Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 04:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,245 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I know there's been threads on this subject in the past, but a lot has changed since 2012 and we'd love some up to date information from African American people living in Arizona, as well as people in mixed relationships or raising a mixed family.

My husband and I are a mixed couple planning to move to Arizona in January.

I'm white/Jewish from Seattle, and he's Black from Atlanta. We currently live internationally and enjoy the ability to pretty much forget that we're a mixed couple. When we visited my parents in Seattle, the same was true. But when we visited his family in Atlanta, we experienced a lot of ... passive-aggressive behavior throughout the city, especially outside the city and in Savannah from white people. It was my first time experiencing that first hand, and I definitely don't want us to live in a place where that's the norm - ESPECIALLY for our future children.

I lived in Prescott for a couple of years and absolutely love AZ, but of course, never saw it through a lens outside my own.

What has been your experience with things like law enforcement or schools?
Racism is everywhere, of course, but does it feel more of a rarity in Arizona or part of daily experience?
Are there any areas in Arizona you would recommend or not?

Thank you so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 11:30 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
My guess is that it will be a non-issue, Arizona is a pretty diverse state. Have a brother in law enforcement and one of his pet peeves is being accused of profiling when doing a traffic stop. Almost everyone in the state drives with tinted windows, so he can't tell what you look like until he has you roll down the window. Keep your hands at 10 & 2 and answer the officers questions calmly and there shouldn't be any issues. Same advice I'd give anyone, no matter what the color of their skin is.

Two of my close relatives are involved in mixed race relationships and visit often after relocating to other cities for work. They experienced more discrimination in the midwest and east coast where they live now, than anything around here.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:44 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaciafae View Post
Hi there!

I know there's been threads on this subject in the past, but a lot has changed since 2012 and we'd love some up to date information from African American people living in Arizona, as well as people in mixed relationships or raising a mixed family.

My husband and I are a mixed couple planning to move to Arizona in January.

I'm white/Jewish from Seattle, and he's Black from Atlanta. We currently live internationally and enjoy the ability to pretty much forget that we're a mixed couple. When we visited my parents in Seattle, the same was true. But when we visited his family in Atlanta, we experienced a lot of ... passive-aggressive behavior throughout the city, especially outside the city and in Savannah from white people. It was my first time experiencing that first hand, and I definitely don't want us to live in a place where that's the norm - ESPECIALLY for our future children.

I lived in Prescott for a couple of years and absolutely love AZ, but of course, never saw it through a lens outside my own.

What has been your experience with things like law enforcement or schools?
Racism is everywhere, of course, but does it feel more of a rarity in Arizona or part of daily experience?
Are there any areas in Arizona you would recommend or not?

Thank you so much for your time!
There are a couple of YouTube channels that I would recommend you checking out. They both address moving to and living in Arizona (Phoenix Metro) and involve black or interracial families. The first channel is called "Arizona Dreamz." The channel host moved to Arizona from Michigan about two years ago with his wife and their three children. He happens to be white and his wife is black. They recently produced a video on the issue of being an interracial couple in Arizona. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/O3CiiETN7tg

The other YouTube channel is "Desert Dweller Debz": https://youtu.be/Pb4fsvWTHmI

The hostess of this channel is a black woman of Congolese descent, who was born and raised in Paris, France. Her videos are similar those of Arizona Dreamz but include more ethnic experiences and sites in the Phoenix Metro area.

And from my personal perspective, my great-aunt's family lives in Tucson. They also happen to be black and my cousins have been quite successful in their respective fields of endeavor (dentistry, higher education, school administration).

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by sacreole; 08-11-2019 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 03:05 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
To be honest and cut to the chase, it'll really depend on where you're looking at in AZ. I'm thinking that metro Phoenix or Tucson will be somewhere in between your experiences in Atlanta and Seattle.

Smaller areas can be a mixed bag in AZ... in most smaller towns, however I think people have a live and let live attitude. People generally tend to stay out of everyone else's business, and for many of them that's why they live there in the first place.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:19 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Don't think you will have a problem at all. I have dear friends in mixed-marriages and they all do fine. Good luck with your move and let me be the first to welcome you back to Arizona.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Well...Atlanta is still the "South". Will you run into prejudice in AZ...probably...but it won't be as widespread as GA. I would probably say 95% of the time...people won't care about your or your husband's skin tone. It tends to be more how you treat others. If you are rude and self-centered, expect to be treated poorly. If you are normally open and friendly you will probably get the same in return. Unless the person you are dealing with is in a serious need of a Snickers bar.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 PM

848 posts, read 966,559 times
I am white and my wife is mixed, and we have kids. We've been here for 5 years and have never had any issues. Specifically, the Phoenix metro area.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:02 AM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
I'm in PhoenixSomeday boat, and I am sure there are, by definition, in this large population some few well hidden stereotypers who dream of the all white blond hair blue eye society. But really, are you insulted by someone who is clearly so unintelligent that they believe there is an inequality because of the tone of the top 200 microns of someones epidermis? Me? I just laugh at them.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:54 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Mixed race couples are not an issue here. People are pretty chill about that in the Phoenix area.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:41 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
We do lox and ribs the same day 'round here. Don't care what you look like, as long as you're nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona