Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:04 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times

Advertisements

I recently did a ride along with one of the Sheriff's Deputies that patrols the New River/ Desert Hills area. He tells me that there is a high percentage of criminals on probation that live in that area and they also have a lot of burglary, wife beating, and juvenile misdemeanor calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 AM

4 posts, read 22,336 times
Thank you for your reply ScoutAZ. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. When checking weather further North, it seems that Cottonwood, Prescott Valley, Camp Verde, etc. get cold in winter. I'm searching for warm winter climate (50-60's). Are there suburbs of Phoenix that offer that climate during winter and yet still have affordable housing? I would like to purchase a retirement home for the October-April season. Where should I be looking?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM

96 posts, read 532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLANE View Post
Thank you for your reply ScoutAZ. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. When checking weather further North, it seems that Cottonwood, Prescott Valley, Camp Verde, etc. get cold in winter. I'm searching for warm winter climate (50-60's). Are there suburbs of Phoenix that offer that climate during winter and yet still have affordable housing? I would like to purchase a retirement home for the October-April season. Where should I be looking?
I guess you have to think about the trade off between peace and quiet vs. warm weather. Phoenix and surrounding areas are in the low desert and you can almost guarantee yourself daytime winter temps in the 50's and 60's. the winter is one of our two brief rainy seasons. I have lived in the Phoenix area for almost 35 years and remember no more then about 7-8 days of temporary snow accumulation in that time. As Phoenix is in a valley, higher elevations on the fringe (Cave Creek, Carefree, Wickenburg, Rio Verde have greater insntances of snow accumulation that lasts for about 6-8 hours. In order to find peace and quiet in the Phoenix area you may need to head to the fringes (No. Peoria, Goodyear, Queen Creek, Casa Grande) and committ to hunkering down in your neighborhood. Bear in mind that Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the United States and the total SMSA is about 3.5 to 4.0MM

Some of the other places I mentioned (Cottonwood, Rim Rock, Camp Verde, Prescott Valley) are in the high desert. Winter day time temps typically range from the 40's to 60's with a reasonably high chance of internittent snow in the Prescott area which is about 1500 feet higher in elevation then the nearby Verde Valley where Cottonwood and Camp Verde are located.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:50 AM

16 posts, read 65,233 times
Default Relo from NY

Check out a place called "Viewpoint Resort", it is located in East Mesa with beautiful views of the Superstition mountains. It is a large retirement community, but very nice property. Go to equitylifestyle.com and you can look at it. I have to go out there to work a couple times a week, and I think "Gee...I sure hope I can do all the things these people are doing when I'm retired". They all look like they really enjoy themselves and the place is very nice. Good Luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 AM

4 posts, read 22,336 times
Thank you ScoutAZ. You are very kind. I'm going to visit and do some shopping!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ndless View Post
New River is Awesome. It sucks trying to get out there in the afternoon, but you really don't need to come into town for anything unless you work in phoenix. Anthem is 2 minutes south and has a few grocery stores, a walmart, and an outlet mall.

As for the Scenery, its beautiful. I love every part of new river, if I had the money, Id build a house up there in a heart beat.

There is little to no crime, I have never heard of anything ever happening up there besides the occasional car accident..

Deer Valley School Discrict is a great one, I would reccomend it over most disctircts here.

There is a few familes there, but the houses are typically spread out, and you will often not meet most of your neighnors.

Did I mention there is a nudist colony up there?

If you looking to move somewhere, I would highly suggest New River.
I am considering moving to New River to be near family living in North Scottsdale. Are there particular neighborhoods that are more or less desirable? One home I looked at seemed to be near an area that might be frequented by ATV'ers or dirtbikers. While I ride a motorcycle myself, I'd rather do without the noise of a bunch of crazy riders.

What are the outdoor recreation possibilities?

Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
New River is a desert...it's pretty IF you like hot and dry and rugged, but there is only a "River" when we have Monsoon rains. I don't know about crime there, it's in Maricopa County, but up the highway in Yavapai County (I am employed by Yavapai County Sheriff) you have Black Canyon City which, sadly, does have a lot of criminal activity, mainly drugs. It's all a matter of personal taste and what one considers "beautiful" I suppose...but I would head for Spring Valley, Dewey, Chino Valley, etc...not as hot.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,925 times
Default absolutely

If you like to get away from the stink noise and chaos of the big city. then yes, New River is perfect for you. As new river is about 5 miles from anthem you have a pretty decent choice of stores to shop at. There is only one elementary school in new river that is a very good school. I myself have attended it and would recommend it to anyone. New river is surrounded by mountains and breathtaking views. The crime rate is at 0, there is no violence. In fact the median income of a family in new river is about 80,000 to 90,000. Homes and land in new river are pretty expensive. I would suggest living in new river to anyone who wants to have a lot of room to explore. If you have a family moving to new river would be a very good idea. I have lived here for about 17 year's I plan never to leave.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
There is no such thing as 0 crime in New River. New River/Desert Hills abuts Anthem, it's not 5 miles away.

Here is some information about the area dated 2011...
New River crime information
Statistic
New River /100K
Arizona /100K
National /100K
Violent crime 162 (estimate) 426 302
Property crime 1,345 (estimate) 3,531 2,849
Total crime index 1,507 (estimate) 3,957 3,151
Put this data on your website •The estimated New River crime index is 61% lower than the Arizona average and and the Arizona crime index is 25% higher than the National average.
•The estimated New River violent crime rate is 61% lower than the Arizona average and and the Arizona violent crime rate is 40% higher than the National average.
•The estimated New River property crime rate is 61% lower than the Arizona average and and the Arizona property crime rate is 23% higher than the National average.

Did you know?
•New River is safer than 56.1% of the cities in the nation.
•The crime rate in New River is less than 83% of the cities in Arizona.
•The estimated chance of being a victim of a crime in New River is 1 in 67.
•The estimated chance of being a victim of a violent crime in New River is 1 in 617.
•The estimated chance of being a victim of a property crime in New River is 1 in 75.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the New River/Desert Hills area can be found here...
https://www.city-data.com/city/New-River-Arizona.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona