Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 06:32 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times

Advertisements

For most this will be an extended Spring Break. For us in Chandler, they were going to go back on 3/24, so it is just an additional 4 days away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 08:06 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,158,194 times
Yup, unless they extend it. Told the kids they have an additional week off but...we can't go anywhere. At least we have board games and cards.

Just sucks that if it gets extended, it is going to mess with Seniors graduating and Summer schedules. But, it is what it is, I guess.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:12 AM

5,769 posts, read 11,395,221 times
Well, the good thing is the weather outdoors is near perfect at this time of year. Kids can spend some time outside in fresh air and sunshine, one of the best ways to avoid contacting a virus.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:29 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Yup, unless they extend it. Told the kids they have an additional week off but...we can't go anywhere. At least we have board games and cards.

Just sucks that if it gets extended, it is going to mess with Seniors graduating and Summer schedules. But, it is what it is, I guess.
They aren't having the time off in my district. Teachers are going online with Google classroom. Assignments have already been sent out and they will get graded. It does look like AZ Merit testing may not be done, so maybe the kids can actually learn something instead of doing test prep for the next few weeks.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:10 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,158,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They aren't having the time off in my district. Teachers are going online with Google classroom. Assignments have already been sent out and they will get graded. It does look like AZ Merit testing may not be done, so maybe the kids can actually learn something instead of doing test prep for the next few weeks.
Well...problem with that is not all kids have access to a computer. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think of this either but one of our teacher friends pointed out that there are kids that get not only free/reduced breakfast and lunches but there is a grocery program through the district. (I didn't even know this existed.) So it would stand to reason that with the libraries shut down, some kids wouldn't have computers in order to keep up with their classmates.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:58 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...problem with that is not all kids have access to a computer. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think of this either but one of our teacher friends pointed out that there are kids that get not only free/reduced breakfast and lunches but there is a grocery program through the district. (I didn't even know this existed.) So it would stand to reason that with the libraries shut down, some kids wouldn't have computers in order to keep up with their classmates.
Our school students all have Chromes - not the little ones of course, but from JR high on up. They polled the class I am familiar with and only one student did not have a computer or internet at home. This is a Title 1 school. I have a house in WI that has Spectrum cable and they sent out a message that they will install free internet for anyone with a student that needs it. I doubt we would get that from Cox, though.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:59 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,977,873 times
Lock your doors.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:06 AM

848 posts, read 969,410 times
One more week of nice traffic! I always look forward to when school is out for breaks / holidays because morning traffic is noticeably better since we don't have millions of people driving their kids all over the valley to other schools because of open enrollment (or being scared of kidnappers; I don't know).

Previously, Chandler was going to be stubborn and send the kids back to school as scheduled next week, saying that it made more sense to have them at school than at home. But the state says otherwise now. In any case, as someone said, not much of a difference for us here.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:35 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
One more week of nice traffic! I always look forward to when school is out for breaks / holidays because morning traffic is noticeably better since we don't have millions of people driving their kids all over the valley to other schools because of open enrollment (or being scared of kidnappers; I don't know).

Previously, Chandler was going to be stubborn and send the kids back to school as scheduled next week, saying that it made more sense to have them at school than at home. But the state says otherwise now. In any case, as someone said, not much of a difference for us here.
Chandler didn't say that, the governor said that. The Chandler district was merely in "wait and see" mode, since they had the luxury of 6 more planned days off of school (8 calendar days) and other school districts had zero.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,623,512 times
Yesterday Govenor Ducey extended the school closures to April 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: