Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a Concealed Weapons permit
Yes - and I carry frequently 16 38.10%
Yes - and I carry occassionally 5 11.90%
No - But I am thinking about getting a permit 12 28.57%
No - and will not get a permit 5 11.90%
No - I am opposed to the carrying of handguns by civilians 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious -

How many of our Arizona Posters have a Concealed Weapons Permit and actually carry a concealed weapon?

Old 03-05-2009, 05:31 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Have the permit, but only carry when I'm traveling off road and/or remote places.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
I carry always and am covered in 40 states. On the bike I carry openly.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I carry always and am covered in 40 states. On the bike I carry openly.
Open carry just means the bad guy will shoot you first to neutralize the threat to him.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Open carry just means the bad guy will shoot you first to neutralize the threat to him.
Can you point to at least three examples where people who were open carrying were killed in public by complete strangers? How about just two examples? And give me one where a biker was shot while riding because he was open carrying.

Actually, open carrying deters the casual criminal and lets him move on to easier victims, knowing he faces an armed response with me. There really isn't too much random crime out there, where folks are murdered in public by complete strangers. I worry far more about being attacked by an escaped tiger from a local zoo than being shot because I'm open carrying.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:55 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Have the permit, but only carry when I'm traveling off road and/or remote places.
Same here

Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Can you point to at least three examples where people who were open carrying were killed in public by complete strangers? How about just two examples? And give me one where a biker was shot while riding because he was open carrying.
I'm telling you what I was taught at my carry class. I think I'll take the instructors word over yours, thank you.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 PM

I've taken a few carry classes in several states and don't recall any instructor citing an example of an open carrier being targeted. Think for yourself and try to remember the last time you read about such an incident. I work in the news business and can't recall one. The converse of your argument could also be that carrying concealed makes you more of a target because not showing your weapon provides no deterrent to the criminal.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I've taken a few carry classes in several states and don't recall any instructor citing an example of an open carrier being targeted. Think for yourself and try to remember the last time you read about such an incident. I work in the news business and can't recall one. The converse of your argument could also be that carrying concealed makes you more of a target because not showing your weapon provides no deterrent to the criminal.
Well, maybe my instructor was better than yours. Think what happens if you inadvertently stumble into armed robbery in progress. The shop owner is lying in a pool of blood because he tried to defend himself and lost. The perp sees you waltzing in with a piece in a holster. What do you think happens next? He will shoot you preemptively. Here's another scenario. A tweaker is driving a stolen car on a rural road when he sees you on your motorcycle packing heat. He bumps you off the road to steal the gun off your corpse. Or you're walking down the road with your open weapon holstered, and somebody comes up behind you and smacks you across the head with a 2x4 to steal your gun. Or maybe they just shoot you with theirs so they can add your gun to their collection. Are you telling me you've never heard of a perp taking a cop's gun away? What makes you think that can't happen to you? I can think of scenarios like this all day long that wouldn't happen if you carried concealed. The only time a perp is going to see my gun is for a fraction of a second before I shoot him.

And BTW, I've probably read more newspapers than you've delivered in your lifetime, so that doesn't impress me.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:

And BTW, I've probably read more newspapers than you've delivered in your lifetime, so that doesn't impress me.
Ha! That's a good one.

There are endless nightmare scenarios anyone can come up with as justification for or against both concealed and open carry. I open carry on my bike mostly because it'd be too hard to draw from concealment with all the riding gear on. And escpecially when way out in the desert, where I have concerns about wildlife. But I also like to outrage anyone with CA plates on their car by passing them on the left so they can see my right hip.

You still haven't pointed to a single example of open carry getting someone killed. It's ok, since I know it's very rare and you don't want to bother with a Lexis Nexis search. But just think a little before repeating things others told you. I overheard a vendor at a gun show a few weeks ago tell someone that carrying a 1911 cocked and locked would be considered premeditated murder if it was used, even in self-defense, and the case made it to a jury. Great reason to buy a DAO gun, eh? Lots of crazy theories and stories out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona