Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2022, 02:49 PM

721 posts, read 996,878 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move from Tucson AZ to Massachusetts. Can anyone on here recommend a mover here that they have used and was happy with who could make that long distance move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 12:43 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
In my civilian career with the Army I was in the business of moving and storing Household Goods (HHG) on a worldwide basis. During the 1970s and 1980s when we had a huge DoD we were spending over $1B per year on the HHG programs. There are a few things I recommend.

1. Get a Binding Estimate (BE) before signing any contract or hiring a mover. Call a reputable Van Line (VL), one of the main ones with names we all know (National VL, North American VL, United VL, Aero Mayflower VL, Paul Arpin VL, Interstate VL, Bekins VL, etc). The major VLs will be glad to give you a BE. With a BE you know, up front, exactly what you'll pay. They visit your house and look at everything you need to pack, ship and/or store. They will give you a firm fixed price that is binding on their part, the price will not change. If you pick a low bid carrier and do not get a BE there is a high risk that at the end of the move they will demand you pay $$$$ extra because of some nonsense. They will hold your HHG hostage until you pay. The Federal DOT has tons of complaints on file from people who've been scammed by these fly by night carriers; we always referred to such creeps as rag-bag carriers.

2. Pay a bit extra for full value insurance (FVI). Federal transportation law only requires them to pay $1.25 per pound for your lost or damaged goods. Your 80-pound grandfather clock, worth $3500.00 will only gain you $1.25 x 80 ($100.00) if it's lost or destroyed. FVI is not expensive and can save you a ton of grief.

Check out these threads for more info:

- https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...ving-some.html

- https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...nce-mover.html

Hoping you have a smooth move.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-10-2022, 02:11 PM

6,761 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Can't rep you at this point, Mike, but thanks for the useful info!

Old 10-15-2022, 03:48 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Can't rep you at this point, Mike, but thanks for the useful info!
I repped them in your stead. That was a extremely thorough answer. Hey OP, if you don't mind me asking, where in Massachusetts will you be moving? I'm from there.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:46 PM

110 posts, read 118,767 times
Not a Van line moving company, but if money is a concern, there's always u-haul pods.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:29 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,109,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdesertdude View Post
Not a Van line moving company, but if money is a concern, there's always u-haul pods.
OP - On your other thread I gave you my experience with U-Haul pods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: