Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:47 AM

911 posts, read 2,155,984 times

Advertisements

a friend of mine is moving to Arizona, so i'm a little curious about some things, especially the weather and what you do about it.

like when the temps get to 120degrees, what do you do?? how long can you stay outside? do you even go outside?? is it kinda like up north you don't really leave your house in the winter, only you guys don't leave it in the summer?

do your air conditioners actually work ok in temps that hot? are there ever advisories to stay inside due to the heat? (like here, they tell you sometimes that if your outside more than 10-15 minutes u risk frostbite, and advise you to stay indoors unless necessary)

i know that it's less icky cause of less humidity, but still, it gets HOT and stays HOT there! is winter there the more outdoorsy season?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:00 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
It has only been 120 in PHX a couple times in the history of the place. 110-114 is more common and even that averages only about 10 days per year though it does seem to be more frequent of late. Actually the peak temps that occur in June around 115 are better than the 102-108 stuff we have right now. In June it is dry as a bone and mornings are pretty nice, while its sort of muggy right now and temps stay up at night.

Anyway, most people just go about their business just like where you live and do in the winter. Roads aren't icy and hazardous and you don't fall and break something in the parking lots. You can be out in the heat for quite some time as long as you have water - no frostbite. You can walk right out of the house without putting on coats, boots, gloves and hats (on the kids too). So you shop, go to movies, out to eat etc. Basically you go from one air conditioned space to another unless you have a job outside. You can leave town and be in temps in the 70s in about two hours. It's OK in the mornings and reasonable bearable after sun sets. No doubt, though, many people just sit in the house (AC works fine), watch TV and wait for October.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
a friend of mine is moving to Arizona, so i'm a little curious about some things, especially the weather and what you do about it.

like when the temps get to 120degrees, what do you do?? how long can you stay outside? do you even go outside?? is it kinda like up north you don't really leave your house in the winter, only you guys don't leave it in the summer?

do your air conditioners actually work ok in temps that hot? are there ever advisories to stay inside due to the heat? (like here, they tell you sometimes that if your outside more than 10-15 minutes u risk frostbite, and advise you to stay indoors unless necessary)

i know that it's less icky cause of less humidity, but still, it gets HOT and stays HOT there! is winter there the more outdoorsy season?

thanks!

I guess I rarely thought about the "heat" until I was much older, but as a kid (born here, raised here) you don't think about hot weather all that much. Hmmm... except for that time I walked barefoot across a tin roof...

Other than that, most people acclimate. They adjust to their environment, like any where else. You tend to come out more often during the cooler moments of a day (early morning, late evening, cloudy days). Even on RAINY days!

People try to park their vehicles as close to shade as possible. They tint the windows on their cars, and even their homes. They put up awnings and shades, and plant plenty of shade trees and bushes in strategic areas.

People wear wide hats (not necessarily sombreros!), and loose clothing. They wear shorts and flip flops. They drink plenty of water. They go swimming. They go up to Mt lemmon, which is at 8000' elevation, and is about 26 miles away! They go shopping in air-conditioned malls, which is wonderful.

Home air conditioning (A/C) can be expensive because it uses 220-240 voltage, but people do use them during certain times of the day, especially during our calendar monsoon season (June 15 through Sept 30) - which is when Arizona is at its most "humid". I guess the word "humid" is rather relative when you live in the Arid Zone. Other than that, evaporative (or swamp coolers) are used. Plenty of fans in the house help as well.

And yes, normally, every season but summer, are the most "outdoorsy" seasons. That's pretty much it. Perhaps others here can give you more specifics.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:45 AM

150 posts, read 457,762 times
What would be a typical electric bill when running your air conditioning per month???

Old 08-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Depends on where in AZ one lives. Up north in Prescott, Flagstaff, etc, we do not get that hot, so life is somewhat different here than it is in the pressure-cooker of the Valley cities and towns. And in my silly opinion...114 and 120 really is not that much different. Anything over 100 is too darned hot !!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:00 AM

amen, brother/sister...

it must be nice though to be able to go to the warmer areas when you are too cold, make a day trip out of it.. and be out of the heat when it's too much!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Yup...I prefer it up north (I live in Chino Valley, near Prescott) because within 30 minutes I can be in the warmth or the snow.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM

cool! that's alot more than most ppl can ask for, climate-wise

i'm surprised there isn't more heat-related deaths in AZ though... not alot of places are that hot.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:16 PM

127 posts, read 500,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post

thanks!
I lived there a year. Keep AC ON. (Yes it works in those temps) Around 6-7 pm load the car and head to the library then the park to view a spectacular sunset - feed ducks at nearby lake. It was perfect. Yes, it got intense but people are not walking around getting tans. As long as you are safe (lots of uv protection and chapstick and water) she'll be fine. I miss AZ but it didn't work out for us there.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:04 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I think it's real uncomfortable here from mid-May to mid-September. Averages 103-107 those months. Humid in July and part of August, humid for us that is.

A/C works fine in the hot, hot weather. People do errands in early am and late eve. Pools help. Keeping blinds closed. Awnings on your house and trees around windows help. Common sense stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona