Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 11:44 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times

Advertisements

I don’t hike & I’ve only been here six months, but I haven’t seen any of these things. Or spiders. Or any other bugs really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 01:04 AM

1,336 posts, read 927,972 times
In a visit to AZ home shopping I almost stepped on what I later learned was a bark scorpion, but I was looking down and saw it scurrying around, and killed it with a magazine. I expect it won't be my last encounter, but I've studied how to control them, so plan on not worrying too much about it. You won't die from getting stung.

In California I nearly stepped on a western diamondback baby rattler that I saw yet was sure it was part of the dirt until the last second, thankfully it was early in the day, and it was cold and it didn't react much. And also in CA, I almost unwrapped a rag in which there was a big black widow (very uncharacteristic to not be in her web). So even in CA the bad critters are not rare.

It's warm in the southwest and that means insects and snakes, there is a price to pay for the sunshine.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:52 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I used to teach an "Intro To Hiking" class in the Phoenix area and this topic came up all the time. One of my online hiking groups that is Arizona-centric has been around for over 20 years. This is a group that likes to go off trail to explore, climb and generally go places most people do not go to. In that time, not one person has been struck by a snake. Recently moved to Tucson and I see rattlesnakes during the warmer months at least 2-3 times a week when I'm running or hiking and have never had an issue.

Frankly mosquitoes are more annoying than scorpions, bees and rattlesnakes. I wouldn't base my decision to move to Arizona on the off chance I might see one of these critters. Would be like not wanting to move to the midwest because of seeing deer, which kill more people every year than snakes do.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:15 PM

364 posts, read 618,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Would be like not wanting to move to the midwest because of seeing deer, which kill more people every year than snakes do.

Not that it matters, but....is that true?

Old 02-13-2019, 12:47 PM

LOL, my wife got her windshield caved in by a jumping deer in a not so remote subdivision in Bay area.
Could have been killed had it been a bigger deer... this was a dumb ass one year old.

Re rattlers, I am not anxious to meet an active tail wagger on a trail.

GRMI66 when you run by, they don't get all anxious and ready to strike ?

Old 02-13-2019, 01:02 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Bee swarms are just a hive dividing and one part moving. You don't need to worry about them, they are usually very unaggressive and clumped together. Call a beekeeper if you see one on your tree.

It is of course possible to be attacked by bees if, for example, you hit a bee hive while doing yard work. A bunch of them will come out and try to sting you. That is how they defend the hive. If you have the bee sting allergy you will need to keep an epi-pen available when you are doing yard work, remodeling, hiking, etc. If not, you are unlikely to run into problems. I don't think bee stings are any more or less common in Arizona than in other states. Frankly I would think wetter states where there are lots of blooming plants most of the year would have more bees.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:57 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
LOL, my wife got her windshield caved in by a jumping deer in a not so remote subdivision in Bay area.
Could have been killed had it been a bigger deer... this was a dumb ass one year old.

Re rattlers, I am not anxious to meet an active tail wagger on a trail.

GRMI66 when you run by, they don't get all anxious and ready to strike ?
My experience is maybe 1 out of 10 snakes get into a striking position, curl up and start to buzz you. Because they are cold blooded, in the summer they are too lazy to lift their head and in the winter too cold. Spring and fall they get a bit feisty. But never enough to get concerned.

The only thing I worry about is hives of killer bees. I've been attacked simply by running past an established hive. Plus a couple of years ago a guy died south of Tucson while climbing, rappelled right into a hive. Same thing happened to some guys climbing on Camelback.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 PM

Interesting, thanks.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:08 AM

44 posts, read 77,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm getting ready to move to Arizona, and the same worries crossed my mind till I put it in perspective...I lived in Thailand for two years, and we had cobras and all sorts of creepy crawlies (and yes, I actually ran into a cobra one day and twice pit vipers).
I, too, live in Thailand (4 years) and we get the lot. I've been stung by a scorpion once, but it was my own fault. Just be aware.

We've had pit vipers, cobras, spitting cobras, scorpions and centipedes that have an incredible hard bite.

Don't let it put you off.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 AM

44 posts, read 77,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How do you snake proof a yard?
There is a group on facebook "Snakes of Hua Hin". They have a page on how to snake proof a yard. Even though in Thailand I am sure the same procedures apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona