Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,729 times

Advertisements

I am a long time reader, first time poster....

Anyway, this is my experience, I have lived in East Mesa for about three years now and I am a married African American woman with two children. As for diversity -- there is almost none! We have not personally experienced blatant racism but you will stand out as a black family. My daughters have been asked about their hair and skin color on numerous occasions.

My husband and I are originally from Southern California and we figured the West was the West. We are used to racial diversity and the “live and let live” mentality... but AZ is a different place.... prior to moving to Mesa we lived in Henderson, NV (just outside of Las Vegas) and even though we lived in Las Vegas we felt more connected to the city and the people. Most of the people that we have met here feel disconnected. Especially, in Mesa where we live the area is mostly Mormon and extremely conservative. My family enjoys amusement parks and the coast so we have decided to relocate to Florida next summer.

I think that there are good things about AZ but before moving here or anywhere do the research. I am a graduate of Arizona State and my family enjoys going to the college games but there is not much more for my girls ages 8 and 13 to do especially in the summer. We do have a pool but there is only so much swimming you can do especially when the water gets hot (the 110 -120 degree temps heat the water) in the summer. I think if we knew then what I know now we would not have come to AZ.

Don't get me wrong there are still a lot of questions about the move to Fl and yes it is humid -- but for me I will take humidity and diversity over dry hair, skin and lack of culture any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 05:47 PM

206 posts, read 939,556 times
I've been in AZ for over 3 years, we're in Goodyear (west valley) and I have to agree w/ rcmsw. Most of Queen Creek is Mormon and VERY conservative. Also, there is a ton of homes that aren't selling out there leading to foreclosure, etc. Also check into the schools, AZ is not known for good schools. We moved to Goodyear primarily for the schools. Good luck to you.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,459 times
Phoenix, Arizona is a great place to live. I suggest coming out in the summer time to test the extremely warm weather. That's about the only cruel thing out here, except for the occassional jerk or two but you'll find them in every state.
Good Luck. Jobbing.com is a good place to post a resume.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:43 PM

50 posts, read 296,083 times
Racism is everywhere..I'm white and my husband is hispanic/black and we have 2 girls---we've lived in predominantly black areas and we've lived in predominately white areas...we live in CA currently and we still get the "lookie loos" but you have to take it with a grain of salt---we have found that while people may not understand or feel threatened, that seems to stop once they get to know us and realize that we are people too! And besides, if you don't like it, well then LOOK AWAY!!! We've been married for over 17 years and you learn to develop a sense of humor at the uninformed!

Seriously though, I do still have concerns because of my children, I won't tolerate them being mistreated and can be very vocal about that! There are jerks or morons everywhere and in every state----don't believe that just because it's California we are "all laid back" and have that attitude, I've actually dealt w/more racism here than in other areas!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 54,108 times
I would like say that my wife and I have been together for 17 years and we hacve 2 girls 15yrs and 4 yrs.....we are thinking of moving to Yuma, Az. I have been offered a job with a Christian radio station as the station manager....please someone tell me more about Yuma.
Churches:
Schools:
Housing:
and anything you can think of

I would like to mention that we are an interacial couple, I am hispanic/black, she is white and our girls are very beautiful.....they are daddy's lil princesses.

I am very much involved in youth ministry and I sing on our chutch worship team and direct our youth worship team. I am a motivational speaker and love people
I will be heading out to Yuma next week to see if I am going to accept the position......help me out.

thank you

P.S.
Please be as honest as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona