Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 04:32 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
But I'm trying to tell you that doesn't mean your daughter is for sure getting residency. You plan to have your daughter attend in fall of 2019 and you plan to move to AZ by the summer of 2019. That's way less than a year. Just know ASU consistently denies residency applications and appeals have to be filed (and usually are rejected yet again depending on the circumstances). So I would not get your hopes up whatsoever until they don't reject her request for residency. There's a difference between you move her here while she's still in high school and moving her here for what solely looks like college to ASU. I'm just forewarning you the reality is they probably might deny her residency application, especially since you're moving with such a short gap so ASU is going to think your daughter moved here solely for college purposes.

This is from experience. My friend attended high school here and he got denied and had to go to a CC for the first two years of college. That and numerous other incoming out of state students have inquired or complained about the residency application and how their original app got rejected as well as the appeal.

I have no clue how UofA runs as I've never attended nor had interest so I am speaking solely on ASU. I wouldn't bank on it.

Also, forgot to add, depending on where you're coming from your daughter might be eligible for WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) which reduces tuition.
This is true. I knew people who went to high school with me all 4 years here in Arizona and were still denied in-state tuition. They had some weird paperwork of them with proof of residency in other states since they were transplants of them being literal adolescents (like elementary) and their parents I think missed a couple things. Nonetheless they got in-state tuition on the appeal, but it's even happened to actual locals on occasion.

As someone who recently went to college here you're going to get denied right off the bat. She needs to do the full year between school. I believe the community colleges are on the same program, though a community college is significantly cheaper and she may even qualify for scholarships. And all the boxes from the move need to be checked (like for one of my friends, her parents technically did a snowbird thing and has residency in the other state, and that affected her ability to get in-state tuition).

ASU and U of A both are almost 50% out-of-state students. Believe me they've figured out when "recent" transplant students have lied to them to get in-state tuition. And they are strict on it. The savings are massive, what is it 40k versus 10k a year on tuition alone? The universities aren't going to let somebody slide on this. It does look like you are uprooting the whole family to support her going to ASU, not the business. The timing is just "convenient".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 04:00 AM

83 posts, read 73,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This is true. I knew people who went to high school with me all 4 years here in Arizona and were still denied in-state tuition. They had some weird paperwork of them with proof of residency in other states since they were transplants of them being literal adolescents (like elementary) and their parents I think missed a couple things. Nonetheless they got in-state tuition on the appeal, but it's even happened to actual locals on occasion.

As someone who recently went to college here you're going to get denied right off the bat. She needs to do the full year between school. I believe the community colleges are on the same program, though a community college is significantly cheaper and she may even qualify for scholarships. And all the boxes from the move need to be checked (like for one of my friends, her parents technically did a snowbird thing and has residency in the other state, and that affected her ability to get in-state tuition).

ASU and U of A both are almost 50% out-of-state students. Believe me they've figured out when "recent" transplant students have lied to them to get in-state tuition. And they are strict on it. The savings are massive, what is it 40k versus 10k a year on tuition alone? The universities aren't going to let somebody slide on this. It does look like you are uprooting the whole family to support her going to ASU, not the business. The timing is just "convenient".
Yep, you hit exactly everything I was trying to express. I cannot see ASU falling for this as they're very picky about resident tuition and honestly rightfully so. It's resident tuition for a reason. It was one thing when I thought there might be a year or more gap for the daughter between applying / attending but she'll have to apply before even arriving to AZ and that right there will also disqualify her since she won't even be living here at the time, she'll probably even be accepted before she gets to AZ if she applies soon (or has already applied). I see a swift rejection on the residency application and I can't imagine an appeal being approved either considering all the info given.

But if his post history is correct, the dad and family live in California I think? And if that's the case, she is eligible for WUE and both Utah and Arizona participate in it (those are the two areas the dad seems to be looking at). But she needs to go for it quick as I believe there's a deadline to apply for WUE.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 731 times
Default results

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetmedia1 View Post
have a planned trip to Phoenix in the next week or two. May make a stop at the admissions office at ASU to ask the question of their financial aid office directly.

How did your application for residency go? Were you successful? We are in the same situation. Our petition was denied and now we have to go inform of the board.

Any advise?

Old 09-25-2019, 08:52 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Yes...proofread your posts before hitting "Post Quick Reply".

Old 10-01-2019, 09:16 AM

149 posts, read 151,950 times
Just my 2 cents, since we will be in the same boat next year. I emailed both U of A and ASU and I was informed that since we are moving as a family and our son is still a dependent we only need to file a exemption for dependent student residency. Hope that helps you

Old 08-01-2020, 07:34 PM

14 posts, read 14,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBABY1 View Post
How did your application for residency go? Were you successful? We are in the same situation. Our petition was denied and now we have to go inform of the board.

Any advise?
She went to U of Utah on WUE deal (1 1/2x in-state tuition) in fall 2019. Came home due to virus in spring; did a couple of summer school classes online this summer (2020) at Glendale CC and Estrella Mountain CC. Originally they were going to charge us for out of state; when we appealed they changed it to in-state.

Mom/Dad live in Buckeye (Verrado) since June 2019. Able to prove residency due to voting records, pay stubs from In-n-Out in Arizona, Arizona driver license, voting in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona