Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 08:11 PM

75 posts, read 121,661 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I visited AZ for the first time May 2017 - Phoenix, and I LOVED it! It could have been b/c I did the tourist bit, but the reason for my visit was to get the initial feel of AZ ... as it is the complete opposite of NC, where I have lived my entire life. I'm originally a small town girl (graduation class of 100 people) but moved to Greensboro at 20 yrs old. Now 37, I am itching to get out of NC as my child will probably be in his 2nd yr of college in 2020. I am still researching all cities in AZ, but I'm growing to hate the mild winters here in Greensboro, NC. We max at 7" snow.. get sleet & black ice... but it's temps below 50 I despise more & more. Throw rain & wind in there and I just think about being in AZ again. Humidity here is not like FL, but it's enough to make it stuffy on 90 degree days (if there is no wind) -- I want less humidity. I prefer to be in part of the hills, and see SOME type of green trees here & there... & not just cacti. Need to do outdoorsy things, but prefer with a group or a couple people.

Job: Currently in the dental field. I've done some research, & finding a job shouldn't be hard.

Priority: Church family. Huge priority, but looking for solid & mature Christians who have my same vision so I can come along beside them: seeking to advance further in the church & create a type of sanctuary for those in need, but also 'train up' those who want a fresh start in life & support them spiritually (and if possible, meet some financial needs). HUUUGGGEEE desire on my heart ... but I can't do it alone. Does AZ have anyone that feels the same way??

Cost of living in cities in AZ?? So far, forums express that it's either very pricey to rent, or there are RV/mobile homes. I'm used to monthly condo mortgage & HOA fees totalling to $600 or less in small communities. Hoping I'll find something similar there. Do good doggy daycares exist there?

Social events: not big on bars/beer fests, but enjoy music/art festivals... Have a desire to meet good wholesome people my age!!!! I can't stress this enough!!! I'm not getting any younger (hint, hint) HAAA!!.. but I want to surround myself with down to earth, smart, & steady people that make life enjoyable. Does AZ have this?? Yes, probably so. Ok, where???

Planning to visit AZ Labor Day, but not sure what city. Help?? Thanks!! 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 09:12 PM

65 posts, read 122,005 times
Phoenix area: Boiling hot summers with short mild winters. No trees except those planted by landscapers. Cactus galore. Generally vibrant diverse economy and loads of traffic. Population 4.5 million

Tucson area: Phoenix lite. Boiling summers with slightly cooler nights. Similar scarcity of deciduous or even evergreen trees due to location (of both metro areas) within fearsome Sonoran Desert. More artsy and liberal than Phoenix. Population 1 million plus.

Prescott area: Mile high in the Central Highland. Three seasons (I won't anymore say four, due to ersatz winter; but weather does get windy and chilly -- but says generally sunny). More rain than the above metro area, mostly in summer. Disproportionate senior demographic (good for dental/medical professions) though some young folks, too. Population 120,000

Flagstaff area: At 7000 ft elevation, gets plenty 'o cold weather and snow. Big college student population and feel. Lots of skiing and hiking. Not so many jobs. Population: 100,000

Sierra Vista, Sedona, Payson would be the next biggest population centers but I don't think you would fancy those for various reasons, even though they are cool places in their own right.

Have I left any out?

Arizona is full of interesting and historic smaller towns, but they are much shorter on work and services. If you want a small town with a specific feature, shout out.

Good luck, and welcome back out west to check us out!

Old 03-27-2018, 09:27 PM

757 posts, read 839,694 times
Summers in Phoenix and south are brutal and low humidity does not help despite the mythical statements to the contrary. It is HOT!!!! Nor does it cool down at night that much. With that said, I live here in AZ for the climate. I do outdoor stuff a lot and in the real hot months I do them very, very early in the morning or not at all. I like not having tornadoes, hurricanes, ice and snow storms, loss of power for days or weeks etc. At my age, I do not need to fall down and break a hip on ice.

I cannot relocating without having a job lined up. I highly recommend you land a good paying job before you enter into a lease of some sort. As for living conditions, there is nothing wrong with a mobile home/rv situation given what I said above about regarding climate. However, the heat is so powerful you MUST be certain your home can be adequately cooled down.

I lived in the SE most of my life and enjoyed the seasons, the mountains, the woods, the coasts etc. I would have no problem living there again especially along the coasts. AZ has many positives but there are no shortage of negatives. I hope you will research the AZ forum thoroughly as many of your concerns are addressed by some very good folks with valid opinions.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:54 PM

Awesome feedback you two.. thank you! I did consider buying a RV out there, however.... I have to bring my 75 lb German Shepherd with me b/c he is going to reeeeally be my buddy since I will have an empty nest. He is currently 4 yrs old. He has ok space now in my 945 sq ft condo, but I hope to do lots of hiking/exploring with him too b/c he absolutely loves it.

Adequate cooling home - ok, got it. Good paying job before leasing - got it. Hmmm.. Will continue my research & figure out what city to visit this Fall. Thanks again for the valuable input! ��

Old 03-28-2018, 10:47 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,527,987 times
I'd add Wickenburg to your list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickenburg,_Arizona

Old 03-28-2018, 09:23 PM

757 posts, read 839,694 times
Awesome feedback you two.. thank you! I did consider buying a RV out there, however.... I have to bring my 75 lb German Shepherd with me b/c he is going to reeeeally be my buddy since I will have an empty nest. He is currently 4 yrs old. He has ok space now in my 945 sq ft condo, but I hope to do lots of hiking/exploring with him too b/c he absolutely loves it.

You might check into a dog/rattlesnake class where dogs are trained to avoid rattlesnakes. I have friends whose dogs all have been bitten. $$$$$$$$$$$$$. If you hike and spend time outdoors you will encounter wildlife. Some might say they have lived here forever without ever seeing a critter. Good for them. I have encountered javelina, rattlesnakes, scorpions, and coyotes. ALL in my gated neighborhood. Protect your dog with knowledge.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:07 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,972,931 times
If you want any sort of green and trees in AZ (of which there isn't much), its going to be the high country, but its freezing cold there and gets lots of snow. I would suggest looking into places in CA. You get a little more humidity, but its not hot (outside of Palm Desert, etc) nor cold. If you want mild winters in AZ, you have to deal with scorching, super long summers and cacti and virtually no shade trees or real greenery. If you want more greenery, you have to deal with snow and cold arse winter temps. A place like Prescott might suit your needs the best, as it does get snow but melts quick, and isn't nearly as brutal in summer as Phoenix. But then again Prescott isn't a job haven, and is kinda out there.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:32 PM

I'm taking into account everything mentioned, thus far. As I am reading through other forums, Prescott/Prescott Valley keeps grabbing my attention. I am ok with a quick snow that melts in a day... If out of the calendar year Prescott gets 2 months of light wintery weather, it's a good probability that it'll work for me. ... I briefly saw a mention of Valley Fever and that it mostly affects dogs?? I'll research this, but how dangerous is it & is it deadly? Is this mostly in the dusty areas? Preventable (in terms of meds) ?? ... Is there a privilege tax in Prescott for newbies to the area? Are there discount grocery stores (Aldi/Trader Joe's) other than Costco? ... Fast-food: Chick-fil-A? Bojangles? ... Apparel: Ross/TJ Max, Old Navy, NY & Co, Khols?.. I figure in the next 2 yrs, I'll be able to visit maybe 3 more times (different seasons) before making a final decision. ..... As previously mentioned, I work in dental & so if Prescott has a steady need for dental assistants, prospects looking good...

Old 03-30-2018, 08:53 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,072,138 times
Prescott is a retiree's haven. Not a good place to meet single people your age, or anywhere near. Yes, there are a couple of choices for groceries, but none are discount. Costco and TJ are here. Aldi is not. Sprouts is here too. Ross and TJMaxx are here and Kohls too. Hiking with dogs is prevalent. Nearly everyone I see hiking has a dog !

It's a small community and rather quiet and very safe, at least I think so. It sounds like you would enjoy Phoenix more, except for the lack of green and the summer heat. Dentists here are dime a dozen. Medical docs are not.

I have been here a year, coming from 13 years in the Valley. It's very different here, mostly because of the older population. Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,642,087 times
Prescott isn't a retiree haven, there are a couple of colleges here, Yavapai Community college and Prescott College near downtown. There are young people here, just not a big selection compared to PHX. There's better demographics in Prescott Valley, the more Millennials that move here the better. Anybody who says otherwise are just trying to discourage others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona