Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:03 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
A little secret. Arizona is not all desert. But it is a terrible place.
Shhhhhh teddyearp! You know it's all desert and brown with snakes everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 06:52 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Shhhhhh teddyearp! You know it's all desert and brown with snakes everywhere.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:01 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Add: scorpions and tarantulas, et al

Old 09-03-2018, 05:28 PM

277 posts, read 429,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattastic View Post
Maybe it's because I'm a city girl, but I would never recommend anyone live in Prescott, Flagstaff, Payson, or literally anywhere else besides PHX and Tucson unless they were...."mountain people".

I'm young, under 40, and grew up in the Phoenix area. Anywhere outside of Phoenix is pretty much considered to be a trashy backwater. I'm sure that perception changes as you get older. <<snip>>
I think you'd be nuts to live in Prescott.

* Apologies, I missed your trip before I posted this note.

Sedona, Prescott and Flagstaff are anything but backwater trashy. Especially when you compare them to some areas of Phoenix.

Do a search for Whole Foods and Sprouts and see where they are ....

If you like a warm to hot dry climate with lots of Sun — AZ is for you.

You really need to travel around the state *and* do some research re temperature and altitude.
I have lived in six different locations —each with pros and cons.

Since you can get a job just about any where, Arizona can be your oyster. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:56 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattastic View Post
Maybe it's because I'm a city girl, but I would never recommend anyone live in Prescott, Flagstaff, Payson, or literally anywhere else besides PHX and Tucson unless they were...."mountain people".

I'm young, under 40, and grew up in the Phoenix area. Anywhere outside of Phoenix is pretty much considered to be a trashy backwater. <snip>
Yup, that's true. Just stay in Phoenix then. Please.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:50 AM

75 posts, read 121,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCat View Post
* Apologies, I missed your trip before I posted this note.

Sedona, Prescott and Flagstaff are anything but backwater trashy. Especially when you compare them to some areas of Phoenix.

Do a search for Whole Foods and Sprouts and see where they are ....

If you like a warm to hot dry climate with lots of Sun — AZ is for you.

You really need to travel around the state *and* do some research re temperature and altitude.
I have lived in six different locations —each with pros and cons.

Since you can get a job just about any where, Arizona can be your oyster. Good luck.
Hey thanks IceCat!!

I love warm/hot and dry weather... and AZ is lookin better with each visit.

I will visit another portion of AZ either late this year, or early next year, thanks for your tips!

Old 10-13-2018, 12:54 PM

277 posts, read 429,656 times
Default Welcome to AZ

Glad you like it! Welcome!!!

I like dry, medium weather 25-82 degrees

Low humidity, sunny

Flagstaff in summer. Phoenix in winter 😎

Old 10-13-2018, 04:42 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile37 View Post
Hi all!

I visited AZ for the first time May 2017 - Phoenix, and I LOVED it! It could have been b/c I did the tourist bit, but the reason for my visit was to get the initial feel of AZ ... as it is the complete opposite of NC, where I have lived my entire life. I'm originally a small town girl (graduation class of 100 people) but moved to Greensboro at 20 yrs old. Now 37, I am itching to get out of NC as my child will probably be in his 2nd yr of college in 2020. I am still researching all cities in AZ, but I'm growing to hate the mild winters here in Greensboro, NC. We max at 7" snow.. get sleet & black ice... but it's temps below 50 I despise more & more. Throw rain & wind in there and I just think about being in AZ again. Humidity here is not like FL, but it's enough to make it stuffy on 90 degree days (if there is no wind) -- I want less humidity. I prefer to be in part of the hills, and see SOME type of green trees here & there... & not just cacti. Need to do outdoorsy things, but prefer with a group or a couple people.

Job: Currently in the dental field. I've done some research, & finding a job shouldn't be hard.

Priority: Church family. Huge priority, but looking for solid & mature Christians who have my same vision so I can come along beside them: seeking to advance further in the church & create a type of sanctuary for those in need, but also 'train up' those who want a fresh start in life & support them spiritually (and if possible, meet some financial needs). HUUUGGGEEE desire on my heart ... but I can't do it alone. Does AZ have anyone that feels the same way??

Cost of living in cities in AZ?? So far, forums express that it's either very pricey to rent, or there are RV/mobile homes. I'm used to monthly condo mortgage & HOA fees totalling to $600 or less in small communities. Hoping I'll find something similar there. Do good doggy daycares exist there?

Social events: not big on bars/beer fests, but enjoy music/art festivals... Have a desire to meet good wholesome people my age!!!! I can't stress this enough!!! I'm not getting any younger (hint, hint) HAAA!!.. but I want to surround myself with down to earth, smart, & steady people that make life enjoyable. Does AZ have this?? Yes, probably so. Ok, where???

Planning to visit AZ Labor Day, but not sure what city. Help?? Thanks!! 😊
There are a lot of large really good Christian churches in the East and west valley. I recently started attending The Grove in gilbert and found out the bro that leads worship is the lead singer for the music group the Afters.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
How did you handle the change of scenery from green to not green ?
Wow, sorry for the very late reply!! I somehow missed this comment the last time I visited this site. It's been a while.. I've been a little/a lot distracted. =)

So anyhow.. to answer your question, I actually was not a fan of the flat and brown landscape in Phoenix. ... However, once I did more research on other parts of AZ, and found out that there was more green the farther north (or even in altitude) I was eager to visit again. Since I'm not used to seeing cacti, seeing it all over the hills on my travels to Sedona and such... oh, I just loved it.

I loved Prescott way more. It has hills and enough green to remind me of home. The weather in Prescott (temperature wise) is similar to here (Greensboro, NC), but more sun, and wayyy less humidity.

I am tired of not being able to see the land when I drive around here (because the trees block everything), and I have seen enough cows and horses... and I'm always scared I'm gonna hit a deer when I'm driving out in the country. lol... Maybe I can make it out of NC being able to say I lived here and NEVER hit a deer. .. 30-some years and it hasn't happened yet! lol...

Old 11-19-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
There are a lot of large really good Christian churches in the East and west valley. I recently started attending The Grove in gilbert and found out the bro that leads worship is the lead singer for the music group the Afters.
WOW!!! That's so cool! ... I still keep thinking about Prescott being the area where I wanna be, but if I'm not mistaken... it didn't look like there were many apartments up for rental there. How far is the East/West Valley and Gilbert from Prescott? ... Apartment rentals there for at least $750/month or something??

It was advised that I go visit Tucson, however... I keep thinking about the hotter weather down there... and if it's anything like Phoenix... eh... I better not even waste $650 on a roundtrip plane ticket to just confirm it. Know what I mean?

To all: So it doesn't look like I'll be visiting any more this year, since we're now into Nov... =( so now, I'm looking into March (bday gift to myself) =) =).. Btw, my son leaves for the Air Force in early Feb!!!

I am also considering getting a reliable small SUV before moving out there... so is it advised that I not get a really nice one with a nice paint job b/c of some of the sandstorms out there??

If I could move out to AZ in summer of next year, that would be awesome. I just have to sell my condo here, and find a job and pet-friendly apartment there. It's just a little scary b/c this would be a HUGE move for me. I know a few people here who have lived out there, so I could probably get connected that way... but, I just wanna come out there, live there for at least a year....

Thanks for all the input "y'all!!" ... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona