Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,313,706 times

Advertisements

Arizona 87 between Phoenix and Payson remained closed Monday for the fourth day while crews continue to assess and repair pavement that buckled during a landslide Friday afternoon.

Arizona 87 remains closed after landslide (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,303,708 times
This buckling stretch of 87 is the newer, widened section of the highway which I believe was completed in 2000. It's apparent that ADOT didn't do their jobs right the first time ... so now, more tax money is being used to unscrew what they perpetually screwed up! But why should we be surprised at this? This certainly isn't the first time ADOT has been incompetent, and has had to shut down major stretches of roadways because of their idiocy!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,313,706 times
I'm not going to be so quick to jump on ADOT, and heres why.

Since completion of the segment in question, there have been some really nasty fires in the area, followed by some very nasty rains. AND, of late, a LOT of rains, with little to hold back the waters.

I fly over the area in question quite a bit - and I can tell you - the fires etc have had a major adverse impact on the area.

No, I'm going to wait to see just what the final report is as to the cause - and, if it was purely a design issue, you will have to get in line behind me blaming ADOT.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:16 PM

There have been a lot of fires, but not directly in the location of the landslide. As far as "nasty rains", this past winter was wetter than some of the past ones, but it was NORMALLY wet. There certainly haven't been any record shattering preciptation totals. Comparing this winter to some others in the 1970s, '80s, and early '90s (which saw 100 year floods), this winter was actually quite meek.

It was a design flaw, pure & simple ... but good luck in getting those responsible to admit it. I recall when that stretch was being widened, the completion dates were delayed because of problems in the landscape, or some other reason. I could possiblly empathize with ADOT a little more on this mishap ... but they have messed up on so many other projects, which resulted in costly delays & excuses. ADOT is a very incompetent agency ... for many reasons too numerous to name in one posting!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 PM

219 posts, read 765,228 times
This is really messing up my weekend motorcycle riding

Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,796,475 times
The article says to take US60 all the way to SR188 in Globe, then back track to SR87. Live a little and try the "scenic" route instead- US60 to SR88 (Apache Trail) starting in Apache Junction, then pick up SR188 at Roosevelt Dam. It's a great ride, even on a motorcycle. If you have a fear of heights don't worry, you'll be against the mountainside going down Fish Creek Hill. For those who've never driven it, the road turns to dirt at milepost 220, about 6 miles beyond Tortilla Flat, before you start the descent down the hill.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:41 PM

You know who will be flipping the bill for this mess. It must be nice to work for a government agency. You can screw up as much as you want, and not even be held liable for anything ... plus, still get those excellent benefits. Just let the public pay for the cost of their incompetence!

The 60 to 188 route is no viable alternative to many drivers who don't have the time to take scenic routes. Why do you think these widened highways exist in the first place? It's to make commuting faster and less of a hassle. The public should rightfully expect better use of their money ... and more people should really be outraged at ADOT for the way they have wasted our tax money & mis managed so many highway projects over the years!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,796,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You know who will be flipping the bill for this mess. It must be nice to work for a government agency. You can screw up as much as you want, and not even be held liable for anything ... plus, still get those excellent benefits. Just let the public pay for the cost of their incompetence!

The 60 to 188 route is no viable alternative to many drivers who don't have the time to take scenic routes. Why do you think these widened highways exist in the first place? It's to make commuting faster and less of a hassle. The public should rightfully expect better use of their money ... and more people should really be outraged at ADOT for the way they have wasted our tax money & mis managed so many highway projects over the years!
SR87 was widened to make the trip faster but equally important was to cut down on the carnage caused by impatient drivers making bad passes and causing head-ons. I used to work for the state but I am not a fan of ADOT. In their defense, sometimes they just do what they're told (not saying it applies to the Beeline). The best example I have is the cable barriers ordered by our wonderful former Gov-"Propane Jane". I don't remember the guys name, but someone way up the chain at ADOT told her they were a bad idea and it cost him his job. Well, they are a bad idea and I have photos to prove it.

I'm just glad it doesn't affect me because this is going to be a pain in the a** for some time for a lot of people. I noticed that the damaged retaining walls on the highway were some of those outrageously expensive fake rock facings ADOT was ordered to install. I'm guessing this will require another environmental impact study before repairs and modifications are made. We can't have them destroying some rare form of native lichen, can we?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 PM

44,669 posts, read 61,774,875 times
The road was openened this evening, one lane going each way 45mph as reported on the news tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona