Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 07:35 PM

55 posts, read 52,105 times

Advertisements

I've driven 10 from coast to coast practically. Arizona, New Mexico and Texas all look the same. My take is to rent there for six months or a year before buying if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 02:36 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Try living in College station as a U.T. graduate like I was LOL. You will find out quickly just how quick and deep that southern bless your heart <stab stab stab> goes LOL.

No wonder you have the attitude you do.

I grew up with the rivalry between Cal and Stanford, but that is nothing compared to A&M and UT, Auburn and Alabama, and some others.

Old 06-15-2021, 02:55 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm glad to read this. We're north of the Houston area and just got back from a two week vacation to Arizona. We fell in love. The main thing we hate about Houston is there are no natural areas to get out and exercise. 0 bike trails, no walking areas, no parks or swimming. Everything has turned into retail spaces and subdivisions. Everyone's hobby is eating and getting fat. It's making us depressed. Everything involves an hour drive. While we were in Arizona, we hit a natural or state park every day and happily put in 15,000 steps at least. Not bad for a middle aged inactive overweight couple. We've been looking to leave Houston for a long time but our major issue is budget. We don't have a big one, and most areas are just too expensive. We own here but don't want to sell only to take on a big mortgage. We've talked about AZ ever since getting back. We're determined to make it work somehow. We want to downsize to a condo anyway.

You'd have to get in your car and drive a few miles south, but The Woodlands has those things.

We have condos too .

I've spent a number of months in Arizona....Tucson metro, Phoenix metro, Yuma, Nogales, Flagstaff, Cochise County (Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Douglas, etc.), Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu, etc.

I enjoy visiting, but If I'm going to live in that much dry heat (with some mugginess during monsoon season), or close to it, I'd rather live in Vegas and have no state income tax (like Texas).

Old 06-20-2021, 08:40 AM

166 posts, read 191,864 times
wow Ty everyone. I moved to texas 3 yrs ago and my allergies as well as my dogs have skyrocketed. We didnt even know we had allergies. anyway i want outa texas so bad. I do have everything i need here except dry weather!! as i sit having coffee the windows are all fogged up with humidity!! I am retired and I lived in phoenix years ago at 24th and camelback with my ex! I kept telling him I want to be back in arizona. Anyway 33 yrs later I am writing this email for any good advice how it is there now? Is it good for us older people?? How's the medical care compared?? I am looking for retirement places what areas are good?? ty!!

Old 06-20-2021, 10:04 AM

Arizona best small towns??

Last edited by ellie84; 06-20-2021 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: dup

Old 06-20-2021, 10:37 AM

33 posts, read 46,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie84 View Post
Has anyone moved from Texas to Arizona??
We moved here from Texas and I have noticed that Arizona badly wants to be Texas, haha.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:49 PM

558 posts, read 971,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I enjoy visiting, but If I'm going to live in that much dry heat (with some mugginess during monsoon season), or close to it, I'd rather live in Vegas and have no state income tax (like Texas).
I think there's a misconception that having no state income tax makes for lower overall taxes/cost of living.

When we moved from Houston (no state income tax) to Prescott in 2007, our 1600 sq ft 50 year old ranch house in Houston cost me $5500/year in property tax. Who knows how much that would be today?

Today, in 2021, my 15 year old 2000 sq ft home in Prescott costs me $1000 in property tax.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
And this is exactly what anyone who lives/lived in Texas knows.

Just one comment about the "beaches" in Texas vs California. Oh lord....help me to not get banned here! The first time we went to Galveston from Houston after growing up in So Cal, I was nauseous. The water was disgusting brown, the beach was horribly narrow and everything was on stilts thanks to the numerous hurricane storm surge. It is ugly ugly ugly. The humidity was ungodly bad. There was NOTHING refreshing about it.

Look, we escaped Texas and I no longer have any skin in the game there. I just feel moderately obligated to let people thinking about moving to Texas know what they are in for. It really is that bad...

Lastly I will simply say this....every morning my wife and I wake up in AZ, open the windows...Yes OPEN THE ACTUAL WINDOWS....we thank god we are here.
I never open my windows here in texas. I did when I first moved here but I soon learned to keep them shut. I do miss the non humid clear air a natural breeze!!

Old 06-22-2021, 07:05 PM

364 posts, read 617,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
I think there's a misconception that having no state income tax makes for lower overall taxes/cost of living.

When we moved from Houston (no state income tax) to Prescott in 2007, our 1600 sq ft 50 year old ranch house in Houston cost me $5500/year in property tax. Who knows how much that would be today?

Today, in 2021, my 15 year old 2000 sq ft home in Prescott costs me $1000 in property tax.

EXACTLY. Our cost of living plummeted when we moved to AZ. Not just property taxes but property insurance went from $3k/year in TX to $741/year here in AZ. Why? No natural disasters. Take from that want you want, but that is a HUGE decrease in expenses. I'm not even going to mention all the other price decreases like power, water, trash etc. But hey, don't just listen to me...look it up!

Old 06-22-2021, 08:04 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post

That's nothing, when we lived in New York the property taxes on our 3 bedroom 1 bath 1100 sq. ft. home that was built in 1962 was close to $12,000 a year and that was 11 years ago. New York State also has an income tax. I have no idea what the property taxes on that home are now? So there I gotcha' beat.

My friend who owns a three family home back in New York now pays around $60,000 a year in property taxes. Of course those taxes are passed on down to his two tenants, he lives in one unit. Yet people wonder why the rents are so freakin' high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona