Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 07:11 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Here's the deal when you use the raw number instead of a percentage. As of today, there have been 15,480 deaths in Arizona. If we have just one more death, making it 15,481, that's a new 'record' when reported the way this thread was. Get it?

We're going on and on about something that has killed .2% of the population, only 1.9% of those who have been infected, and has only infected 11% of our population.

Link: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Most folks followed all the 'rules' all summer and into the fall. Did that stop the spike? No. Even Fauci was using the term 'herd immunity' the other day.

I feel sorry for those of you who have been made so damn afraid of this.
Context. Fauci uses it to mean we need people vaccinated; not let it run unabated and hope for the best

Old 02-21-2021, 09:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Context. Fauci uses it to mean we need people vaccinated; not let it run unabated and hope for the best
Exactly. This was pointed out to him before. Herd immunity isn't a dirty word. Letting this run wild as a means to get there though would not only be devastating, but would take years, if ever. Whether you have empathy for others or not, that's not a strategy to save lives and get the economy back.

Old 02-21-2021, 11:43 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
We kept hearing how Arizona's COVID numbers are extremely high compared to the rest of the nation, but nobody has been able to pinpoint the exact reasons. Many have speculated that we're not using stricter mitigation efforts, but I disagree because there are other states that have barely done anything to slow the spread, and they don't have the high numbers that AZ has. Perhaps these numbers are misleading due to inaccurate test results ... in other words: false positives. The fact that our humidity is on the low side could also be a contributing factor because viruses spread faster when the air is dry.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
We kept hearing how Arizona's COVID numbers are extremely high compared to the rest of the nation, but nobody has been able to pinpoint the exact reasons. Many have speculated that we're not using stricter mitigation efforts, but I disagree because there are other states that have barely done anything to slow the spread, and they don't have the high numbers that AZ has. Perhaps these numbers are misleading due to inaccurate test results ... in other words: false positives. The fact that our humidity is on the low side could also be a contributing factor because viruses spread faster when the air is dry.
Lack of mitigation enforcement, uneducated populace, high concentration of multigenerational housing, tourist destination. It’s a perfect storm.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:13 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Lack of mitigation enforcement, uneducated populace, high concentration of multigenerational housing, tourist destination. It’s a perfect storm.
Other places fit this exact description, but they weren't COVID hot spots like we have been. Florida meets a lot of these characteristics, and they have been on the high side, but Arizona ranks quite a bit higher when counting the number of cases per 100,000. Parts of California (particularly the southern areas) also have a high number of cases despite their stricter mitigation. I'm nearly certain the dryness has something to do with it.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...aps-and-cases/

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...tatracker-home

Old 02-21-2021, 10:59 PM

962 posts, read 469,724 times
Florida's numbers may not be completely reliable.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:53 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Florida's numbers may not be completely reliable.
That could be and has been said about all the numbers.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:02 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times
Quote:
Here's the deal when you use the raw number instead of a percentage. As of today, there have been 15,480 deaths in Arizona. If we have just one more death, making it 15,481, that's a new 'record' when reported the way this thread was. Get it?

We're going on and on about something that has killed .2% of the population, only 1.9% of those who have been infected, and has only infected 11% of our population.

Link: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Most folks followed all the 'rules' all summer and into the fall. Did that stop the spike? No. Even Fauci was using the term 'herd immunity' the other day.

I feel sorry for those of you who have been made so damn afraid of this.
500,000 have died from this, and no one should be cautious or afraid? It is like the entire city of Atlanta being wiped out. I feel sorry for all the foolish people who say "meh". Thank God you did not lose anyone in your family to this.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Exactly. This was pointed out to him before. Herd immunity isn't a dirty word. Letting this run wild as a means to get there though would not only be devastating, but would take years, if ever.
I do not think I have ever used the term 'herd immunity' before, though I do know it has been tossed around a lot in these discussions, so how could this be pointed out to me before when this is the first time I have used the phrase. And why would you imply that I think it is a dirty word? I do see the fact that I misunderstood the context, so there is that. Herd immunity can be either letting it run its course, or getting enough folks 'vaccinated' to let it die out.

Every other 'pandemic' we have had we had no choice but to let it run wild, so to speak, and yet here we still are, more and more of us.

And please tell me, how devastating can it be when it is only infecting 11% of our population, with 1.9% of those infected dying, for an overall death rate of .2% of the total population?

Why are you continually promoting these draconian measures? It is NOT the disease that is ruining our economy, it is the so called 'experts' that are infusing folks with so much fear. Fear of a disease that is barley more deadly than the flu. Fear of a disease that has a mortality rate of .2%!

Old 02-22-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I do not think I have ever used the term 'herd immunity' before, though I do know it has been tossed around a lot in these discussions, so how could this be pointed out to me before when this is the first time I have used the phrase. And why would you imply that I think it is a dirty word? I do see the fact that I misunderstood the context, so there is that. Herd immunity can be either letting it run its course, or getting enough folks 'vaccinated' to let it die out.

Every other 'pandemic' we have had we had no choice but to let it run wild, so to speak, and yet here we still are, more and more of us.

And please tell me, how devastating can it be when it is only infecting 11% of our population, with 1.9% of those infected dying, for an overall death rate of .2% of the total population?

Why are you continually promoting these draconian measures? It is NOT the disease that is ruining our economy, it is the so called 'experts' that are infusing folks with so much fear. Fear of a disease that is barley more deadly than the flu. Fear of a disease that has a mortality rate of .2%!
Math isn't hard. It's estimated that at minimum, 80% of the population need antibodies for herd immunity to stop this thing. If we let it run wild, without mitigation 262mm Americans would need to get the virus and using our current death rate, of those 4.46mm would die. So, sure let's kill over 4 million Americans and give a couple hundred million others unknown lasting conditions so people don't have to use masks, social distance, and get vaccinated. Also, as this is spreading unabated it is continuing to mutate, becoming more contagious and possibly more deadly. Given that, these should be conservative numbers at best.

It's easy to chalk this up as nothing but fear when you don't understand what the magnitude of not stopping this pandemic means. Once understanding the numbers, it's clear what is right and and what is wrong in determining the best path forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona