Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 PM

13 posts, read 38,896 times

Advertisements

Can you all please recommend a city in AZ that has four seasons? I am divorced, 48, no kids/pets and moving in three weeks - plans to move to Lexington KY just fell through, so, need to find a place to go in THREE WEEKS. Cali too expensive, my hometown of Baton Rouge crime rate soaring, Seattle drenched, HELP! Feel so lost. I wonder if you all may know of a city that has four seasons, over 50k pop? thx in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,211 times
Possibilities in AZ (4 seasons, pop over 50k) Flagstaff, Prescott (including Prescott Valley, Chino Valley - about 85,000), and then some cities in SE Arizona. I'm not sure of the population, but I think Sierra Vista and Bisbee might be close. There might be a couple of others in SE Arizona.

What about Albuquerque, NM? Or someplace in Texas?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 AM

29 posts, read 75,087 times
I moved from Phoenix to the Albuquerque area in 2006. Compared to Phoenix, there are what people from other parts of the country seem to consider central to the seasonal experience: leaves fall off trees, some snow falls, leaves grow back. If that's the sort of thing you're looking for, ABQ does have it.

I didn't leave Phoenix for the weather; I hate the cold, love the heat and miss citrus trees. I grew up in Phoenix so I measure the passing of seasons by completely different factors and frankly wouldn't mind if it were 110 every day. But, FWIW, since someone else mentioned ABQ, that's what's here.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
I would vote for Prescott. Has just about all the shopping you can dream of and 4 seasons.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
One thing I have noticed is there are no true '4 season' areas W of the Rocky Mountains as defined by hot summers and cold winters in the same geographic locale.

Phx has no winters compared to Chicago yet Flagstaff's summers are not exactly 'hot' either going by Chi's

And; most of coastal SoCal has no de facto seasons as determined by average temperatures

Old 05-12-2008, 10:01 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Phx has no winters compared to Chicago yet
Flaggstaff's high temps are only a few degrees warmer than Chicago's during the day, just as cold at night, and Flagg gets A LOT more snow.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 PM

13 posts, read 45,708 times
Cool Weather

Flagstaff had snow on Tuesday, May 13th!!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:02 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
Yeah...a whopping two inches which melted off almost immediately. And is extremely rare for this date.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:14 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Yeah...a whopping two inches which melted off almost immediately. And is extremely rare for this date.
It's interesting how people from central and southern AZ, as well as from other parts of the country like the midwest, make such a big deal about how Flag gets "so much snow" and is "so cold". Never mind that the snow, for whatever annual accumulation statistics show, generally melts almost immediately or at least within a few days (even in the dead of winter) if there's a big snowfall, in the city itself and at lower elevations, due to the sun and low atmospheric pressure.

And also, the whole lack of humidity phenomenon which makes it seem much more comfortable at hot temps in a place like Phoenix (to a point) also works the same way for cold temps- meaning that with the intense sun and dry air, sub-freezing temps feel much more comfortable than they do in cold, humid climates. I live in Durango, which has a similar climate to Flag's, and am a MI native. Never would I trade the winters here for the ones back in the midwest I grew up with- it's SO much nicer here. Trust me, if you ever lived in this part of the country, you'd understand. It ain't at all what you'd think if you just read the statistics.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
Steve22, you are right on. I live near Flagstaff and have been in a Chicago winter and Flagstaff does not even begin to compare with midwest snow. Not sure what statistics say but our western moutain winters are nothing like midwestern winters. (Sorry Steve-O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona