Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:21 PM

15 posts, read 49,846 times

Advertisements

Whatever you decide, please do not base your decision on CareCare7 or LAWomans imput. CareCare7 says "Rent. It is a buyer's market and contrary to what you may have heard". I am not sure, but in a Buyer's Market you want to BUY. Appently CareCare7 would wait until it is a Sells market and have no negotiating leverage whatsoever. The only thing I agree with her on, is doing your home work on the pricing.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 06-30-2007 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 AM

23 posts, read 79,185 times
OK...... whats the GIS website. Or exactly how is it spelled. IM renting and want to buy but want to know exactly what the owner has in the place since its a down market in this spot. He dropped the price 90K upon my moving in to see if I would just buy now. I would like to buy but not at some of the (IMHO) inflated prices in this subdivision. Plus a very simular home 2 blocks away (same subdivision) recently sold for what I would like to pay for this house.

Since im new to AZ.... I say rent then buy.... you will learn alot in a short amount of time and DO NOT listen to what realtors tell you , some still think thats its a boom time.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:47 PM

45 posts, read 150,121 times
I think your best bet is to rent for a year, get to know the city, and then decide where you want to live. It wouldnt be too good if you commited to a house and didn't like the area or the traffic. I would suggest North Phoenix/North Glendale. I-17 and Happy Valley Area is really nice, and low cost for renting and buying, since we are just north of the city, but in 10 years, I am sure anthem will be a part of phoenix at the rate we are expanding north.

You can find a nice 4br house for 1300/month.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,776,076 times
Rent first. Find out if you really like your job, the schools, the traffic, the neighborhood, or the heat for that matter. It's better to research the area while you're here. Realtors must be optimistic even in bad times because otherwise, they'd sell less. It's not like there is a scarcity of homes, or developments out here. Put your money in a CD or whatever until you find something you really like.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:26 AM

112 posts, read 425,469 times
The county GIS is the website that shows a property location, parcel number, owner, most recent taxes, recent improvements, the owner's physical address, how much the owner paid for the property and what year it was bought. Google "(insert county name here) GIS" and you will find the websites that allow access to that info. Typically, the GIS database allows you to locate a property's info by the address, parcel number, or owner's name. If I recall, GIS stands for Global Information System.

Last edited by carecare7; 07-09-2007 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: added information

Old 07-09-2007, 11:36 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,092,174 times
EDnurse said it right.

Unless you are intimately familiar with an area and know
exactly what you want and where you are working, then
buying is just dumb.

If you are patient, you can always get a good deal on a home
later on. Getting a good deal on a home makes up for any
movement in interest rates.

It's real easy to lose money on real estate and your losses
can be almost open-ended. It's also very easy to get trapped
into a terrible commute. If you are renting, you know up-front
how much you need to budget.

LVGAZ sounds like they have a property they are trying to unload
in Val Vista Lakes. I have nothing against Gilbert, but people should
do the exploring for themselves and ASK QUESTIONS.

I'm trying to sell a home in the Phoenix area, but it's in a secret location.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 PM

31 posts, read 131,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carecare7 View Post
The county GIS is the website that shows a property location, parcel number, owner, most recent taxes, recent improvements, the owner's physical address, how much the owner paid for the property and what year it was bought. Google "(insert county name here) GIS" and you will find the websites that allow access to that info. Typically, the GIS database allows you to locate a property's info by the address, parcel number, or owner's name. If I recall, GIS stands for Global Information System.
Thanks for the info, carecare. The only GIS I can find has a fee. Is this the one you're talking about?

Old 07-10-2007, 08:14 AM

23 posts, read 79,185 times
Pinal County Assessor's Office - [GIS: Main]

Here ya go 100% free......... ive used it well lately and found out some interesting information about the area I live in. Oh for the record, realtors are LIARS...... least thats what ive found so far. What they tell you and what the truth is are 2 different things. Looks like I will be able to purchase a 500K home (in 05) for low 300's. Good luck to you.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 AM

16 posts, read 53,393 times
Default Renting Verse Buying, Key things to remember

I've read posts that suggest renting is the way to go over buying right now. Reasons range from a saturated and unpredictable market to the interest rates are rising. Something to remember was the mid 1980's interest rates. 16% was very common. Anything under 7% sounds pretty good to me. Next the market is always unpredictable; if we could predict the market I presume a lot more of us would be millionairs. ;-)
Finally, most americans overall monitary value is in the equity of their own home. They appreciate. The market goes up and down but one thing is for certain, if you ride it out your home will increase in value at an average of 3% anually.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,272,415 times
I read yesterday that the 3% yearly gain has only been since the 80's. Going back to the earliest data the gain per year is equal to the inflation rate, so it's a net zero gain. The best gains are going to come from the riskiest assets, a house isn't in that category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona