Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2021, 01:03 PM

416 posts, read 535,986 times

Advertisements

Their plan for 17 north of Anthem has a potential flaw. They are going to add a lane coming into BCC and it will go back to 2 lanes at Exit 244 the base of the hill. Then on the weekend use the flex lanes. All they are doing is creating a bottle neck on the weekdays. What they need to do is permanently have the new 3 lanes feed into the existing 2 northbound lanes and turn the existing 2 southbound lanes into 2 more northbound lanes.
One of those 2 existing lanes can be used for trucks, RV`s or anyone towing a trailer. Then the other 2 lane road can be for cars or light pickup trucks only. The new 2 flex lanes can be the new southbound lanes or they could make it a 3 lane road. As planned right now there are only 2 southbound lanes feeding into the new flex lanes and they are going to have the new northbound 3 lanes feeding to the old 2 lane at 244. Not sure about switching freeway directions when we already have drivers going the wrong way on freeways. Just some random ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 10:47 AM

456 posts, read 1,499,896 times
They are adding 2 new lanes, on the south side that will be the flex lanes. NB on Fri, SB on Sun. I agree that there will be bottlenecks at either end of the flex lane, but something is better than nothing. I would like to see NB truck traffic and RV traffic restricted to the original 2 NB lanes to prevent backups caused by one semi passing another at .5 mph on the hills.
Adot has a good video of the proposed lane additions here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbJNh2hlso0

Old 11-06-2021, 01:20 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,637,451 times
Just a band-aid solution to I-17. A true fix would be widen the interstate to 3 lanes both directions from Anthem to Flagstaff.

Old 11-06-2021, 04:31 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Just a band-aid solution to I-17. A true fix would be widen the interstate to 3 lanes both directions from Anthem to Flagstaff.
True, but at least it's a step in the right direction. What I'm concerned about is the how long it will take because ADOT may not be able to complete the project within the anticipated timeframe with state funds (based on their past blunders). My guess is they're waiting for the infrastructure bill to be signed into law so they can milk off the teats of the feds ... and even then, they might end up squandering it.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:41 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
This^^^ A few weeks ago we were in a traffic backup due to a semi accident for several hours from Cordes Junction to Anthem. This small section like said above is only a band aid solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona