Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 02:24 AM

270 posts, read 1,110,012 times

Advertisements

A certain builder did this while building a community: they planted all the trees in the paper pots they came in, without cutting the paper. Now all the trees are doomed because they are root-bound. I was told none of the trees could be saved... is that true? I wonder what would happen if the homeowners could dig around the root ball of each tree to expose the paper, cut it, then back fill the soil? Is this unrealistic? would it encourage the roots to grow out? How about if the trees get 15 - 20 min soaking daily? Could that help decompose the paper?

Please offer suggestions, especially if you are well educated in this field!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
Seems to me that any truly paper pot would dissolve eventually...certainly the roots can make their way through. I've seen tree roots burrow through the cracks in brick!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 AM

229 posts, read 655,696 times
Default Tree's in Paper pots

I have seen them grow rather well in paper pots. The only thing is that they need water and they will dissolve. But if you are still concerned, wait until fall ( late) and dig them up and cut the paper off and open the ball up. You may have to dig a little further down and wider to promote the root growth.
Then cover up to about 2 inch above the ball and wet down and cover then with mulch. But stay away from the red color mulch.
Anita

Last edited by chrokee69; 09-29-2008 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: correct word

Old 09-29-2008, 09:14 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
Why don't you check with a nursery or landscaping company and see what they say? I've always thought that was the purpose of the paper pots - that they actually nourished the tree while they dissolved. I fear you would do more harm than good by trying to dig up the plant, which might damage any roots that have already made their way through the paper. Plus, exposing the tree roots to the air isn't too good either. If the trees are recently planted it probably won't matter, but if they've been in the ground for a while it might be risky.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:28 PM

270 posts, read 1,110,012 times
I have spoken to my neighbor who is in the landscaping biz... he said the trees were actually planted in wooden boxes! Yikes! So that really made the situation more severe...

We are having a residents meeting tomorrow night and we shall see what happens.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:54 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
I have spoken to my neighbor who is in the landscaping biz... he said the trees were actually planted in wooden boxes! Yikes! So that really made the situation more severe...

We are having a residents meeting tomorrow night and we shall see what happens.
Oooh. Not so good. What idiots did that???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona