Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2019, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,647 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My boyfriend and I are currently living in Wisconsin, and have been thinking of moving to the Arizona, more so the Phoenix or Mesa area because we have some friends in those areas. We are sick of the winter weather in Wisconsin, it last way too long!! Anyways, I have a degree in social work and he has worked in construction for many years. We have been setting some money aside for the possible move, but i just want some input from other people who have moved to the Arizona area. How much do you think we should have saved before moving? Is the job market good? Ive looked at some jobs on indeed, but would like to also hear from those living and working in these areas. What are some good places to look for housing(we want to rent an apartment)? I am also at this moment looking at nursing schools! I know that I'd have to live in Arizona for a year before i can get in state tuition, but does anyone know of any schools in Arizona that have a nursing program with lower out of state tuition cost or has the same cost for out of state/ in state tuition? I have two more prerequisites to get done so it's not that big of a deal to wait a year.
I know this is a lot, but i really want to hear people's advice! Thank you in advance from a wisconsinite that is over elsa's snowy grip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:39 AM

446 posts, read 417,062 times
Umm....think you have the wrong forum. This is for the Greenville-Spartanburg, South Carolina area.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 3,647 times
Sorry, i didn't know i clicked on that forum. Thank you for letting me kabir. I'm still getting use to this site. I just set it up a couple minutes ago.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:08 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,979,716 times
At least 3 months unless you can stay with friends took you get setup. Six would be better. Figure minimum of 2k per month if renting. Six would be better. Note you probably don't need that much especially if you can go back home if it doesn't work out. I can't to see with a couple hundred bucks and everything I ordered in a car. But I had lots of family here. Economy is decent depends on how risky you feel.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:07 AM

700 posts, read 920,925 times
You should perhaps rent for the summer first, especially if you decide on Maricopa County. Look at it this way: summer is as extreme and long in Phoenix as winter is extreme and long in say Green Bay. There is a whole suite of behaviors to contend with the heat, just like there is with the cold. Personally I always feel like when I die and go to hell, it will be cold; but the husband has one of those big National Geographic "Bad Boys of the Arctic" polar bear posters hanging behind his desk. You might want to try it out first and see how you two do.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:06 PM

306 posts, read 336,945 times
My wife and I moved to AZ 5 years ago from MI because we were sick of the cold/gray winters. I got a job prior to moving which I would definitely recommend. Until recently I preferred living in AZ, but not by a huge margin. As bad as winters are in the upper midwest (and yours are probably worse than Southeast MI), the summers in AZ (at low elevation) are brutally hot and long. I consider it 5 months of horrible heat and 7 months of great weather. We live in Yuma and I have a good job. We are fortunate enough to have just bought a cabin in Prescott so that tilts the scale WAY in favor of AZ vs MI. We have the best of both worlds within a few hours drive. But to live in Phoenix/Tucson or Yuma all year.... summer is rough. A pool helps alot.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:07 PM

306 posts, read 336,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
You should perhaps rent for the summer first, especially if you decide on Maricopa County. Look at it this way: summer is as extreme and long in Phoenix as winter is extreme and long in say Green Bay. There is a whole suite of behaviors to contend with the heat, just like there is with the cold. Personally I always feel like when I die and go to hell, it will be cold; but the husband has one of those big National Geographic "Bad Boys of the Arctic" polar bear posters hanging behind his desk. You might want to try it out first and see how you two do.
My wife and i are in the same boat. SHe's cold blooded like a lizard and I could live in ALaska.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:05 PM

700 posts, read 920,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint8ball View Post
My wife and i are in the same boat. SHe's cold blooded like a lizard and I could live in ALaska.
Yes my husband thinks those tech jobs at south pole research stations sound intriguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona