Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 12:29 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times

Advertisements

Once on my way back to AZ a CA state trooper had me lower my front side windows and continue driving back to AZ.

Folks, overly dark tint on the front side windows is dangerous. Pedestrians and many times other drivers cannot see you for clues as to what you will do next as a driver. Of course one of the points and another reason LEOs don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 02:48 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,790 times
Good point, Hoonose, I agree with the pedestrian safety point. Didn't think about that until you mentioned it.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:55 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I would tend to doubt that. If your car isn't registered in CA...why would it need to comply with CA regulations? We don't use all their CARB approved auto parts...why would my windows be any different? If it meets AZ law, CA has nothing to say about it.

Because you're driving on CA roads, they may be able to regulate what is legal regarding window tinting regardless of where a vehicle is registered.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:56 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Some very unique responses so far . . .

Dark Window Tint on Driver and Front Passenger Windows is no more or less legal than in most states. Over the years I personally have known a few individuals who have received citations for that violation. Usually just a ten day "remove and verify" type citation but a citation none the less.

Being a frequent pedestrian as well as a Bicycle Rider I understand fully the basic requirement behind those restrictions. Whenever I attempt to cross in front of a vehicle, I am very careful to verify the driver is aware of my presence and a dark tinted window makes that almost impossible.

Sorry, but any vehicle modification that restricts or limits the driver's vision definitely should be illegal regardless of the "empty" claims of reduced interior heat.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:56 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Okay...this has gotten to be a pretty silly argument/discussion about whether or not property registered in one state is subject to regulations in another state and without any definitive legal proof...no one is going to be able to say yes or no.

Common sense would seem to dictate that the vehicle would need to meet the legal standards for the state it is registered in. Now, could a LEO in CA give you a ticket for operating a vehicle that does not meet CA standards in CA? Probably. Chances are they will not as, especially in the case of tint...they would have to pull over every car from out of state (only 9 states and DC match their tint standards or better...and most of those are in the NE) that had legal tint or even only 50% tint on the front windows. Pretty sure they are not going to do that unless they are using it as "probable cause" to pull you over for something else.

I would be surprised if a tint ticket in CA would actually hold up in court if the vehicle was registered in another state and met or exceeded that state's standards. If I ever get pulled over and receive a ticket, I'll let you know what happens.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:01 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
[color="DarkRed"]Some very unique responses so far . . .

Dark Window Tint on Driver and Front Passenger Windows is no more or less legal than in most states. Over the years I personally have known a few individuals who have received citations for that violation. Usually just a ten day "remove and verify" type citation but a citation none the less.
Actually...it varies greatly by state. Window Tint by State Typically you are pretty safe at 50%. Except...apparently...in CA.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Actually...it varies greatly by state. Window Tint by State Typically you are pretty safe at 50%. Except...apparently...in CA.
I'm shocked. Though if I'm Compton PD back in the 90s, I appreciate that law.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:51 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times
Ok, just for kicks, let me ask this. If you can get a ticket in CA for tint that is compliant with AZ law where the vehicle is registered, what about no front license plate? CA law requires one, AZ does not.

How many front license plate tickets should we expect if we ever are silly enough to go to California?

There you go. /end thread

Old 07-26-2019, 08:24 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Ok, just for kicks, let me ask this. If you can get a ticket in CA for tint that is compliant with AZ law where the vehicle is registered, what about no front license plate? CA law requires one, AZ does not.

How many front license plate tickets should we expect if we ever are silly enough to go to California?

There you go. /end thread
I would say that the plate is a statutory issue, the tint a safety issue. From AZ I've been stopped for tint, not for no plate.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:29 AM

Also, many Cali drivers don't mount front plates, except for cities like SF where they used that ridiculous statute to collect revenue with fixit ticket fines.

Having spent 30 years in CA, I'd say they are sensitive to window tint, but would love AZ plated cars alone, esp if the drivers seem to be just passing through or visiting, vs those who moved there, but have not changed registration and DL yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona