Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 03:12 PM

292 posts, read 430,546 times

Advertisements

First, of, let me say I have no dog in this fight, as I am not from Arizona. Moreover, I am a Democrat.

If Jon Kyl had been smart, he would have made the effective date of his resignation before Kyrsten Sinema's inauguration, thus making McSally the Senior Senator.

But since that didn't happen, both Senators should be Co-Senior Senators. Both were inaugurated on the same day, for the new Congress. It doesn't matter Sinema was sworn in a few minutes before McSally, as everyone can't be sworn in at once.

I believe in fairness, even though this hurts my party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 05:34 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,254,147 times
McSally ran for the seat and was defeated by Sinema. McSally is only a senator from being appointed.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:04 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,984,119 times
McSally lost. She’s lucky she’s a junior senator

Old 02-02-2019, 07:29 PM

292 posts, read 430,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
McSally ran for the seat and was defeated by Sinema. McSally is only a senator from being appointed.
But both are valid ways t become US Senators. They became Senators at the same time (whe they were sworn in). I am interested only in fairness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
McSally lost. She’s lucky she’s a junior senator
Agreed with that.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:20 AM

357 posts, read 282,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
But both are valid ways t become US Senators. They became Senators at the same time (whe they were sworn in). I am interested only in fairness.
The fairness is that Sinema was elected by the people of AZ. We chose to have Sinema represent us. McSally was appointed due to a vacancy. She was not chosen by the people she represents. Republican governor Ducey said this was why Sinema would be sworn in first and be senior senator. She was chosen by the people.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:36 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,933,259 times
the state has 2 senators, that need to keep the state growing and thriving, and help the country get back on track; why would anyone care who is the senior senator or junior senator??

Old 02-03-2019, 08:57 AM

1,336 posts, read 933,291 times
It's not like McSally got 0 votes... while Sinema won that Senate contest by a clear margin, it was tight up until the final counts, and the facts are that McSally does represent almost half the people in the state, just based on the votes.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:08 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,635,370 times
Quote:
First, of, let me say I have no dog in this fight, as I am not from Arizona. Moreover, I am a Democrat.

If Jon Kyl had been smart, he would have made the effective date of his resignation before Kyrsten Sinema's inauguration, thus making McSally the Senior Senator.

But since that didn't happen, both Senators should be Co-Senior Senators. Both were inaugurated on the same day, for the new Congress. It doesn't matter Sinema was sworn in a few minutes before McSally, as everyone can't be sworn in at once.

If you were a Democrat, you wouldn't have said anything that you do in your OP. The people of Arizona elected Synema. Why should the senator who was selected and not elected become the state's senior senator? Additionally, why do you think senators should hand their seats over instead of letting their constituents elect their replacement in a democratic process?

It sounds like you are a McSally supporter who is still bitter that she lost.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:40 AM

127 posts, read 105,891 times
McSally is lucky to be a US Senator today. If she wasn't in office now, another Republican was going to be appointed. It's up to McSally to keep that seat in the next special election (coming up in 2020).

Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,174,041 times
Quote:

BTW...Senators and Representatives aren't really "inaugurated" regardless of what AOC may think. Sworn-in...yes...by pure definition I suppose you could call that an inauguration but it is not typically referred to in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona