Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 39,779 times

Advertisements

This coming February will be a year since I've moved to Yuma from Connecticut. All I seem to be thinking about lately is how much I want to leave and go back to Connecticut. Everything I have learned and experienced about Yuma is a huge disappointment. It wasn't what I expected it to be. I now know that I should have appreciated my life in Connecticut more. The grass is't always greener. Is there anyone out there as disappointed with Yuma as I am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 07:40 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
What it is that is so bad about Yuma? I guess where I'm going with this is do you dislike Yuma so much or are you just homesick? It's certainly got to be some culture shock living in such different places. From the weather and the landscape to the type of people you're likely to meet, it's a very different place.

Years ago I had a similar move, albeit in reverse (from a small city in New Mexico to North Jersey). It was a hard time, but I stuck it out through my commitment and wound up having some wonderful experiences. I'll admit though, that I did wind up back in the desert but I enjoyed the time in NY before I did. Not having any idea about your situation, I would suggest you give it an honest shot, try to adapt some and give it the time required for that.

We do, after all, live in a free country and if you really want to go home you always can.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:51 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
I dont know much about Yuma but maybe you should consider moving to another part of AZ before retreating back to NJ. Perhaps Phoenix orTucson.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:54 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I dont know much about Yuma but maybe you should consider moving to another part of AZ before retreating back to NJ. Perhaps Phoenix orTucson.
I just dont think he's enjoying the desert, period. Phoenix, Tucson, etc. have more to do, but deep down are very similar. I think he's just aching to be back home and no amount of persuasion will keep him. He's one of the 10 out of 13 folks that move back home. LOL

Yuma is very boring IMO. I found nothing to do there that you cant do in Anycity, USA. The mountains are ok, but IMO Phoenix's ranges are more attractive (ie the McDowells, etc). Yuma is just, well, Yuma! LOL Lets just put it this way: Yuma is like beer. Its a definite acquired taste.

As for the author, if you miss CT, your best bet is to go back. There is absolutely NOTHING in common between AZ and CT. Youre never going to be happy, not in Scottsdale, PHX, Tucson, etc. Its up to you to make up your own mind, thats all that counts/matters.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:54 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
What are the things you are dissapointed about Yuma! My Aunt moved out of their eight years ago, she was not quiet about her negativity of the place.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:45 PM

121 posts, read 662,948 times
Default Yuma Is The Pits!!!!

Yuma stinks!!!!!!! I have been here for 3 years. It has really grown a lot though in the 3 years, but still it is SOOOOOO boring here!! SO BORING!!! In Yuma we are stuck out here in the middle of San Diego and Phoenix. At least San Diego is only 2 1/2 hour drive. oohh how I dislike it here.. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be negative but it does suck here. I guess if you were into quads you would like it, but other wise no thank you...

there is another Yuma thread back a few pages I thinnk...go check it you!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 PM

87 posts, read 642,869 times
What's wrong with Yuma? Well, it's a small town in the middle of nowhere, jobs pay very little, most people are uneducated, quality of life is bad (very little to do, very few decent parks), and last but not least, it gets hotter than HELL.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:40 AM

19 posts, read 117,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I think this is probably the best advice on this thread. It's difficult to pinpoint the source of your discomforture from what you've said, but I think there may have just been too many layers of culture shock in your move. Maybe you don't like being away from the East Coast. Maybe you don't like Arizona. Maybe you don't like the desert. Maybe a city historically dominated by Hispanic culture (as any territory acquired in the Gadsden Purchase will be) isn't a good fit for you. Maybe you don't like heat or relentless sunshine, or the way the aridity cracks the lips and dries the scalp. Maybe it's a smaller city than what you need, or too isolated. Those two things in combination, smallness and long way to anywhere else, can be hard on those from more populous areas.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:23 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
ohhh i am so agreeing with you, I'm right there. i hate yuma. it is a dirty little town loaded with incompetence. i have been here for 2 yrs and cant wait to leave. i have had so many problems here. i cant stand the snowbirds they make it so miserable in the winters and the summers are so unbearably hot. i do love the winters here but the old people ruin it. and i know summer is just around the corner. i am a college student and i have had the most awful experience here with this college no one knows what they are doing, they dont have any answers for you ever. i even had a check from them bounce! so i agree with ya get out soon! run before it traps you here!

Old 01-06-2007, 07:25 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
What's wrong with Yuma? Well, it's a small town in the middle of nowhere, jobs pay very little, most people are uneducated, quality of life is bad (very little to do, very few decent parks), and last but not least, it gets hotter than HELL.
you forgot the dreaded snowbirds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona