Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:59 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times

Advertisements

There has been concerns that Arizona like other western states are being Californized every year. It’s quite interesting how the trend goes as in some ways Arizona seems to want to be the opposite of California. So things can differ quite a bit especially in terms of lax gun laws, stand your ground(which I think is a ridiculous movement, and the ban on certain local ordinances.

Though obviously Arizona has “Californized” overtime at least in some ways. Especially within certain cities. Cities in Arizona seem to probably even more autonomy than even California in making ordinances. Including traffic related ordinances. That is unless the state preempts them.

It appears taxes have also raised over the years as well.
As well as fines and fees. This including traffic and parking, which is higher than most states and not much better than CA in fact some are even higher than CA.

I don’t say that Californiazation is necessarily bad though. Though I would like to find out which cities are more Californized and which are less so. Things seems to vary a lot from city to city in Arizona. And some cities also have a lot of HOAs. So I would be curious which cities are most Californized and which cities are less Californized. And where do you think the state is heading in the near future. I will appreciate any insight available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 12:49 AM

266 posts, read 259,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I will appreciate any insight available.
I would suggest, based upon the tone and content of your posting, you not move to Arizona.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:03 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
I would suggest, based upon the tone and content of your posting, you not move to Arizona.
Because of the opinion stated about "stand your ground" laws? Other than that "political" thing I see nothing wrong with the OP's questions.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:59 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Stay in California, fix your state. Don't change other western states to mini-California. Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Nevada are already screwed up.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:41 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times
Define “Californized”.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Stay in California, fix your state. Don't change other western states to mini-California. Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Nevada are already screwed up.
While I am not a fan of Stand your ground laws of the current context. I do appreciate Arizonans standing their ground against overregulating or nanny state policies coming from progressive California or from progressive snowbirds from the eastern cities or Midwest.
I would not be amused to move to a city or part of Arizona that is just another mini California, this includes communities with an overzealous HOA or convenants.

Colorado is really Cali rado these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Define “Californized”.
Meaning constantly approving a bunch of legislation to control personal behavior or parenting just because it’s a fad sweeping other cities and states or globally. Or just because their neighbor California is doing it. As they are a big fan of new legislation regardless of whether it’s actually scientific or unintended consequences. It isn’t just state governments that do this, many times municipalities are the ones the special interests target as they know 88% of the population live in a municipality and council members are much easier controlled than the much bigger state Assembly and Senate.

Examples of such includes banning hand spanking your toddlers buttock when he or she misbehaves,
Turning a secondary seatbelt/helmet law into a primary one, (if you read the small prints of muni codes there are an alarming number of municipalities in Arizona that adopted this CA like ordinance within their city limits, despite the absence of state law in Arizona), Believe it or not Lake Havasu City actually have an ordinance similar to California state law on using helmets on any wheeled recreational device not just the ones with motors or bicycles. Don’t know if it’s ever enforced in practice though. Also the banning use of tanning beds even if age specific, seriously the state doesn't pay our medical bills nor does the municipality. If want to ban something why not ban the use of commercial use of speed cameras, and the very unsafe practice of conducting traffic stops with unmarked cars instead. And limiting the power of municipalities curtailing otherwise state legal activities and limiting amount extra fees a city could charge.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Scottsdale barred the Satanic Temple from delivering an invocation at their city council meeting, despite them allowing Christian groups to do so. It wound up in a lawsuit still in progress, AFAIK. Had it not been for the SCOTUS, gay marriage would likely still be against the law here. A couple women burglarized a Tempe mosque and there was backlash against their prosecution.

This is a place where personal freedoms seem to be only important as long as they align with the majority's "values". This place really isn't that backwards at all, but know that those that claim to support personal freedoms, usually only do so within the constraints of their own prejudices.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:47 AM

Sorry I meant Californication, not Californization.

Some types of meddling are just overstepping boundaries regardless of which side support it. Left or right, liberal or conservative, dem or rep, whatsoever And some are very radica these days and never thinks of unintended consequences.

The more scary trend these days is that product bans these days is no longer just about pulling a certain product off the shelves like they used to but with little or any noticeable impact to end users, but about keeping the end user’s behavior in line. Is requiring or enforcing a minimum fee on non banned alternatives as well. Meaning that the groups are not happy about just getting rid of a certain product but their success is based upon changing behavior as well.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:15 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Sorry I meant Californication, not Californization.

Some types of meddling are just overstepping boundaries regardless of which side support it. Left or right, liberal or conservative, dem or rep, whatsoever And some are very radica these days and never thinks of unintended consequences.

The more scary trend these days is that product bans these days is no longer just about pulling a certain product off the shelves like they used to but with little or any noticeable impact to end users, but about keeping the end user’s behavior in line. Is requiring or enforcing a minimum fee on non banned alternatives as well. Meaning that the groups are not happy about just getting rid of a certain product but their success is based upon changing behavior as well.
Tons and tons of hyperbole. What are you even talking about?

Old 12-27-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Define “Californized”.
Californication to be exact. I did hear that Arizona had banned or more accurately preempted municpal bans on happy meals, how we choose to carry out our groceries, and from banning state approved fireworks stands. Thats off to a good start. And what attracts me to abandon California for Arizona.

Local Helmet ordinances, I wish the state of Arizona should preempt this next. We shouldn’t worry about riding without a helmet, which legal in Arizona, based on which cities we pass by. The cities don’t pay our medical bills should we hurt ourselves on a wheeled device, in fact. Helmets are actually more dangerous for bystanders.

Of course based on what I read of another poster on Scottsdale I know that some cities are ridiculous.
Therefore I would like to move to a part of Arizona that has less amount of meddling and are the least likely to be Californicated in the future.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 12-27-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona