Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 23,263 times

Advertisements

We are a retired couple considering buying a home and a little land in the Florence area. I want to buy a horse for riding, and wandered if anyone can tell me the cost of keeping a horse in this area of Az. What I'm looking for is cost of hay, grain etc. I would be keeping the horse on my own property , so I won't need a boarding facility. We are coming from a farm in Ohio , so hay / alfalfa was always grown on the premises. Thanks ,Sandy & Ed

Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 PM

135 posts, read 542,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazsandy View Post
We are a retired couple considering buying a home and a little land in the Florence area. I want to buy a horse for riding, and wandered if anyone can tell me the cost of keeping a horse in this area of Az. What I'm looking for is cost of hay, grain etc. I would be keeping the horse on my own property , so I won't need a boarding facility. We are coming from a farm in Ohio , so hay / alfalfa was always grown on the premises. Thanks ,Sandy & Ed
I can't exactly speak for hay prices down in the Florence area, but here in Phoenix we are paying between 7.00/7.50 a bale. That was last week's price and that was a $.50/bale increase from the week before. Can't say what's driving the price up right now, but expect it's because winter is coming and cutting will stop, also fuel/diesel prices have gone up again. If you have funds and have a place to store hay/alfalfa, buy in bulk (roadsiders/88+ bales)and the price goes down. There might be a small delivery fee for this service. In recent years, we've had hay/alfalfa prices as high as $11.00 a bale.

I don't worry about 'graining' except if I'm riding hard every day or it's excessively cold overnights, then I use a COB mix (rolled corn, oats and barely).

Also, if the animal is older...17+ years old..I will feed a of mix with molasses in it. It's labled as a 'senior mix' at the feed store, and I only use it if the animal is having a problem keeping his weight in the cooler weather. I stay away from heavily 'corned' pellets, too. This is just my personal preference.

Check the local feed stores when you get to Florence, before you buy.
My big guy (1000+ pounds) eats a bale and a half a week, and he gets worked once or twice a week this time of year. Less during the summer months, it's too hot to ride unless you can trailer somewhere cooler.

Shots, including WNV can be given by the owner here in AZ. It saves a $$$ on vet bills. The feed store can help you there, too. I worm when the farrier comes out to trim or shoe, about every eight weeks. You can get wormer paste at the feed store, too. Prices vary.

Farrier's differ vastly, you will have to shop for one you will like and that will do the job for you when you need it done. Talk with the people at the feed store, they can make suggestions for you, there too.

Hope this info helps you.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:52 PM

Yes, thanks for the come back. Yes my horse will be big also, I think around 10 or 12 is a good age. I am retired, but super strong. We are thinking about buying there in Florence, but we are also looking at the Buckeye area . We are from Ohio to start with, then bought a real nice place here in Mexico. We want to come back to the states. I'm going to buy either a big quarter horse or a through-bred. I just wanted to know the cost of keeping a horse in Arizona. I had a real big Arabian horse around 16 hands about 1300 pounds, that I bought here in Mexico. He was a great horse, really smart. He got cancer of the pancreas and died last year.. Here in Mazatlan hay is 16 dollars a bail, a little bail at that, grain is 16 dollars a bag, then again a small bag. Can the large round bails of hay be purchased in Arizona, like we used to bail in Ohio? We want to stay in a warm climate, so that's why we are thinking Arizona. Ohio is too cold. Prices here in Mazatlan are really high for a lot of things, it is a tourist town, also, you can't own a gun. It just will be good to get back to the USA. About climate, what kind of housing ,do you need to keep a horse in that hot Arizona summer? All of your advice is very much appreciated. Thank you , Ed

Old 11-19-2009, 02:37 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
You might like the Buckeye area better, as land with irrigated pasture would be a bit more common. I don't see the large round bales around here any more, but I've never thought of buying them, so I don't know for sure. As far as shelter, access to shade is the most important, pasture is great if you can get it, as the ground is then cooler also. I see horses out standing on dirt without enough shade, which is a bad combination in the summer!

I know some people who have pens or stalls and pasture reverse the normal process and turn them out at night in the summer, keeping them under cover in the heat of the day.

We use those fly masks as well, those are pretty much a necessity to keep flies from their eyes, especially in the warmer weather.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You might like the Buckeye area better, as land with irrigated pasture would be a bit more common. I don't see the large round bales around here any more, but I've never thought of buying them, so I don't know for sure. As far as shelter, access to shade is the most important, pasture is great if you can get it, as the ground is then cooler also. I see horses out standing on dirt without enough shade, which is a bad combination in the summer!

I know some people who have pens or stalls and pasture reverse the normal process and turn them out at night in the summer, keeping them under cover in the heat of the day.

We use those fly masks as well, those are pretty much a necessity to keep flies from their eyes, especially in the warmer weather.
I agree with Observer53, you will probably find the Buckeye area more to your liking. There is a large horse community out there and many places to ride even from home. You will find many quarter horse people out there, as well as people who ride Missouri Fox Trotters, TN Walking horses, and mules of all shapes and sizes. I'm not talking about 'show' people either, these folks I know in that area are all 'trail riding' folks.

Horses are funny creatures, if they have shade in the warmer months, they tend to stand in the sun, the flys don't bother them as bad as when they are in the shade... I have shade available and he uses it when he wants to. It's usually just a pole structure with a tin roof or other covering and no sides. It's good to have shelter for them when the weather turns, too. We have pasture which has a few trees, and is also irrigated, we rotate the horses out and back.

Yes fly masks are a must here. Not only will they keep the flys at bay around the horses eyes, but they protect the yes from the bright sun.

Just to recomment on buying hay/alfalfa....I don't see any rolled hay like you're speaking of, but right now a bale is running 90-110 pounds. I shop around not necessarily for price, that is a consideration, but I look for weight, too. If it's an 80 pound bale of good to excellent quality, I might take it just because the price is right. Then on the other side of the coin, a 90-110 pound bale might look like junk and I'll pass on it because of the quality. So shopping what you feed is important. Again, graining is uncommon unless you're working the animal hard every day. The price varies for what you might want, usually $15-16/ 80 pound bag.

I'll say welcome home. Have a great day.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, it really helps a lot. Also talking about the type of horses people ride. On our farm in Ohio, we got maybe 200 round bales of hay a season from it. After we quit raising beef cattle, the last few years there, we gave hay away to people who wanted it. Funny then I didn't care about horses that much, and didn't even own one for years. I hadn't rode since I was a young man and my Granddad raised horses. I had forgotten how much I loved to ride. Then we moved to Mexico, I got right in to them again, I rented one ,to ride on the beach ,and that was all it took . I went from there. So now a few years later ,my love of horses is rekindeled... well you know the rest of the story,( Paul Harvey,) LOL. By the way, what does a big, stout, gelding cost in Arizona? I want one that can move out fast, but is still a good trail horse and I weigh around 220 lbs. Ed

Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, it really helps a lot. Also talking about the type of horses people ride. On our farm in Ohio, we got maybe 200 round bales of hay a season from it. After we quit raising beef cattle, the last few years there, we gave hay away to people who wanted it. Funny then I didn't care about horses that much, and didn't even own one for years. I hadn't rode since I was a young man and my Granddad raised horses. I had forgotten how much I loved to ride. Then we moved to Mexico, I got right in to them again, I rented one ,to ride on the beach ,and that was all it took . I went from there. So now a few years later ,my love of horses is rekindeled... well you know the rest of the story,( Paul Harvey,) LOL. By the way, what does a big, stout, gelding cost in Arizona? I want one that can move out fast, but is still a good trail horse and I weigh around 220 lbs. Ed
Okay, I'll offer my advice. But consider I'm prejudice to my walking horse breeds. They are excellent on the trails, and in rough terrains. They are gentle of temperment and easy to handle. Their ride is smoothe, some call the walking horse breeds 'the cadillac of breeds' for their smoothe rides. But then it's all a matter of personal preference.

I've found Quarter horses can't keep up with the walking horse breeds in stamina, but they are great out of the gate and short bursts. Just as an example, my big Missouri Fox Trotter gelding (at 16+hands) will carry "you" all day (8+hours), rest overnight, then carry you again the next day for 8+ more hours.

Prices....vary from $900.00 to $4500.00. But big caution here! You get what you pay for. The market is way way down in AZ for any breed of horse you might want to buy, so you can find an affordable 'ride' for around $1000.00 to $2000.00 if you want to spend that much.

I would caution against visiting auction houses and sale barns. You never know what issues you're going to get. A private sale from a private person/barn is recommended. Take the time to look at closely and ride each animal you are considering, but then you already know that. Have a vet check done, too. If you decide on Buckeye to relocate to, I can give you the name of the vet I use. He has a large 'equine' facility in Buckeye as well as a small animal' clinic in Glendale.

You can find a local magazine on line that comes out once a month in this area. Here is a website for you. www.bridleandbit.com It will give you an idea what's happening in AZ in the horse world.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 PM

thanks for all you have given us, we may become friends when we move there, ed and sandy

Old 11-19-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
thanks for all you have given us, we may become friends when we move there, ed and sandy

Thanks I'll look forward to it...have any other questions don't hesitate to ask....if I can't answer it, I'll try to provide you with a web page or access to someone else who can help you out.
Peg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona