Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:53 AM

994 posts, read 966,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Left Phoenix due to the underwhelming job opportunities in the area. For a city of its size, the quality of job options isn't good. Not high quality large corporate HQs in the area. Chose to move to Dallas because of the number of Fortune 500 HQs in the area, making for better quality jobs in the region.
No big HQs? https://www.zippia.com/advice/larges...es-in-arizona/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 09:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
You don’t think that’s impressive do you? Look at a place like Dallas. I totally see his point. We’re not exactly the commercial hub that a city our size should be.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:47 AM

994 posts, read 966,924 times
I guess its all in what career you're in.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:39 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times
Phoenix has always had a reputation as the place you put your regional HQ, not your main HQ. Even now it appears that Silicon Valley will use Phoenix as the location of their back room operations, while the C-Suite remains in California.

State Farm opened up a huge regional office in Tempe, but the corporate office is still out of state. As does USAA, most of the credit card companies and banks.

Purely anecdotal on my part, but was involved in sales for a number of years in the Phoenix area. Most of the wealthy or upper middle class people I came across owned their own service business and were not employees of a larger company based in the area. Phoenix is a great place to be entrepreneurial.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I guess its all in what career you're in.
Not really unless we’re talking about low-level jobs in customer service and hospitality. There are far less white collar career opportunities and major employers here across all fields than there are in other like-sized cities.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:24 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,366 times
The job market. I was a truck driver. Once I called a company. They hauled fuel to gas stations. They offered 5.50 an hour in 1995.... The most I made was 14 bucks an hour. And folks in the office could be real back stabbers.
Moved to Indiana, out in the boonies. Found an excellent paying driving job.

But I will always love Arizona.....

Old 09-10-2019, 12:15 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Left Phoenix due to the underwhelming job opportunities in the area. For a city of its size, the quality of job options isn't good. Not high quality large corporate HQs in the area. Chose to move to Dallas because of the number of Fortune 500 HQs in the area, making for better quality jobs in the region.
If I was on the move primarily for higher paying jobs in a reputable national/global corporation, I would definitely choose Dallas or Houston. Those two metros are still larger than the Phoenix metro, but not by a whole lot when you look at the numbers ... however, the number of Fortune 500/Fortune 1,000 firms headquartered in Dallas & Houston makes Phoenix look like Mayberry in comparison when we're talking about corporations & job opportunities.

I hate to admit this, but there is one thing Phoenix has going for it over Dallas, and that is the climate. Phoenix's climate isn't anything to brag about when you factor in the blast furnace summers and the dryness/lack of rain, but Dallas has very hot, humid summers, cold winters, frequent severe storms (including a rather high tornado risk), and drastic temperature variations during other times of the year.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:27 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
If I was on the move primarily for higher paying jobs in a reputable national/global corporation, I would definitely choose Dallas or Houston. Those two metros are still larger than the Phoenix metro, but not by a whole lot when you look at the numbers ... however, the number of Fortune 500/Fortune 1,000 firms headquartered in Dallas & Houston makes Phoenix look like Mayberry in comparison when we're talking about corporations & job opportunities.

I hate to admit this, but there is one thing Phoenix has going for it over Dallas, and that is the climate. Phoenix's climate isn't anything to brag about when you factor in the blast furnace summers and the dryness/lack of rain, but Dallas has very hot, humid summers, cold winters, frequent severe storms (including a rather high tornado risk), and drastic temperature variations during other times of the year.
Your first paragraph was exactly my thought process when I moved.

Phoenix is unpleasant from May 1 until mid-October with heat. Most of the rest of the year is pleasant. I felt the winters were a bit overrated in Phoenix because the temperature variation. Sure, it is 65-70 during the day in January, but being outdoors on a patio in Old Town Scottsdale at 1-2 am in January feels cold. It is usually in the 30s at that time. In Florida or Hawaii, that wouldn't happen. It's still a very nice winter because of the daytime though.

Dallas has a shorter hot season (June - September) but in exchange for that, there's a colder winter (but still not that bad of one compared to most of the U.S.) and severe storms. Ice storms in the winter every so often and regular thunderstorms in the spring/early summer. Storms have produced worse power outages in Dallas than I ever saw in Phoenix. No monsoon produced an awful power outage like I've seen with some storms in my time in Dallas.

I was disappointed that things didn't work out in Phoenix. It was the first city that I lived in after college graduation (in my mid-30s now). At that stage, a person tends to be more optimistic and my experiences in Phoenix did leave me a little more jaded, mostly related to the work and employment component of life.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,778 times
It's my home state. I go back every once in awhile to visit my parents, relatives, and good friends in Tempe, Buckeye, and Gilbert. I left in 2011 because the candidate pool for my choice of profession is over saturated to the point where wages are way too low for the cost of living, for a single person. It hasn't gotten any better since I've left. They keep dropping! WTF? Only stupid and desperate people will accept crappy wages, and that is the way many companies out there prefer their candidates to be. From the other posts, it looks like many of us left for better career pastures.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,244 times
yeah, it looks like no one wants to move here...

https://www.azfamily.com/shows/good_...a2b72f25e.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona