Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 07:41 AM

56 posts, read 40,401 times

Advertisements

You can get into Verrado in the mid-300s. It goes up from there and will go as high as you can take it. It is very nice regardless of price point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 08:13 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoster View Post
My wife and I are moving back to the US after an extended period abroad and we are currently looking at places that meet our criteria.

Here is what is most important to us in terms of places to live:
1. Friendly people.
2. Good healthcare.
3. Small/medium sized city (perhaps around 10K - 30K people).
4. Reasonable COL with nice homes available for under 300K without high property taxes.
5. Warmer rather than colder weather, without significant extremes and with lots of natural beauty.
6. Local government that respects human rights and does not infringe on Constitutionally protected activities.
7. Excellent internet access.
8. Low crime - High safety.
9. Nowhere there has been rioting, looting or burning during the recent protests.

Pluses would be:
1. Organic markets.
2. Vegetarian options for dining.
3. Educational opportunities for my wife (ESL classes, perhaps a university or college if she chooses to attend).

Things that do not matter to us:
1. Job prospects - I work online.
2. Education - We intend to homeschool.

Please make some suggestions.

Thanks!

I don't think anywhere hits all of those marks. I would say Vail is a pretty good mix of what you are looking for.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:58 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Prescott, Prescott Valley, Vail, Cottonwood check those areas.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:55 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
My wife and I are moving back to the US after an extended period abroad and we are currently looking at places that meet our criteria.

Here is what is most important to us in terms of places to live:
1. Friendly people.
2. Good healthcare.
3. Small/medium sized city (perhaps around 10K - 30K people).
4. Reasonable COL with nice homes available for under 300K without high property taxes.
5. Warmer rather than colder weather, without significant extremes and with lots of natural beauty.
6. Local government that respects human rights and does not infringe on Constitutionally protected activities.
7. Excellent internet access.
8. Low crime - High safety.
9. Nowhere there has been rioting, looting or burning during the recent protests.

Pluses would be:
1. Organic markets.
2. Vegetarian options for dining.
3. Educational opportunities for my wife (ESL classes, perhaps a university or college if she chooses to attend).

Things that do not matter to us:
1. Job prospects - I work online.
2. Education - We intend to homeschool.

Please make some suggestions.

Thanks!
Payson if you're definitely looking for a small town between 10,000 & 30,000 population, but internet access is unreliable, and health care isn't the best. Prescott if you don't mind a place with a population over 30,000. Both Prescott & Payson have an elevation of roughly 5,000, both have warm summers & cold winters with some snowfall, but you usually won't find extreme weather conditions in either place. Overall, I don't know of anywhere in AZ which fits exactly what you're looking for, although you'll certainly come close if you don't mind sacrificing a few things on your list.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:32 AM

137 posts, read 142,697 times
Just as a point of closure, we've decided to go to the Prescott area and surrounding (PV, Cottonwood, etc.) and check it out.

I really appreciate everyone's input and it's been a huge help!

Old 12-14-2020, 12:42 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
Quote:
Just as a point of closure, we've decided to go to the Prescott area and surrounding (PV, Cottonwood, etc.) and check it out.

Let us know what your thoughts once you're there! Beautiful nice area to live in

Old 12-14-2020, 08:34 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:

We love it here, moved about 9 mos ago.
It certainly checks all of your boxes :-)

Except the population is a bit larger, but with that you get the improved medical care, etc

Prescott and PV are at 40k each, but there are little towns around that have less, and you can always drive into the big city.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2021, 06:09 PM

74 posts, read 132,237 times
Like Meth? Payson

Like Crime? Phoenix

Like Snakes? Tucson

Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:54 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times
Quote:

I find that whole stretch from Cordes Lakes to Ash Fork traveling AZ 69 AND 89 to be quite ugly. That whole yellow grassland below the expensive Prescott pine line is as ugly as it gets to me. Prescott Valley Chino Valley and Paulden especially. Cheaper than Prescott but it is to me the worst of AZ. Very Red demographic too.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:57 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour D View Post
Like Meth? Payson

Like Crime? Phoenix

Like Snakes? Tucson

Hope this helps.
I actually enjoy the Tucson area a great deal.Prettier and more diverse scenery at doorstep than in PHX. Not having a beltway does make east west travel difficult on city streets however. I feel it represents true SW charm not found in most of PHX area however. If one can make a reasonable living in Tucson...I recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona