Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are doing some research on relocating to AZ and are looking at CG. From what I can tell it looks like basically a commuter city. Homes seem to be large and cheap. So much so that it makes me wonder if there's something wrong with the place, i.e. comparable homes in Chandler and Mesa seem to be $100k higher.

Anything to be aware of?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 05:42 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
I'm assuming you mean Casa Grande? It's a city that for years was simply the halfway point between Tucson and Phoenix and where guys like me detoured for a quick pit stop while driving in between the two cities. Most of the surrounding area was farmland as far as the eye could see.

Though CG is connected by two interstates that go to California and a rail line. My take is over the next couple of decades Casa Grande turns into something similar to California's Inland Empire with tons of manufacturing, logistics companies and warehouses. It's the perfect spot for it.

Worst part of CG if commuting north is the 20 mile white knuckle section of I-10 that has not been widened to three lanes. Almost every time I drive up I see at least one accident and often the nastiest multi-car accidents I've ever seen have been along that stretch of freeway. I breath a huge sigh of relief every time I make it through unscathed.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:25 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
All about Location. Casa Grande has some amenities and there are some big projects planned or under way down there. It is less expensive as it is not part of Metro Phoenix and is far removed from the Valley. I wouldn't really call it a commuter city unless you want to drive/add 33 miles to a commute before you hit Chandler/Phoenix on I10. That is what...an extra 10 gallons of gas and 5-6 extra hours in the car per week?

Old 09-08-2021, 10:24 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
I think its a place you consider when you want to be NEAR phoenix, but not in it

At this point there isnt alot there, and it will probably be a very popular town, aside from those who want to live NEAR phoenix, but dont want to pay the prices of housing and such; also, its not the place to live if you want alot of nearby culture, good food, and a variety of things to do with family and friends.

But, as I said, not every one wants to live within a large metro area like the Valley is now

Old 09-08-2021, 11:54 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
One of the issues I have with people moving to AZ from other parts of the country is they try to compare AZ with their current home. I many other states once you get outside the major metro you find these quaint little towns with character and a homey feel. In AZ most of these outlying towns are desert communities populated by people that wanted no part of development. Consequently they are not welcoming environments. Developers eventually built homes because the area is affordable. But amenities are often lacking.

I am often asked about buying in these desert communities. Yes, the houses are cheap but then you have to live there. Keep in mind if you have to put $200 month into your gas tank, (not counting the wear and tear on your car) you may be better off putting that $200 into your mortgage. When it comes time to sell you will be ahead.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:34 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times
So - as often is the case - I must come to the defense of Casa Grande - even though I recently moved into the Robson Ranch Community which is technically in the city of Eloy - 1 mile outside of CG city limits.

BUT, I still work in CG and am active in the happenings in the city - so I ll make a few comments:

1. Nowhere did the original poster say they needed a commute - or even wanted to be near Phoenix. They merely noted accurately that home prices in Chandler/Gilbert are quite a bit more expensive. So, without more information as to the OP desires - making an assumption the 30 mile drive to Chandler is a big deal seems premature.

2. CG is BOOMING right now - to the point we cannot keep up. There will be close to 2000 homes built this year in Casa Grande as well as several "single family rental" communities. It is no longer hard at all to find custom homes in the 750K-1 million range just outside the city if having land is what you desire. Heck, many homes in the Robson Community where I am now are going for 600K plus.

3. Amenities are arriving daily. While CG at 60K population is not the Phoenix metro as some point out - more and more are starting to come here now - heck we are even getting a Texas Roadhouse that should open in the next couple of months! ALDI is coming here as well and just was recently approved. Of course CG already had all the "basics" in place and still does including a full service mall with Harkins Movie Theatre, both Lowes and HD, Walmart Supercenter, lots of new restaurants and more coming.

4. LUCID MOTORS has started work on Phase II of their factory. Phase I is just under a million sq ft and has 1000 employees in place and should be shooting cars out the door in the next month or so. Phase II will be an ADDITIONAL 2.4 million sq ft in the next 2 years and will bring another 3K or more employees. Not to mention the subcontractors and the jobs they will bring. AND, while Lucid is the big game in town now - VERY SOON will be a couple of gangbuster announcements which will mean thousands of more jobs. In the meantime some smaller projects are underway including the recent announcement of Air Products building a factory here. Some of you may have seen the Air Products facility in Chandler near the Chandler Mall. The plant in CG will be similar.

The city is about to embark on a MAJOR infrastructure and image enhancement projects (like 50 to 100 million worth), some of which has already begun - so the "look and feel" of the city will change quite a bit. These projects are being funded from the impact fees of all the homes being built.

NOW, I am not afraid to say what CG is still LACKING versus the valley proper. There is no "millennial" or similar age group social scene here yet. We do not have a downtown Gilbert, Chandler, or similar area yet. BUT, it is being worked on - and as demand increases for such an area - I am confident it will come.

In the meantime - yep - it is CHEAPER here. So if COMMUTE is not a big factor, or one does not mind it - going to either Phoenix or Tucson is not that big of a deal.

Been a while since I did a CG support rant! LOL

Hope this helps the OP though.

ETA - I forgot to mention I 10 between CG and Chandler. YES - IT SUCKS! But, I am FINALLY hopeful that any federal infrastructure plan approved will mean this stretch is completed. Pre-planning is well underway - just need the money.

Old 09-08-2021, 01:37 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,274,277 times
I will just never understand why someone would willfully live in a place like Casa Grande. No offense, but I just don't get it.

If I'm going to be so far removed from a major metro, I would be living on a farm in the country. You know, small town living. What you are describing CG is "going to be" sounds terrible. Basically it's turning into another Valley city, just surrounded by miles and miles of desolate desert.

I can imagine living in CG is just like living in Buckeye (probably looks the exact same), except you are literally in the middle of nowhere. Actually, kind of like Maricopa, but way, way, way farther. I'm sure the vast majority of new builds are also on postage stamp size lots, just like the Valley.

Old 09-08-2021, 02:19 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I will just never understand why someone would willfully live in a place like Casa Grande. No offense, but I just don't get it.

If I'm going to be so far removed from a major metro, I would be living on a farm in the country. You know, small town living. What you are describing CG is "going to be" sounds terrible. Basically it's turning into another Valley city, just surrounded by miles and miles of desolate desert.

I can imagine living in CG is just like living in Buckeye (probably looks the exact same), except you are literally in the middle of nowhere. Actually, kind of like Maricopa, but way, way, way farther. I'm sure the vast majority of new builds are also on postage stamp size lots, just like the Valley.
OK - first - Maricopa and CG are basically the same distance from the "valley" maybe 5 minutes difference - so CG is not "way way out there" compared to that city - or Buckeye for that matter with the slight difference that Buckeye has Avondale, Goodyear, Tolleson, etc. in between so it "seems" closer - but unless you have some specific need to go to Avondale - why would you? My point is that using Downtown Phoenix as a Pinpoint - Buckeye is 45 mins away, Maricopa is 46 mins away and CG is 53 mins. Unless you are COMMUTING (where 20 extra minutes a day in the car may be a pain) there is no difference to any of these cities to occasionally venture into Phoenix.

For many like me - we can do 99 percent of what we need on a daily basis

Where CG has the advantage over Maricopa for sure, and Buckeye to some extent is there are JOBS and Infrastructure so REQUIRED trips into those locales are much less frequent. Plus with CG you have the option of TUCSON if you prefer that scene (or for example Tombstone as I did last weekend), or San Diego straight down the I 8. Of course Buckeye offers a quicker trip to Los Angeles, etc., and the attraction of Maricopa is that it is NEW.

But, it sounds like you have not been to CG or the others in a while. Yes, they likely will look like any other valley city and are already smaller versions - but that is the same almost anywhere in the country - CHAINS RULE now - and places that don't have them yet - want them to come in - so every city looks basically the same.

As such, if you can live with LESS of that for awhile - in exchange for less expensive housing - for whatever reason - it is worth considering. Many want SOME of the benefits of a large urban metro - but can deal with the occasional visit for what is not in their town - but they want good schools, work opportunities, and other things close - but can live with fewer of them for most of the time.

Apparently many thousands agree since all 3 of the cities you mention - and SanTan Valley and others as well are growing like crazy.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:33 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigourneyanderson View Post
Hi all,

We are doing some research on relocating to AZ and are looking at CG. From what I can tell it looks like basically a commuter city. Homes seem to be large and cheap. So much so that it makes me wonder if there's something wrong with the place, i.e. comparable homes in Chandler and Mesa seem to be $100k higher.

Anything to be aware of?

Thanks!!!
Chandler is close to Phoenix, has many high paying jobs, has good schools, low crime, nice shopping and is considered a bit upscale. Mesa IMO isn't as nice but is a very large suburb and close to Phoenix. There's nothing wrong with CG IMO, it's just further away from Phoneix so you have drive time and hassle to consider although some people like me, like that you don't have a frenetic traffic situation there in CG and yards are typically larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona