Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 10:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,677,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Three issues: pedestrian not paying attention, driver not paying attention, car not paying attention. Self-driving cars need to be off the road, or this is going to become a common occurrence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mDxiYguNPI
No, it won't and there's no evidence to support your claim. How about this instead - pedestrians need to not jump in front of moving cars in complete darkness or this is going to be a common occurrence. That at least has some logic behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 10:59 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,259,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
She jumped out of pure darkness, only visible for one second before impact. You nor I would have been able to stop in time, crosswalk or not.
she didn't "jump out of pure darkness". There were street lights in the area (its part of the 12th largest Metro area in the USA) and what we see on a dashboard cam my not represent what a driver could see with his eyes. Anyone who has ever taken some video with their cell phone has at some point thought it looked better in real life.
And "You nor I would have been able to stop in time," isn't really the point. Could you or I have swerved left enough in time? It sure looks like she was hit by the right side of the car. If so how much "swerve left" would have been enough to miss her or just hit the back of the bike? Or just break her leg?

Old 03-22-2018, 11:02 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,259,186 times
I agree that most (all?) of the blame belongs to the pedestrian. But I don't buy the argument that NO human could have avoided it therefore driver-less car technology is as safe or safer than human reaction and anticipation.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:08 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,094,902 times
Quote:
She jumped out of pure darkness, only visible for one second before impact. You nor I would have been able to stop in time, crosswalk or not.

We can debate whether or not a human could have avoided the accident from now until the end of time, and it won't matter. The car completely failed under a very simple scenario it is supposed to handle, the equivalent of 1+1=2. This opens up an entire host of questions with respect to their program.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:09 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,393,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I agree that most (all?) of the blame belongs to the pedestrian. But I don't buy the argument that NO human could have avoided it therefore driver-less car technology is as safe or safer than human reaction and anticipation.
The fault is certainly virtually all with the lady.

But the data also shows an utter failure by the AV. This is really the standard and simplest case that exists for the AV. The failure rises to the level of being unthinkable. It raises questions as to whether the UBER vehicle is in fact safe to be on the road.

I would ban all UBER vehicles until such time as it establishes what went wrong and that it is fixed.

This would read only on the UBER implementation.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
she didn't "jump out of pure darkness". There were street lights in the area (its part of the 12th largest Metro area in the USA) and what we see on a dashboard cam my not represent what a driver could see with his eyes. Anyone who has ever taken some video with their cell phone has at some point thought it looked better in real life.
And "You nor I would have been able to stop in time," isn't really the point. Could you or I have swerved left enough in time? It sure looks like she was hit by the right side of the car. If so how much "swerve left" would have been enough to miss her or just hit the back of the bike? Or just break her leg?
You obviously don't know the area. It's a stretch of Mill Ave. that doesn't see much traffic, so being in the 12th largest metro doesn't mean anything. There's not much over there and it's dark. She was in between the coverage of two street lights, completely unilluminated until in the range of the headlights, giving one second to react. She was doomed the second she stepped into the roadway.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The fault is certainly virtually all with the lady.

But the data also shows an utter failure by the AV. This is really the standard and simplest case that exists for the AV. The failure rises to the level of being unthinkable. It raises questions as to whether the UBER vehicle is in fact safe to be on the road.

I would ban all UBER vehicles until such time as it establishes what went wrong and that it is fixed.

This would read only on the UBER implementation.
Why would you ban all Uber vehicles?

Old 03-22-2018, 11:22 AM

15,467 posts, read 9,156,706 times
Quote:
No, it won't and there's no evidence to support your claim. How about this instead - pedestrians need to not jump in front of moving cars in complete darkness or this is going to be a common occurrence. That at least has some logic behind it.
There is no evidence to support your claim that she jumped in front of a moving car. In the video she is clearly very slowly walking from left to right across the street. There is no jumping evident in the video. But apparently you don't care about facts like that. Your mind is obviously already made up.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:28 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,393,727 times
Quote:
Why would you ban all Uber vehicles?
Because their system does not work. We have an example of a total failure. And in the cleanest and simplest of cases. I would not let them back until they explain how it happened and demonstrate that it cannot happen again.

If they can demonstrate that it was some unique failure of this vehicle then you might consider letting them back in.

I find the failure mind blowing.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There is no evidence to support your claim that she jumped in front of a moving car. In the video she is clearly very slowly walking from left to right across the street. There is no jumping evident in the video. But apparently you don't care about facts like that. Your mind is obviously already made up.
Of course she didn't literally jump. I didn't realize it needed elaboration, but I'll humor you. She appeared suddenly, due to the darkness. How does that change anything? How does that now support your claim that "this is going to become a common occurrence"? It certainly hasn't been, so how does this change anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona