][quote=Bondurant;50994527]Re: Phoenix metro area

If Phoenix would be your destination of choice do not discount the West Valley. Some will feed you hyperbole that it's crime ridden and akin to Mad Max. It is an immense area too large to be stereotyped. It tends to have rates more favorable for lower and middle-class households
Quote:

Peoria isn't that bad, neither is Surprise. Sure the West Valley is not all terible. But like you said, it tends to be more favorable for lower and middle-class households. That typically is nice way of saying that just about everyone that lives there is broke (at least the people I know that live over there are) and unfortunately that tends to always equal more crime. The east valley favors middle class families and folks much better than the west. Just watch the news, most crime happens in the west. I don't mean to sound snobby, it is just that the east valley is better.
How many cities in the west valley have YOU personally lived it, to be able to paint such a broad brush about "most" people who live there?

My income is major 6 figures, and I wouldn't live in Scotsdale if you gave me a house for free; I saw no reason to overpay to live there just to be able to brag to my friends on where I lived.
and, I leave my doors and windows open all the time, and never once felt unsafe going anywhere out in the west valley.

People who stereotype should avoid giving questionable advice to people who have never been out here; the best advice you can give to ANYONE looking to live/move here is to visit, several times, ALL areas and make up your own mind..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona