Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2023, 07:21 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times

Advertisements

I can not get a straight answer about emissions testing requirements and private party used cars.

I just bought a used car private party, It has a check engine light, I knew this and the problem is more difficult than I initially expected, long story. The previous owner disclosed everything. The owner stated that it doesn't matter it has an intermittent check engine light because he still has a valid emissions test on the car for the remainder of the year of registration. So I don't worry about it.

I saunter in to register the car at them MVD and the lady starts the paperwork then stops and says you haven't had the car emissions tested.

So I show her this excerpt from myazcar.com

Q: How do I register my vehicle?
A: Arizona has a two-step process:

Your vehicle must pass emissions prior to registration.
You may register on-line at azmvdnow.gov or simply mail the bottom portion of the emissions test certificate with your renewal notice and registration fee.
Q: What if I purchase a used vehicle?
A: If you purchase a used vehicle from a private owner and the previous owner had an emissions test done on the vehicle, that emissions test will be valid when transferring ownership. If they did not have the vehicle tested, you will have to have the vehicle tested yourself. If you purchased the vehicle from a dealer, the dealer is required to have the vehicle pass emissions prior to sale.

She explained to me that people get this wrong all the time. She said It means that if the prior owner had the car tested within 90 days of the sell. Not that he had it checked a year and a half ago it is still valid.

BUT! That is not what the myazcar.com website says. It gives no time frame.

I asked a car dealer friend and he said private party emissions testing lasts as long as the registration renewal and is transferrable and that that lady is on something.

I want to get this straighten out and find the relevant clause if I get another dumb MVD person I can show it to them. Or if it is true, then I know for the future.

What's the story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 09:32 PM

680 posts, read 716,810 times
Did you ask to see the manager?

Did you call the DMV state phone number? You could get a hold of one of those people and record their answer.

I have had experiences at the dmv on Ina rd (Tucson) where I had problems with one clerk telling me I could not register a vehicle. Then, I decided to do some research and figured out she was wrong. I then went back into the same dmv later that day all prepared to start a war. I ended up with a different clerk. He registered my vehicle with no problems.

Maybe its just a matter of how they were trained, their comprehension of their own rules, or they are snarky and want to cause trouble.

Old 06-03-2023, 11:20 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
Did you ask to see the manager?

Did you call the DMV state phone number? You could get a hold of one of those people and record their answer.

I have had experiences at the dmv on Ina rd (Tucson) where I had problems with one clerk telling me I could not register a vehicle. Then, I decided to do some research and figured out she was wrong. I then went back into the same dmv later that day all prepared to start a war. I ended up with a different clerk. He registered my vehicle with no problems.

Maybe its just a matter of how they were trained, their comprehension of their own rules, or they are snarky and want to cause trouble.
No I did not have time, but I called later and the lady on the phone confirmed the same thing. Has to be emissions tested. What the website means -- according to two DMV employees now-- is that If the individual tested the car right before they sold it, it would transfer. but if they had done the emissions test more than 90 days ago it does not transfer.

I was hoping for more answers and more evidence of people not needing to emissions test a used vehicle.

Old 06-04-2023, 09:53 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
No I did not have time, but I called later and the lady on the phone confirmed the same thing. Has to be emissions tested. What the website means -- according to two DMV employees now-- is that If the individual tested the car right before they sold it, it would transfer. but if they had done the emissions test more than 90 days ago it does not transfer.

I was hoping for more answers and more evidence of people not needing to emissions test a used vehicle.

Regardless, I would NOT want to drive a vehicle, New or Old, Registered or Not, with the Check Engine Light ON.

Find a qualified mechanic, determine the problem and have it fixed.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Old 06-05-2023, 11:40 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Autozone will do a free OBD2 check and let you know what codes it is throwing and probably why. If it is emissions related, sometimes it is an easy fix and the State will kick in ~$900 to help you fix it.

CEL is an automatic fail though, as you know. You can get a 3 day temporary I think to do the repair work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: