Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 07:02 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Actually he said he has no need for low-wage earners because we as a society should just do everything ourselves.
Read back. He did not say that. He said - " Didn't anyone teach you how to cut your own grass, fix your own faucet when it leaks or God forbid pick up a broom when the floor needs sweeping? Newsflash! Some us can do that ourselves and don't need low wage earners to do it."

Reading comprehension should be a required attribute for participation on the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 07:17 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Read back. He did not say that. He said - " Didn't anyone teach you how to cut your own grass, fix your own faucet when it leaks or God forbid pick up a broom when the floor needs sweeping? Newsflash! Some us can do that ourselves and don't need low wage earners to do it."

Reading comprehension should be a required attribute for participation on the forum.
So, you will be leaving?

He said some of us don't need low wage earners to do it. All of us need them. Sure, we can do some things for ourselves but certainly not everything that low wage earners do.

So, where do you suppose the low wage earners should live? And, how should they live?

I for one am thankful for the people that do those jobs.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:21 PM

Good one, I liked that! You missed his point though....

Old 03-17-2022, 07:57 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:

He said, “some of us…don’t need low wage earners”. Reading comprehension.

That’s a ridiculously elitist hot take and a moronic one at that.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
He said, “some of us…don’t need low wage earners”. Reading comprehension.

That’s a ridiculously elitist hot take and a moronic one at that.
Quote - "Some of us can do it ourselves and don't need low wage earners to do it." Hint - When you take select words out of a sentence you change the context, I know that's a news flash for you, Bro. Careful who you call moron.....says kettle to pot....

Old 03-17-2022, 08:13 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
These days I have a hard time finding landscapers to work at wages I was paying a few years back. So, I do much of the landscaping on my rentals myself.

If you're a skilled electrician you easily earn 80k and work your own hours. Same with a top notch plumber. In fact those who are skilled not only can name their price but they also won't travel far. They've usually got enough work where they live.

On the other hand if you have few marketable skills then you take what work you can get and share an apartment or house.

As a landlord what I've seen over the last few years when I list a rental are the number of calls where it's three adults wanting to move in. A married couple and a family member. Or three friends.

We all know the COL in the Phoenix metro has gone up fast. The middle class is fleeing Cal and AZ is a popular destination. I don't see this stopping anytime soon.

Rent control? If it comes anywhere it'll be in Phoenix or Tempe. But why hang around waiting for something that may or may not happen. If you're single and not happy...leave. I can understand the difficulties a couple with two kids might have up but someone single? Go.

Last edited by john3232; 03-17-2022 at 09:02 PM..

Old 03-17-2022, 08:42 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Quote - "Some of us can do it ourselves and don't need low wage earners to do it." Hint - When you take select words out of a sentence you change the context, I know that's a news flash for you, Bro. Careful who you call moron.....says kettle to pot....
You’re really going to fall on your sword defending some random other poster with a poorly thought out argument, huh? Weird, but I commend the commitment.

You need to re-read and try to grasp the concept being discussed. My point was that we need housing for low-wage earners, because society needs low wage earners. His point was, learn how to turn a wrench and grow an onion. Haha! So, would you like a redo or do you want to defend that silliness?

Old 03-17-2022, 09:04 PM

640 posts, read 448,879 times
Sure! And while we're at it, let's pass a law that gas cannot cost more than $1 a gallon.

Oh, and that nobody should be paid less than $100/hr.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:31 PM

357 posts, read 222,229 times
People who want to say no rent control obviously are not renters and for those who are landlords - of course, you are against it because you want to make as much profit as you can.
The major corporations that are buying homes by the hundreds are the ones that are really making it tough. Just like the corporations that also own a lot of the apartment complexes.

I think the east valley is out of control and to be honest with you I don't know how they are renting most of the homes they do with the requirements needed to qualify for renting a home. If people need to make three times the amount of rent to get in and have a next to perfect credit score, rental history and had current job for at least six months and this is for all individuals on the application- where do these people come from with average rent $2,500 - 3,000 ? If your situation is this perfect why wouldn't you be buying instead of renting?

Old 03-17-2022, 11:54 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
People who want to say no rent control obviously are not renters and for those who are landlords - of course, you are against it because you want to make as much profit as you can.
The major corporations that are buying homes by the hundreds are the ones that are really making it tough. Just like the corporations that also own a lot of the apartment complexes.

I think the east valley is out of control and to be honest with you I don't know how they are renting most of the homes they do with the requirements needed to qualify for renting a home. If people need to make three times the amount of rent to get in and have a next to perfect credit score, rental history and had current job for at least six months and this is for all individuals on the application- where do these people come from with average rent $2,500 - 3,000 ? If your situation is this perfect why wouldn't you be buying instead of renting?
I require 3.5 x the rent. For example a $2400 rental home applicants need to gross 8400 per month/100k per year. I require proof of income usually paystubs. With regards to credit score requirement anything over 700 catches my attention. I'm willing to be flexible on the income requirement if someone has a great credit score. On the other hand anything under 600 I pass on. Less than one year at current job won't work either.

I treat applicants equally and after talking on the phone it's clear most don't qualify. But after a few days I usually have 2 or 3 applicants who qualify and are interested in seeing the property. We met at the house and I go over the do's and don't of renting from me. Then I give them an application.

First person who returns the application and passes gets the rental.

As a landlord 90% of potential problems can be avoided simply by placing the good renters. (I know tenants complain about rentals being in shoddy condition. However, I personally inspect mine before move-in.)

Last edited by john3232; 03-18-2022 at 12:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona