Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 12:03 PM

306 posts, read 335,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping322 View Post

Does anyone else find that the "lifeless" nature of living in a desert can get depressing at times?
I don't care for the desert landscape myself, but I have a good job here. I go up north as often as I can to get my green on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 12:18 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Wife and I want to get out of Phoenix so bad been here since the 90's we both have high paying jobs for last 12 years. Difficult to leave high paying job where good job security at the same time not good to stay with the same company so long. .
What type of job do you have that pays well in Phoenix? Reason I ask is because my field is a significant cut if I moved to phoenix.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:08 AM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
What type of job do you have that pays well in Phoenix? Reason I ask is because my field is a significant cut if I moved to phoenix.
Information Technology Network administration for an electric utility 6 figure salary no college degree. I probably could do better with a college degree most have one. I want to go 100% remote if possible not stuck in one place only need an internet connection.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:17 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
On a whim, I came on this site (rare anymore) and saw this thread in the main room. I relocated from Phoenix to Los Angeles, and while I can say in life there are things I shouldn't have done or wish I'd done differently, I feel that leaving Phoenix was one of the best decisions I ever made.

First and foremost, the cost of living in Phoenix is far too high for what it's actually worth. The cost of living in LA is higher, but I can definitely see where my money is going. Second, I would slap down that "lower cost of living" BS Phoenix people like to toss around; some of my expenses did go up, such as taxes, rent, and gas, yet somehow I actually have MORE money at the end of the month than I did in Phoenix. For me, I was able to give myself a substantial raise moving to California than I could ever make in Phoenix (based on market rates) and I'm doing better financially than I ever would had I stayed in Phoenix. Frankly, living in Phoenix isn't worth the struggle, when I was living paycheck-to-paycheck. Oh gosh...people don't factor all that in when they fixate on "lower taxes!" and "cheap housing!" My career in LA is going great and I've never been better off financially. It's almost a weird sensation to me that I don't need to work overtime or holidays to get by, as I did in Phoenix. I should add that I do have a Master's and plenty of work experience, so struggling to get by in a city I loathe is absolute BS.

I'm not going to touch the climate, because that's really not a reason I'd choose a place, though admittedly the climate in LA is much more pleasant. I'm able to walk to places and use public transit more viably now as an alternative because the city is just more urban than Phoenix ever will be. On occasion I come online, but I've found there's much, MUCH more to do in LA than vent frustrations here (I'm expressing myself now only from experience). My personality has returned more to normal, in that I'm not constantly agitated and irritable, except for when the occasion warrants it.

I feel like anything you read on these Phoenix forums is a fat load too, especially the tired old "it's a different kind of conservative" and it's "live and let live." Neither one of those are even remotely true in my experience, but seem to be some mantra Phoenicians spew without any actual understanding. As an example, two of the three of my previous Halloween costumes were in Phoenix, and I caught some flak for them. The third and most recent, in Los Angeles, had people running up to have their picture taken with me. I feel like you can be more expressive in LA without the churchy judgment you get in Phoenix.

Overall, it was a variety of factors that made me want to get out of Phoenix, and I'm not going to write an essay on it tonight. I still feel like Phoenix should brand itself as "Hospice City" as it's a place you go when you've given up and are ready to die, and because that's just not my personality I chose to leave. I really do feel like LA is a constant defibrillator, and even when I get tired, it pumps life back into me, whereas Phoenix I feel was sending me to an early death.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:01 AM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Being raised in Socal 1970's-90's I can say Phoenix is much more Conservative, and religious then where I grew up. Since I moved to Phoenix in the mid 90's I have seen change here more to the left. I can say I moved to Arizona because I bought a 1900 SQ home for 79k with 25k down payment my monthly loan was cheaper then a studio apartment in Costa Mesa California. I had my car broken into twice and apartment maintenance left my door open all day one day someone ran sacked my apartment. I had enough of apartment living moved here so I could have my own home, and nice garage for my car. It felt so good to own my own home after renting rooms, and studio apartments. I could only afford folding chairs and small TV way back 1993.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
I loved the decade we spent in the valley (and the year in Flagstaff) but we ultimately missed four seasons and water. So we moved to the northwest. Love it. Miss AZ in February but still love the seasons.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:19 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Terrible bus service, hard to utilize a college degree, Obamacare, two months of deadly heat, and average weight for females over age 25 is 165 pounds. Things just got turned inside out after the GFC..still not back to normal in most of the world. I bought my third home in Thailand last year. No property taxes, low condo fee, friendly people. The lady, who took my 25 cents for the bus ride, yesterday, was better looking than any lady I have ever seen on Central Ave..
Isn't Obamacare everywhere?

Old 09-22-2019, 05:25 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Isn't Obamacare everywhere?
I spend most of the year in Bangkok, and carry pretty good insurance for 105 per month.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:27 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
As an example, two of the three of my previous Halloween costumes were in Phoenix, and I caught some flak for them. The third and most recent, in Los Angeles, had people running up to have their picture taken with me. I feel like you can be more expressive in LA without the churchy judgment you get in Phoenix.
*Halloween* costumes?

Can I ask your age?

I'm also curious what your Halloween costumes were and where you were wearing them.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:12 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I spend most of the year in Bangkok, and carry pretty good insurance for 105 per month.
Your point is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona