Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:50 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertecho View Post
We moved from the Bay Area a couple of years ago after my husband asked me, “Are you ready for some high heat and low taxes?” I got on board for a new adventure, although I didn’t come around immediately and I had some trepidation. I have to say the economics of daily living are very inviting.

Housing! It’s super affordable compared to California housing prices. You can get a great 3 bedroom house with 2 bath here — with a pool, in a nice neighborhood, for under $300K. Did you know they have waterfront property here? So you can spend more, like many of the retired pro players who have retired here in million dollar abodes. But a luxury 2 bed condo is well under $200K.

And not just taxes are low — my auto insurance in CA was $1500 per year, here (same car and driver) it’s $475 per year.

I’m pleasantly surprised at the restaurant scene, which is vibrant and keeps growing, lots of really good food and menus (and that’s coming from a long time San Francisco foodie snob). In terms of music it’s not New Orleans, Nashville, nor New York or LA, but there are venues where you see all the touring bands, and we have opera and symphony. Scottsdale shopping rivals Union Square, say when you need a Tom Ford lipstick or just a day of browsing big beautiful expensive brands. Golf is huge and there are annual events here such as Spring Training where you can actually see the players up close for much less. The University is dynamic and influences the region as well as offering sports and events for non-students.

What surprised me the most is the lack of ageism compared to the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley, it’s more than okay if you’re over 40!
https://notepad.software https://downloadmalwarebytes.com https://filezilla.software
I had a chance to go to Silicon Valley for an engineering job last February but chose not to. The congestion, cost-of-living, and ageism were a subset of the total space of reasons. (The use of "space" is an inside joke for computer science majors coming from discrete math). Another reason was the male-to-female ratio which I understand is often 5 to 1 or even 10 to 1 at "social" gatherings in Silicon Valley's absurd attempt at nightlife and dating. Maybe some of those guys in Silicon Valley should start dating holograms like in that movie Blade Runner 2049. I figured it's best avoided. Instead, I moved from Scottsdale to Chandler. My commute is about 3/4 of a mile with one quick stoplight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 08:07 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Easy one, Fz7332 . . .

If your goal is to reduce the "Mad House Lifestyle" (Freeways, Heavy Traffic, Crowds Everywhere, etc) with a slower, more relaxed pace overall, I would strongly recommend Tucson.

Good Luck.
Bummer, I found the traffic a little hairy (sometimes scary) last time I was in Tucson. But then again, I'm not coming from Southern CA !

Old 08-28-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Second for Tucson. To me, Phoenix feels just as crowded and sprawling as many parts of SoCal.

I moved from Orange County nearly five months ago. Tucson is dirt cheap compared to there. My 1-bedroom apartment in a crummy area of "Anacrime" was about to go to $1800/mo, and here I have a 2-bedroom apartment for $730. There's elbow room without having to live 20 miles out in the burbs, and the scenery and weather are great. Yeah, it's hot in summer but (a) cooler than Phoenix by a few degrees because we're at 2500', and (b) a drier heat - yes, even during monsoon season because I was in OC and constantly getting the humidity blowing in from the ocean so it always felt moist there. My little weather device there would consistently register 65-70% humidity, and here, even during monsoon, it hasn't gone over 40% indoors.
Sounds like you're enjoying it there Adamson520!

I keep thinking I'll move down there from the Verde Valley but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I agree that the humidity in AZ is NOTHING like most places, even Toronto!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:11 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
Most of Arizona is the pizza/wings/burger crowd.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:39 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Bummer, I found the traffic a little hairy (sometimes scary) last time I was in Tucson. But then again, I'm not coming from Southern CA !
Traffic in Tucson is nuthin' compared to SoCal... but I'll voice the common complaint that there really needs to have been a good east-west freeway (it's too late now). Luckily, my commute is North-South so it's easy peasy.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Traffic in Tucson is nuthin' compared to SoCal... but I'll voice the common complaint that there really needs to have been a good east-west freeway (it's too late now). Luckily, my commute is North-South so it's easy peasy.

I hear you!

Old 08-28-2018, 09:50 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I think PHX has a lot more accounting jobs than Tucson.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:52 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I think PHX has a lot more accounting jobs than Tucson.
Duh. Phoenix is a ginormous megalopolis. Phoenix has a lot more *everything* than Tucson.

But all OP needs is one job, not thousands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona