Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 PM

22 posts, read 54,484 times

Advertisements

I have a very simple question about the auto mechanic's that are in Kingman and the surrounding area's,have they been trained and certified by the national association of auto mechanic's school.I have talked to at least 50 to 60 people about their auto repairs that they have paid to done correctly,most everyone has stated to me that after paying several hundred dollars [ they still have the same problem ] plus some new problems.I myself have paid to have all 4 drums replaced and all new brakes installed,after they said it was completely done-my wife got into our truck to leave and almost hit another truck because the brakes did not work.I question the manager and the mechanic and the mechanic stated that you can use your emergency brake,I asked why he did not adjust the new brakes -he said that the brakes on a 1992 chevy truck are not adjustable,I told the manager that his mechanic did not know what he's talking about and that if my wife or I hit someone because the brakes do not work because they were not adjusted [ that we would file a lawsuit ] I also thanked them both for stating what they stated
because my tape recorder taped them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:42 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey896 View Post
I have a very simple question about the auto mechanic's that are in Kingman and the surrounding area's,have they been trained and certified by the national association of auto mechanic's school.I have talked to at least 50 to 60 people about their auto repairs that they have paid to done correctly,most everyone has stated to me that after paying several hundred dollars [ they still have the same problem ] plus some new problems.I myself have paid to have all 4 drums replaced and all new brakes installed,after they said it was completely done-my wife got into our truck to leave and almost hit another truck because the brakes did not work.I question the manager and the mechanic and the mechanic stated that you can use your emergency brake,I asked why he did not adjust the new brakes -he said that the brakes on a 1992 chevy truck are not adjustable,I told the manager that his mechanic did not know what he's talking about and that if my wife or I hit someone because the brakes do not work because they were not adjusted [ that we would file a lawsuit ] I also thanked them both for stating what they stated
because my tape recorder taped them.
1992 Chevy truck with 4 wheel drum brakes?

Unless your vehicle is a 2 Ton or larger; something is wrong with this picture-------all C/K3500 pickups or smaller that year had front disc brakes.

The above stated: the rear drum brakes are indeed adjustable.

I am an alignment, brake and front end man by trade.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:50 PM

125 posts, read 477,853 times
LOL....I am a senior master Ford tech and master ASE certified working on cars for 20 years, people dont realize that it comes down to the mechanics personal honesty and pride in doing the job right the first time, every one is different, I know ASE master techs that do very poor work at best. I also know people with no certifications that I would let work on my car. Every shop I have worked in has some of both

I would ask around for others opionions and if they have established a good relationship with a good mechanic look him up !

Long story short....."trained and certified " doesnt mean SQUAT !

Old 07-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman View Post
LOL....I am a senior master Ford tech and master ASE certified working on cars for 20 years, people dont realize that it comes down to the mechanics personal honesty and pride in doing the job right the first time, every one is different, I know ASE master techs that do very poor work at best. I also know people with no certifications that I would let work on my car. Every shop I have worked in has some of both

I would ask around for others opionions and if they have established a good relationship with a good mechanic look him up !

Long story short....."trained and certified " doesnt mean SQUAT !
It gets 'better': about 10 years ago I took my ASE tests in driveability and engine rebuilding on a lark and; damn if I did not pass!

Note that I know virtually nada about the above aspects of vehicle repair............

Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 AM

125 posts, read 477,853 times
I just do the best and most honest work I can and let the chips fall how they may.

Bear, what shop do you work at ? you can pm me if you want. It is about 90 with 70 dew points here in Wisconsin, no shops are air conditioned either, only time of year I can sweat off all my spare tire

Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman View Post
I just do the best and most honest work I can and let the chips fall how they may.

Bear, what shop do you work at ? you can pm me if you want. It is about 90 with 70 dew points here in Wisconsin, no shops are air conditioned either, only time of year I can sweat off all my spare tire
I am presently in the Phx area-------complete with 106F and 60 degree dew points right now. 'tis a tad bit warm.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 PM

22 posts, read 54,484 times
Default Attention-ArizonaBear !!!!

I said that i had all new drums and brakes installed.Every car and truck that i've ever had always had adjustable brakes,i don't believe that a auto repairman is just suppose to take the brakes out of the box and install them onto the car or truck and say it's done!! My uncle was an auto repairman for over 40 years and said that if you do not adjust ever brake that your not going to stop when you need too.My problem got taken care of real fast when i told the repair shop manager that he would hear from my attorney [ because i have been recording the entire discussion ] the brakes all of a sudden became adjustable.I'm not saying that the auto repairmen in the Kingman are not trained,all that i am asking is how well trained are they?I have 5 people in my area that have told me that everything was running good but just wanted to have their auto's checked out,all 5 say that it was a big mistake because now they do have major problems.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey896 View Post
I said that i had all new drums and brakes installed.Every car and truck that i've ever had always had adjustable brakes,i don't believe that a auto repairman is just suppose to take the brakes out of the box and install them onto the car or truck and say it's done!! My uncle was an auto repairman for over 40 years and said that if you do not adjust ever brake that your not going to stop when you need too.My problem got taken care of real fast when i told the repair shop manager that he would hear from my attorney [ because i have been recording the entire discussion ] the brakes all of a sudden became adjustable.I'm not saying that the auto repairmen in the Kingman are not trained,all that i am asking is how well trained are they?I have 5 people in my area that have told me that everything was running good but just wanted to have their auto's checked out,all 5 say that it was a big mistake because now they do have major problems.
Which model of truck do you have? 1/2 Ton? 3/4 Ton? 1 Ton?

If such is the case: that is odd that your rear drum brakes were not adjusted when the shoes were replaced------especially on a 6 or 8 lug wheel bolt pattern Chevrolet, they are quite easy to do.

Needless to say: disc brakes on said Chevy trucks are self adjusting by their basic design

Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Which model of truck do you have? 1/2 Ton? 3/4 Ton? 1 Ton?

If such is the case: that is odd that your rear drum brakes were not adjusted when the shoes were replaced------especially on a 6 or 8 lug wheel bolt pattern Chevrolet, they are quite easy to do.

Needless to say: disc brakes on said Chevy trucks are self adjusting by their basic design
Excellent points, 'Bear. This whole story is so bogus. There are a couple hundred autombile repair shops listed in the Kingman Phonebook. Hundreds! I find the OP's habit of referring to all the mechanics in Kingman, as if they're a single entity, to be narrow-minded to the point of being offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona