Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:00 AM

2,342 posts, read 1,735,214 times

Advertisements

Okay, so White Line Fever (1975; Jan-Michael Vincent, Kay Lenz) is a campy movie - hey it's the 70s, right? I remember being a young kid of 14 when it was released to the theaters, and with my paper route earnings I went to see it. But it was on TV recently and I'd forgotten that the scenery of the trucking on-the-road scenes is really beautiful.

The credits say it was filmed entirely in Arizona, and I recognized Monument Valley, but yet still there were several other road scenes showing monument-like formations that led me to ask, "Wow, where is that? And where is that?" I'd like to find those places, for some possible future road trip. I love Monument Valley and have been there a couple of times. There's only one highway through it, US-163, so that's already solved. But what are the other highways and areas shown in the film? On IMDB (White Line Fever (1975) - Filming Locations - IMDb) some locations are listed (and pasted below) but they are vague and general. I'd like to know what roads, highways, and areas were in the movie? The scenes looked like they were on US or AZ state highways. Lots of small 2-lane highways. None of the interstate scenery looked interesting.

Below are locations identified in the IMDB Lovations link above. I removed the city / town / urban locations, and also Monument Valley. If you're familiar with any of these locations or with the movie, please share details of where I can find the movie's beautiful scenery. Ideally, include a link to an image search's results.

- Saguaro National Park, Tucson, Arizona
- Sierrita Mountains, Arizona
- Navajo Nation, Arizona
- Green Valley, Arizona
- Sonoran Desert, Arizona
- Mount Lemmon, Arizona
- Rincon Mountains, Arizona
- Santa Rita Mountains, Tucson, Arizona

Especially if you're familiar with the movie and its scenery, please share. But it's an old movie that came out 42 years ago, so it may have been a while since you've seen it. If you like the southwest USA landscape like I do, check out the movie! (But turn the volume down because the music is beyond campy.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 02:21 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
I don't have your whole answer, but I'll bet you've never been to Arizona. I'm not sure if I've even seen that movie, but the locations are typical of backroad/highway Arizona. You'll find a lot of 'monument' type formations all over the Navajo nation, for example, not just in Monument Valley.

At first, I thought that some of the highways may no longer be just two lanes, but I believe that they still are. A google maps search will help you find the rest of your answer.

Folks say that Cali has some breathtaking landscapes, not to be beaten. But I'm going to gamble that those same folks haven't been down the lonely highways and back roads of Arizona.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:25 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I don't have your whole answer, but I'll bet you've never been to Arizona. I'm not sure if I've even seen that movie, but the locations are typical of backroad/highway Arizona. You'll find a lot of 'monument' type formations all over the Navajo nation, for example, not just in Monument Valley.

At first, I thought that some of the highways may no longer be just two lanes, but I believe that they still are. A google maps search will help you find the rest of your answer.

Folks say that Cali has some breathtaking landscapes, not to be beaten. But I'm going to gamble that those same folks haven't been down the lonely highways and back roads of Arizona.
+1 The area between Arizona and New Mexico is not only empty but beautiful. I once took a drive from ABQ to Tucson and went through the Bass Array. That will always be one of the greatest drives ever.

ABQ-->Socorro-->Datil-->Reserve-->Mule Creek-->Morenci-->Safford

Old 01-14-2017, 07:44 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

This one, if you take it, you would never forget it. I've never taken it - I know of the locations, somewhat, though. I have lived in both states, and they're both beautiful. This drive would leave dents in your brain that would never leave you.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:20 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Although by Morenci I meant Three Way, nevertheless you are correct Elko. We're in a special place.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:05 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Although by Morenci I meant Three Way, nevertheless you are correct Elko. We're in a special place.

No doubt. I aim to return to either one some day. Can't wait.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:

Why would you say that? I've been to and through AZ a few times - north and south rims, Jacob Lake, Marble Canyon, Page, Canyon de Chelly and Ganado and Chinle, Mexican Hat, I've been across 10 and 40 a few times. Sedona and Cottonwood,... others...

The southwest has some of the greatest scenery. Yes it is a special place.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Why would you say that? I've been to and through AZ a few times - north and south rims, Jacob Lake, Marble Canyon, Page, Canyon de Chelly and Ganado and Chinle, Mexican Hat, I've been across 10 and 40 a few times. Sedona and Cottonwood,... others...

The southwest has some of the greatest scenery. Yes it is a special place.
I meant no offense and stand corrected.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
That is a good one. Last July I took a trip through Springerville and ended in Blue, AZ.

Springerville, AZ -> Pie Town, NM -> down a lonely dirt road (W Bar Rd -> Pie Town Rd, etc) to NM 12 west of Datil -> Reserve -> over another rough dirt road (Pueblo Park Rd. - high clearance vehicle and not for the faint of heart) to Blue, AZ.

Just after Christmas I went down old US 666.

Eager -> Alpine -> Clifton -> Safford

Two awesome drives.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I meant no offense and stand corrected.
No worries. I didn't take offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona